Scaling governor

pmcd1962

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone point me to an explanation of the different settings and how each setting is different from the other. I've searched and can't find anything. Using AOKP BUILD 39.

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
the basic ones:

ondemand
Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed. - SetCPU website

conservative
Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery. - SetCPU website

performance
Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking. - SetCPU website

powersave
Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times. - SetCPU website

userspace
A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor. - SetCPU website

Interactive

The 'interactive' governor has a different approach. Instead of sampling the cpu
at a specified rate, the governor will scale the cpu frequency up when coming
out of idle. When the cpu comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire
within 1-2 ticks. If the cpu is 100% busy from exiting idle to when the timer
fires then we assume the cpu is underpowered and ramp to MAX speed.

If the cpu was not 100% busy, then the governor evaluates the cpu load over the
last 'min_sample_rate' (default 50000 uS) to determine the cpu speed to ramp down
to. - [Patches] For developers, interactive governor patch for leo kernel
from here.

there's also a long wiki about governors but im not looking for it, and i think franco has an explanation somewhere for the different methods each one uses. ..

what kernel are you using? you can check in settings - about phone

pmcd1962

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Kernel is 3.0.34 cyanogenmod

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Kernel is 3.0.34 cyanogenmod

Word some kernels have unique governors like francos sometimes have turtle etc. They're usually tweaked versions of other govs that the kernel dev cooked up.

I don't remember if cm10 kernel has anything like that.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Word some kernels have unique governors like francos sometimes have turtle etc. They're usually tweaked versions of other govs that the kernel dev cooked up.

I don't remember if cm10 kernel has anything like that.

I don't think they do and I think the CM10 default gov is Interactive if I remember correctly. When I looked at the settings I am pretty sure that the CM10 had Ondemand, conservative, power, userspace and interactive.

Reactions: zero neck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood