No mobile data connection

jmklei0

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
In the last couple weeks, I have flashed some Jelly Bean ROMs, including Vicious v2, v3, Bugless Beast, and now Jelly Belly v3.8.

This most recent time, I flashed the JB bootloader and fixed permissions, like I should have. I hadn't done all that the first few times, as I was unfamiliar with that part of the process.

Every Jelly Bean ROM has put me in this predicament. Every once in a while; maybe once a day or so, my mobile data connection goes missing. I'll hve the grey bars, but no "3G or 4G" and not blue. If I reboot the phone, it's fine.

Additionally, and not sure if it is related, but my Wifi connection sometimes has been avoided due to poor connection.

Any suggestions to maintain my data connection?

Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you do full wipes before moving to a different rom, and don't restore old system data.

Also don't fix permissions, that should not be needed at all.

I'd recommend a full wipe and flash of something like CM10 or bugless, as I'm not convinced of the stability of those other ROMs. On first boot up let it sit for a minute on the welcome screen before touching anything as well, allow the kernel a minute to settle and for data to connect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jmklei0

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I always do a full wipe when switching ROMs. This was the first time fixing permissions. But, it was doing this before then, but only on JB.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What radios are you running btw? They should be the official 4.0.4 ones.. And on that note, switching to the JB bootloader would probably be a good idea too if you have not yet (check the Jellybean Now! Sticky for info on that).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jmklei0

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I did switch to the JB bootloader this last time. Not sure which radio I'm using, but I am using Android 4.1.1 now.

If you go to Setting>About Phone you should see I515.09 FC04 / I515 FC05 if you flashed the newest official radios. If it is anything other than that, you need to go to flashing.

New radios don't come with any of the JellyBean ROMs. You should find Zero's thread on the radios (Here ya go) and download the second on... 4.0.4 radios only. First link contains the updated 4.0.4 bootloader and since you have the 4.1 bootloader there is no need to flash that. Once you do that report back.

jmklei0

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much. I have always been intimidated by the thought of flashing radios from all the talk from experienced developers. After your post, here, I checked out a couple more threads and learned a lot from you and the few minutes spent on those.

So, Baseband Version = Radio Version. Gotcha.

I must have skipped a new radio somewhere along the line flashing newer and newer versions of Liquid ROM a couple months ago. I was still on the 4.0.2 radio (EK05/EK02).

Interesting that there isn't a new radio for 4.1.1 out yet. I guess that will come later. I'll be on the lookout.

I checked my signal strength. It went from -104 dBm to -98 dBm 42 asu (I'm in a large office building - I'm sure it's better outside).

Maybe this will fix my slight Bluetooth issues and the weak wi-fi signals recently.

This is awesome. Thanks! Every time I flash a new ROM I learn something new about my phone.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
What is odd is that I am having the very same problem, but I have the new radios. I did a full wipe when installing BB for the first time when it first came out, then just dirty flashes since then on the same ROM. This just started in the last couple of days.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What is odd is that I am having the very same problem, but I have the new radios. I did a full wipe when installing BB for the first time when it first came out, then just dirty flashes since then on the same ROM. This just started in the last couple of days.

No troubleshooting without clean installs :)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know . . . Just can't bring myself to do it until I try a new ROM, it is SO easy just to flash the update. :0)

I had this issue (the grey bars and no 4g/3g) about a week ago myself. Rebooting wouldnt fix it, resoring a nandroid wouldnt fix it, and I was starting to get worried that my radio hardware might have gotten borked.

The fix was to clear my cache and dalvick cache. After I did that, my radio signal came back with no problems whatsoever. Coincidence? Maybe. But I'd like to think it wasnt :p

Additionally, and not sure if it is related, but my Wifi connection sometimes has been avoided due to poor connection.

This is actually a feature built into JellyBean now. It's listed on the "New Features" list in the AOSP release information. I can try to find a linky if you wish.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc