Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been talked about before bout I'd like to pose this question for all to discuss to get some good feedback. I'm Rom'd using a the newer 4.1.1 JB ASOP with a 3.0.31 I'd hope stock kernel. Since switching to JB 2wks ago & trying several of the rom & kernel's out there I seemingly can't find a good combo that provides any better battery life than I was getting with the 4.04 OTA update. In fact its almost worse than before..... maybe I'm doing something wrong as I've used stock, the kernel that came with the rom, diff ones running with roms to no avail. Plz AC forum community gimme some ideas or your thoughts. Thnx everyone!!

VZW Galaxy Nexus Rooted & Rom'd on JB 4.1.1

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, the JB ROMS don't get as good battery life as with ICS. I am not sure if this is due to the Google Now integration or not. Bottom line is to get full functionality from Google Now, you need to allow location services and Google services full access to your phone in order to have it tailor to your habits. I have been using Vicious V2 since day one with trinity kernel's with no issues. Better battery life than stock or Franco, but still not as good as ICS so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: michael styles

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Ya I figured this was true with JB but it's just hard to understand how all these other people are getting double or triple the previous battery life now. I'd like to have something manageable enough to get me thru the day with avg to above avg use & not see it die. I have the 2100 mhr Battery too. Oh wells was hoping for better news or more posts to grasp some different ideas to help.

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Someone said the Faux kernel gets really good battery life but its OC'd to 1800mhz and I didnt find it very stable.

Part of the trick on kernels that are OC'd is to use a CPU app like SetCPU to put governors on the speed limits and thus helping battery life.

Right now im on the Vicious JB 4.1.1 v5 that was released this afternoon. It has the Imoseyon's Jelly Bean Kernel which is OC'd to 1,650mhz but I have SetCPU set at 1200. Hoping this kernel will battery.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Vicious V5 also, the kernel is a lean kernel. The standby battery life seems about the same as stock 4.0.4 but the battery consumption when do any thing seems much worse. I wiped my battery stats when I did the install so it's possible that the battery life issue is a red herring. I'm going to let the battery discharge completely so that it can get a good measure of the maximum battery life. I have a 3800ma battery in mine, makes a huge difference. They only cost $20 so there is no excuse for living with the stock battery or the 2100ma battery.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up the Hyperion one for $20 on Amazon. Jelly is not nice to my battery, and I need juice for travel.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like were all in for it with that batt life of these phones with the new JB.....seems more hungry to use that battery when in use. But it makes no sense to me why all the new roms out there even the 4.1.1 is causing all devices(GSM too) to wake from sleep all the time. Hopefully once everything has been gone thru for a bit we can get more solid usage as that was a key ingredient to making JB better was how it shut things down to improve batt life along with all the performance enhancements.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the "best" kernel and ROM combination is going to vary per phone. You're just going to have to try out different combinations and see what works.

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm gonna go back to ICS @ this time for better battery life and stability imo but will most def make the move back to JB as its just to smooth, intuitive, and prob the most complete the Android OS has been. This is why apple is sue happy(again just my opinion) & Microsoft is in a rush to bring out WP8. But sad face on having to go back to ICS for now :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
This phone has dismal battery life. Changing roms and kernels have little effect. I use the hell outta my phone and am lucky to get 8 hrs on any software. To combat the problem, I have 2 reg and 1 ext batt and constantly rotating them between my phone and charger.

I put up with it because this is the best phone out there. It is what it is.

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This phone has dismal battery life. Changing roms and kernels have little effect. I use the hell outta my phone and am lucky to get 8 hrs on any software....

If you're looking for huge gains, you're right. But kernels seem to help more then roms alone and you can get +/- 15% difference in battery life with the right set up.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm using bugless with Franco 220 and I have to say I am impressed.

Current run with Bluetooth/wifi on, live wallpaper, mix of 3g/4g and wifi data connectivity.

Approaching 26 hours with 2 hours on screen. 10% remains. Could easily run 13 hours with 3 hours + onscreen if needed.
I'm happy with that.

Reactions: scubamike

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm using bugless with Franco 220 and I have to say I am impressed.

Current run with Bluetooth/wifi on, live wallpaper, mix of 3g/4g and wifi data connectivity.

Approaching 26 hours with 2 hours on screen. 10% remains. Could easily run 13 hours with 3 hours + onscreen if needed.
I'm happy with that.

There is no way in hell my phone could do that.. I think some phones just get better batteries than others... What are you doing with the 2 hours on screen time? I lose about 1% a minute surfing the web.