ROM Manager Success w/ JellyBean!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Against the brtter judgment of seasoned, tenured "hackers" and phone whizzes, I have had my phone working pefrectly since Friday. No random reboots, and JB is super fast, slick, and the up-swype Google option is pretty damn cool.

So for the $6 or so bucks it was to buy Rom Manager, it was worth it. A lot of avoided hassle, support for the dev's, and a phone that got the latest and greatest ROM package: JellyBean!

BTW: Running Vicious Jelly Bean w/ 3.031- franco.kernel-384GPU if anyone is interested.

Lastly, I have SetCPU maxed out at 1651 GHz and my benchmarks have outdone the HTC 1 X according to Vellamo by about 2200/1500.

I'm so glad I decided to give up my Rezound. Couldn't imagine still being on GB.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are running JB w/ franco's kernel you'll the Franco App w his r217, the latest nightly JB kernel, and using that app to configure everything over SetCPU.
Most of the benefits, at least in my opinion, of using Franco's kernel comes from being able to configure the multitude of settings he makes available in his stuff. Specifically the color control settings which still blow me away at how awesome they make the screen look. Too bad he can't magically make the camera better too, then there'd be no downside to this phone at all.

With respect to Rom Manager, I agree to a point. I think there's a purist attitude out there among many that using ROM Manager is some how "cheating" or taking the easy road out. Personally, I'm all for any tool that makes my life easier and I count ROM Manger among those tools.
However, there is something to be said for being proficient in the manual way for when you totally mess something up and can't get stuff to boot.

Most of JBs tweaks aren't really going to show up on a benchmark. Those scores are probably a result of running at 1.6. JB's increase speed is mostly a result of tweaks done to make you think the screen is more responsive and more fluid. At least that's how I understand it.

I for one am waiting for AOSP to drop, that's when I think we will see JB really shine. There are many devs out there that are only tweaking and playing with JB right now while they are waiting for official source code to start with. I think we will see that about the 3rd week of July.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you are running JB w/ franco's kernel you'll the Franco App w his r217, the latest nightly JB kernel, and using that app to configure everything over SetCPU.
Most of the benefits, at least in my opinion, of using Franco's kernel comes from being able to configure the multitude of settings he makes available in his stuff. Specifically the color control settings which still blow me away at how awesome they make the screen look. Too bad he can't magically make the camera better too, then there'd be no downside to this phone at all.

With respect to Rom Manager, I agree to a point. I think there's a purist attitude out there among many that using ROM Manager is some how "cheating" or taking the easy road out. Personally, I'm all for any tool that makes my life easier and I count ROM Manger among those tools.
However, there is something to be said for being proficient in the manual way for when you totally mess something up and can't get stuff to boot.

Most of JBs tweaks aren't really going to show up on a benchmark. Those scores are probably a result of running at 1.6. JB's increase speed is mostly a result of tweaks done to make you think the screen is more responsive and more fluid. At least that's how I understand it.

I for one am waiting for AOSP to drop, that's when I think we will see JB really shine. There are many devs out there that are only tweaking and playing with JB right now while they are waiting for official source code to start with. I think we will see that about the 3rd week of July.

JB is beautiful now. If it gets better as time goes on, I'll be thrilled! I agree w/ your benchmark comment. I'm running a lot of juice out of my motor. I tune it down when in daily driver mode.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am glad that ROM manager worked out for you and honestly surprised that it did. Good luck with Jelly Bean but I would still urge you to get to know manual recovery. Believe me it will be your friend.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm so glad I decided to give up my Rezound. Couldn't imagine still being on GB.

Nice move...but don't tell the folks in the Rezound Forum you said that...they'll throw a lot of monkey poo at ya and tell you that you can easily have that "unofficial but really it's official" ICS running on the Rezound :confused: I had a Rezound, played around with it for about a week, loaded the ICS leak, and happily went back to my Droid Charge, before I decided to pick up the Nexus. I love this thing.

And definitely try to get used to manually flashing, etc. It WILL save you at some point if/when you start flashing new stuff every day or so. And flash-away you will. :D

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I cant get ROM manager to do a back-up on my phone. Ive tried with a few different versions of JB and none of them work. I keep getting this "e: volume unkown..." something error and it crashes. :'(

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I cant get ROM manager to do a back-up on my phone. Ive tried with a few different versions of JB and none of them work. I keep getting this "e: volume unkown..." something error and it crashes. :'(

Are you doing a nandroid backup from within recovery?

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you doing a nandroid backup from within recovery?

lol - right after I posted this I tried again and its currently back up now.

I was going through ROM manager, and once you hit "back up my current rom" it sends the phone into recovery mode and automatically starts the back up process. Thats when it was crash after 10 seconds or so until just now. So far so good.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
lol - right after I posted this I tried again and its currently back up now.

I was going through ROM manager, and once you hit "back up my current rom" it sends the phone into recovery mode and automatically starts the back up process. Thats when it was crash after 10 seconds or so until just now. So far so good.

Cool.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz