Will I get OTA's if I root?

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay so It's been awhile since I was Team Android my last phone was the original Dinc which I had rooted and whatnot I Was very comfortable rooting the dinc because I knew there were gonna be no more updates coming from vzw for it. My problem is I have the gnex now and I really would enjoy JB, if I root and install a custom ROM will I still get OTA notifications and stuff? What would happen if I install an ota by accident when I'm rooted and have a custom rom flashed

(Sorry If I posted this in the wrong spot)

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Someone asked me this yesterday. I don't have a concrete answer - but I did an OTA with a rooted Bionic with no side effects at all. I did make sure though that it was back to the stock rom that they wanted to do the OTA from. So make sure you do a backup before.

I really don't see why Root access would be a problem for an OTA, so long as the OTA is writing over the correct build.

Don't build a church on this though, this is from a guy who did an OTA on a Bionic. Once.

Cheers.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay so It's been awhile since I was Team Android my last phone was the original Dinc which I had rooted and whatnot I Was very comfortable rooting the dinc because I knew there were gonna be no more updates coming from vzw for it. My problem is I have the gnex now and I really would enjoy JB, if I root and install a custom ROM will I still get OTA notifications and stuff? What would happen if I install an ota by accident when I'm rooted and have a custom rom flashed

(Sorry If I posted this in the wrong spot)

If you are running a custom recovery the ota will fail... and a custom rom may not get the ota pushed because it's only supposed to push to phones on the stock build... either way an ota would pronably not be good for a custom tom

If you're just stock rooted with a stock recovery then you should just be able to take the ota but you will lose root and need to redo it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you are running a custom recovery the ota will fail... and a custom rom may not get the ota pushed because it's only supposed to push to phones on the stock build... either way an ota would pronably not be good for a custom tom

If you're just stock rooted with a stock recovery then you should just be able to take the ota but you will lose root and need to redo it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This. You need to have the stock images. It will unroot you. It won't relock you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma