Adb Restore - how long does it take?

jjbridges

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I'm a newb at hacking my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I've been following a superguide and have done a full backup using ADB with the android sdk, I've unlocked my phone, restarted, signed in, and now attempting ADB restore.

So my restore has been running for about 3 hours. My backup file includes many images and music totaling a backup files size of 5Gb.

The restore on my phone was showing progress through com packages etc. and then that line went blank. It set there a long time, until I received a phone call. The restore screen never came back, nor showed in Recent Apps. However, the command prompt on my laptop is still running. Also I've found under Disk Activity of the Resource Monitor in Windows to show my backup file name having a steady Read (B/sec) of about 450k.

So what gives? Is this thing going to finish? The Google Account sync actually finished a long time ago and downloaded all my pics anyway.

I've got all my shortcuts but it says "app isn't installed" for all of them. Help please.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I'm a newb at hacking my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I've been following a superguide and have done a full backup using ADB with the android sdk, I've unlocked my phone, restarted, signed in, and now attempting ADB restore.

So my restore has been running for about 3 hours. My backup file includes many images and music totaling a backup files size of 5Gb.

The restore on my phone was showing progress through com packages etc. and then that line went blank. It set there a long time, until I received a phone call. The restore screen never came back, nor showed in Recent Apps. However, the command prompt on my laptop is still running. Also I've found under Disk Activity of the Resource Monitor in Windows to show my backup file name having a steady Read (B/sec) of about 450k.

So what gives? Is this thing going to finish? The Google Account sync actually finished a long time ago and downloaded all my pics anyway.

I've got all my shortcuts but it says "app isn't installed" for all of them. Help please.

I presume it should have finished already; that seems like an awfully long time for only 5 gigs.

jjbridges

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I gave up on it, finished the Clockwork install and su. Download Titanium Backup and it reminded me to allow "Unknown sources" in Security for other software. Maybe that was the holdup. Not sure.

If I'm rooted now, is it okay to attempt a Restore from adb with my original unrooted Adb backup? That's nothing to do with Clockwork anyway right?

jjbridges

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm able to follow the restore process this way:
Open a second Command Prompt in Windows. Change directory to your android sdk platform-tools directory. Run the command 'adb shell'. From the shell prompt run 'logcat'. It continually displays the progress of the restore operation.
Note, I also put my phone in Airplane mode to reduce interruptions.

I can see I shouldn't have had so much music on my phone when I did my backup.

Saiteja Javvadi

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, Thanks for the tip of opening another console window to logcat! I started getting worried after the line showing the "com.blah-blah" thing while restoring stayed constant for a log tie on a single file.
I did and adb backup, unlocked and rooted the phone. Now, I'm in the process of restoring the backup. Does the restore get rid of clockworkmod and root?

GeelongLing

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Hey, Thanks for the tip of opening another console window to logcat! I started getting worried after the line showing the "com.blah-blah" thing while restoring stayed constant for a log tie on a single file.
I did and adb backup, unlocked and rooted the phone. Now, I'm in the process of restoring the backup. Does the restore get rid of clockworkmod and root?
Restoring a backup will remove root but if you don't restore the boot partition then clockworkmod will still work. Hope this helps!