[VZW][LTE] Google wallet build.prop

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It seems as though Google keeps eliminating all the simple holes allowed you to install or update Google Wallet using the play store onto a VZW galaxy nexus.?

?
I got tired of it and modified my build.prop file like d2vzw owners are doing using root explorer to the GSM variant to trick the play store and allow me to install/update it.?

?

1.?????? Made a nandroid backup
2.?????? Reset google wallet from inside the app.? (I had wallet previously sideloaded and installed in /system/app )
3.?????? Cleared the apps cache and data
4.?????? Made a copy of the build.prop file in /system and renamed it to build.prop.bak
5.?????? Using Root explorer I edited the build.prop file in /system to be as follows:

ro.product.name = yakju
ro.product.device = maguro

6.?????? Restarted?and wala Google Wallet found the play store update and was auto-updating to the latest version by itself.

?

I?m rooted running Viscous-Toro-V1 (AOSP), WIFI/BT/GPS fix, FF02/FG02 radios from JRO03O.

?

Now my question since I?m not a genius. Since I?m rooted and ROM?ed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?? The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file but since I?m just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldn?t think but don't know if it?d do harm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WiggyWare

May 29, 2010
Visit site
>> Now my question since I?m not a genius. Since I?m rooted and ROM?ed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything
>> what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?? The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file
>> but since I?m just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to >> a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldn?t think but don't
>> know if it?d do harm.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to try it and see. I'll report back if it blows up.

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues yet.

I read that if you modified your build file to get svoice one will quit working. You can't have both and its either one or the other.

I don't have svoice though so its not an issue for me.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It seems as though Google keeps eliminating all the simple holes allowed you to install or update Google Wallet using the play store onto a VZW galaxy nexus.?

?
I got tired of it and modified my build.prop file like d2vzw owners are doing using root explorer to the GSM variant to trick the play store and allow me to install/update it.?

?

1.?????? Made a nandroid backup
2.?????? Reset google wallet from inside the app.? (I had wallet previously sideloaded and installed in /system/app )
3.?????? Cleared the apps cache and data
4.?????? Made a copy of the build.prop file in /system and renamed it to build.prop.bak
5.?????? Using Root explorer I edited the build.prop file in /system to be as follows:

ro.product.name = yakju
ro.product.device = maguro

6.?????? Restarted?and wala Google Wallet found the play store update and was auto-updating to the latest version by itself.

?

I?m rooted running Viscous-Toro-V1 (AOSP), WIFI/BT/GPS fix, FF02/FG02 radios from JRO03O.

?

Now my question since I?m not a genius. Since I?m rooted and ROM?ed and not going to be receiving any OTA update or anything what would be the harm in leaving the modified build.prop file active?? The d2 owners talk about reverting back to the original file but since I?m just switching from a LTE galaxy nexus build.prop to a GSM Galaxy Nexus build.prop I wouldn?t think but don't know if it?d do harm.

Shouldn't be any harm, you just won't be getting OTA updates. Who cares really, your rooted and can flash any super custom rom out there.
Just renamed the build prop like you mentioned here, rebooted and it instantly upgraded! Nice find and THANK YOU.

Attachments

• 2012-09-13 20.07.23.jpg
    2012-09-13 20.07.23.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you go back to the original build.prop?
Edit: wallet still works

bpyoung83

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there a reason you edited the build.prop files to what you did?

Sorry, completely new to this and wanting to root my phone.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason you edited the build.prop files to what you did?

Sorry, completely new to this and wanting to root my phone.

Makes your phone believe it's GSM instead of Verizon. So it fools the play store too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Makes your phone believe it's GSM instead of Verizon. So it fools the play store too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It fools everything you load too so be careful with that, I was updating my recovery (TWRP) and it was about to load the GSM version of it, I really don't know what might have come about that if I didn't catch it. (should i try it)? :p Anyway, I side loaded the CDMA recovery instead, just a FYI.

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It fools everything you load too so be careful with that, I was updating my recovery (TWRP) and it was about to load the GSM version of it, I really don't know what might have come about that if I didn't catch it. (should i try it)? :p Anyway, I side loaded the CDMA recovery instead, just a FYI.

Great info! :thumbup:

ClockworkMod Recovery prompts you to confirm if you have gsm, sprint, or Verizon.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
This isn't working fo rme. It will allow me to find and install it form the market, but it still gives me the message saying it isn't yet available for my device... :/

EDT: scratch that.. it worked after clearing data on Wallet...which is odd being I didn't have it installed before (just flashed a stock factory JB image)

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
While this IS cool, it may lead some to believe sideloading the app is somehow more difficult than clicking a download link, opening your download folder, and installing it:p If you're a fan of auto install, great. I've had enough auto installed app "updates" that completely ruined the app so I tend to read a review or two and make a decision. My 2 cents.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
While this IS cool, it may lead some to believe sideloading the app is somehow more difficult than clicking a download link, opening your download folder, and installing it:p If you're a fan of auto install, great. I've had enough auto installed app "updates" that completely ruined the app so I tend to read a review or two and make a decision. My 2 cents.

Sideloading didn't work for me.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Care to elaborate? What did you do and from which link? I've done it so many times without issue:confused:

Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Same, I have done it on my own phone wiht no issue...but I just tried it on my Fiance's new Gnex and I get the message about the carrier not supporting it. I have tried 1.5-R79-v5.apk along with several others with no luck.

That's odd, man. I just flashed CNA 3.6.6 and then newest gWallet without a hitch.
snap yo.jpg

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Did you have "unknown sources" checked in the security settings?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463