Stuck on X Screen of Jelly Bean after Trying to flash Rom

taraloca

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE help me!

I used the WugFresh Toolkit to unlock and root my phone successfully. I then downloaded this:
Vicious JellyBean 4.1 V5
http://developer.clo...n-V5-signed.zip

from here:
[ROM] Vicious-Toro-JellyBean-4.1.1 Fully Functional (07/11/2012 - 3:26PM) - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

And chose to install rom from SD card. My phone has been stuck on the JB loading screen, the colorful 'X' logo for the past 1/2 hour at least. I have tried to take out the battery and restart again to no luck. I did clear the dalvik cache, but did not wipe anything else. Do I need to start again and if so how do I get back to the ClockworkMod screen? I can get to the bootloader screen, but not sure where to go from there.

Help greatly appreciated! I just bought this phone :(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE help me!

I used the WugFresh Toolkit to unlock and root my phone successfully. I then downloaded this:
Vicious JellyBean 4.1 V5

from here:
[ROM] Vicious-Toro-JellyBean-4.1.1 Fully Functional (07/11/2012 - 3:26PM) - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

And chose to install rom from SD card. My phone has been stuck on the JB loading screen, the colorful 'X' logo for the past 1/2 hour at least. I have tried to take out the battery and restart again to no luck. I did clear the dalvik cache, but did not wipe anything else. Do I need to start again and if so how do I get back to the ClockworkMod screen? I can get to the bootloader screen, but not sure where to go from there.

When you flashed it did you first Wipe data? You need to do a full wipe before flashing a new ROM.

Pull the battery and replace it, hold both volumes and power until you get to the bootloader screen, then use volume to scroll to Recovery and power to select.

In recovery do a wipe data/factory reset, wipe the caches, format /system... then install zip from sd card and flash the ROM again (and gapps if you need to, you should know if you had to I don't know if that ROM requires it)... reboot and sit patiently. First boot can take a bit. Report back!
:)

Reactions: 7stringer

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE help me!

Vicious JellyBean 4.1 V5

from here:

When flashing a rom, particularly a new rom, everything must be wiped--data, cache, dalvik, and system (under mounts and storage).

Go to the bootloader, use the volume keys to navigate to recovery mode, and select that with the power button. That'll get you into CWM. Wipe everything and start anew :).

Reactions: 2defmouze

apopularpariah

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I know this is well after the fact, but I'm hoping I can get some help.

I also used Wug's Toolkit to root and everything went fine. I installed Clockwork Mod 5.5 and decided I was tired of Verizon taking for ever and decided to install Android 4.2.

I placed toro-TeamSyEnce-jbMR1 and GoogleAppsPack-4.2.0-JOP40C on my phone and booted up Recovery. I created a backup and saved a file on my PC as well. Then I wiped the factory, partition, and dalvik. I then chose to install the Toro zip once that was done I created another back up, then wiped all, and installed GAPPS zip. I rebooted the system and it sat for about 20 minutes. Pulled the battery and tried to boot again. Same problem. So, I wiped all again, installed Toro, installed GAPPS and I still can't get a boot.

Any input would be great and at this point I'd settle to just have the thing back to unlocked running stock.
Thanks!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
CWM 5.5? Pretty sure the newest CWM for the gnex is 6.0.1.5. The earlier versions weren't updated to support 4.2, but to my knowledge it shouldn't/wouldn't keep you from running a 4.2 rom, just your sd card would be all out of whack. You created a backup in CWM, so you should be able to just restore that for now. Can you post the exact rom and gapps you flashed? I ask becasue the first XDA link that came up when I googled that rom is for toroplus (which is Sprint's Gnex). The VZW gnex is "toro." The proper clean install goes wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, format/wipe system (not entirely needed as the new rom SHOULD do this...just a precaution). Then flash rom, flash gapps, reboot. So, I'm thinking you grabbed a rom for another phone by mistake. Also, I highly recommend using TWRP over CWM since 4.2. It's just better anyway. Easiest way is to download goo manager from the play store, hit menu, select openrecoveryscript. It will install TWRP and remove CWM for you. You can also browse all roms (that are posted on goo) available for your device via the app.Of course, you need your phone to work for that or push via adb/pc.

EDIT: Sorry I see you're aware of "toro." Must've read over it 3x's lol. Either way don't worry this phone is nearly impossible to brick. You may just need to be on a pc to use adb. If you backed up in CWM, just restore, download a different rom/gapps package to rule that out, and try again. I highly recommend these aokp unofficial builds by euroskank. If you're looking for AOSP check out Muzzy's on this page. Too plain for me. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing toro
Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip

Last edited:

femtay

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I am also looking for help - My Droid Incredible froze and is stuck on the colorful X logo after installing Jellybean-inc-RC4.
I have tried to take out the battery and restart again to no luck.
I wiped data/factory reset - wipe cache partition - wipe Dalvik cache - format system.
I am running CWM 2.5.0.1. I installed zip Jellybean-inc-RC4 from SD Card - then gapps-jb42-20121227TINY-signed. Also I cant enable USB debugging to flash. Thanks