Scared to try Google Wallet on my newly rooted Bugless Beast

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I heard, and confirmed with Google wallet themselves that using Google Wallet on unlocked and rooted phones will render the NFC chip unusable which can not be undone without having to buy a new phone.

I don't want to risk this so I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this or if there is a way to prevent it. I miss using Google Wallet

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I heard, and confirmed with Google wallet themselves that using Google Wallet on unlocked and rooted phones will render the NFC chip unusable which can not be undone without having to buy a new phone.

I don't want to risk this so I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this or if there is a way to prevent it. I miss using Google Wallet

I hadnt heard that...its very hard and usually never the case that software would be configured to break hardware.
I'm on bugless but don't use NFC... so I can't confirm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe it only gets corrupted if you flash different ROMs and don't clear the data in wallet first. Also they won't offer any support if your rooted. But I haven't heard anything about it not working or corrupting itself if your rooted.
Edit: I haven't used wallet in months but I'll try this weekend and see what happens.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe it only gets corrupted if you flash different ROMs and don't clear the data in wallet first. Also they won't offer any support if your rooted. But I haven't heard anything about it not working or corrupting itself if your rooted.
Edit: I haven't used wallet in months but I'll try this weekend and see what happens.

This is more or less correct. In any case you can absolutely use Wallet on your rooted phone. You will get a disclaimer bar across the top which is just google letting you know they can't support it on a rooted device, but it works just fine.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

I have no clue how you "confirmed this with Google wallet themselves" since it's entirely untrue. Complete fabrication.

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I have no clue how you "confirmed this with Google wallet themselves" since it's entirely untrue. Complete fabrication.

I did a factory reset a couple months back and when I tried loading GW on m phone again through the market workaround method, I wasn't able to. Having almost $60 balance on the prepaid card, I called them tO see what I could do. The customer service rep first asked what carrier I was in and I said Verizon which they told me they did not support and so they would send me a check of the remaining balance which I since received. During that process I asked the rep what the whole thing about peoples Google wallets not working if rooted and the rep said that when the NFC controller chip registers an unlocked boot loader, it automatically self destructs to prevent unauthorized use of payment services. He called it a security feature. Anyway, you can do a search for documented cases.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used Google wallet on every Rom I have flashed and I lost count on how many times I have downloaded Google wallet and used it on those various roms.
The roms have been both ICS and Jelly Bean based.
I have yet to experience any issue using Google wallet, it's the only thing I use the NFC chip for.
I do clear app cache, and app data, before installing a new version of Google wallet before removing the wallet app.
I never install a new version of Google wallet on top of older version of Google wallet trying to update it.Always wipe the app cache and app data,and uninstall old version of Google wallet before installing a newer version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset a couple months back and when I tried loading GW on m phone again through the market workaround method, I wasn't able to. Having almost $60 balance on the prepaid card, I called them tO see what I could do. The customer service rep first asked what carrier I was in and I said Verizon which they told me they did not support and so they would send me a check of the remaining balance which I since received. During that process I asked the rep what the whole thing about peoples Google wallets not working if rooted and the rep said that when the NFC controller chip registers an unlocked boot loader, it automatically self destructs to prevent unauthorized use of payment services. He called it a security feature. Anyway, you can do a search for documented cases.

Exactly as David said.. Wallet works just fine and whoever told you that nonsense was grossly misinformed, lol :)

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

If somebody did indeed tell you that... they were grossly misinformed. Scratch that... they weren't misinformed, they were full of crap.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I used wallet jus this morning at mickey d's with my jb bb equipped nexus. Worked guud. :)

Typed with my thumbs using Tapatalk2 (;))

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
^^ I just used mine at Micky D's but I'm using Jelly Belly 3.5...and I've never had problems with Wallet and I've had my phone rooted from day one

NRA_Bear

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I've used various versions of Google Wallet on both the VZW 4.0.4 leak and the new Vicious JB ROM without an issue. All I do before dropping a new Google Wallet app in or flashing a ROM is clear wallet data from INSIDE the app (in settings) and then clear the app data from Android settings. I'm unlocked and rooted so I get the stupid warning bar at the top, but it's of no concern to me. I've read about a few folks locking up their secure element by flashing a new ROM without clearing the GW data first, but never by just unlocking the phone.

lebeauc

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Let's say you are rooted and using google wallet with a linked CitiBank card. What happens if someone gets your card information (however) and your card becomes "compromised". Does Google or Citibank have to help you, or are you SOL because you were using Wallet on a rooted device? I realize Citi probably wouldn't care and would probably help you, since most of their CSRs probably don't know what Wallet is. But what if it was a Google prepaid card that was compromised? I realize it's a prepaid card, and you shouldn't load it with tons of money, but just what if?

TrivialTweeter

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

That's your problem right there. You did a factory reset without choosing to "Reset Google Wallet" from within the Wallet App before the factory reset.....This is a known issue. If you happen to have a Nandroid of your phone from before the factory reset you could fix this. If you don't have a backup you're SOL. Sucks.

Take a look at this article for more information and resources.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not so fast there speedy. This is indeed fact. There was a big stink about it not too long ago....

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/28/android-alert-enjoy-using-google-wallet-a-factory-reset-could-break-it-forever/

This isn't what was being discussed tho... the original statement was that using Wallet on a rooted/unlocked phone could break it, which isn't true in the least.

However doing factory resets to flash a new ROM without properly resetting wallet can indeed cause issues.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This isn't what was being discussed tho... the original statement was that using Wallet on a rooted/unlocked phone could break it, which isn't true in the least.

However doing factory resets to flash a new ROM without properly resetting wallet can indeed cause issues.

Yup, learned that the hard way.

The part that REALLY sucks is reading that a fix was "if you have a backup of a ROM that was successfully running google wallet you can flash it and reset Google wallet and all will be fine"

Up until 2 days ago I had ALL of my Nandroid backups since the first time I flashed AOKP. Deleted them all for housecleaning. :(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup, learned that the hard way.

The part that REALLY sucks is reading that a fix was "if you have a backup of a ROM that was successfully running google wallet you can flash it and reset Google wallet and all will be fine"

Up until 2 days ago I had ALL of my Nandroid backups since the first time I flashed AOKP. Deleted them all for housecleaning. :(

Yeah.... mine got borked months ago. I was sad for a day and I got over it. What ya gonna do? lol :)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.... mine got borked months ago. I was sad for a day and I got over it. What ya gonna do? lol :)

Pretty much. I'm not all that butt hurt about it because there are practically no stores in my area that I could use wallet at. Plus I dont go anywhere without my actual wallet.

I just liked google wallet because it made the mcDonalds employees get those Googley Eyes when I made their register beep with my phone."ZOMGzorrz Whats did u dOoo00oo!?" Lol. Priceless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC