Stock ROM without the crap?

Crazy_Jim

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
So, I was running Vicious for a while, and it seemed incredibly stable. I switched over the Euroskank and loved it for the features it offered, but I just can't seem to get the bugs worked out. I drop signal COMPLETELY at least once a day (never did on Vicious) and have to reboot the phone, which takes a solid 5 minutes. I also get System UI and stock browser FC's regularly. It's just not smooth enough for me, and none of the small tweaks are special enough to me to keep it.

So, I'm looking for a stock, reliable ROM without any of the BS verizon apps, I honestly can't remember if Vicious did or not? Does Bugless Beast? Is it really bugless? I liked how smooth the install of Vicious went, with Gapps and all, but wouldn't be opposed to trying out BB if it's right for me.

Also, not sure if this is just me or not, but my external speaker seems louder with Euroskank JellyBro?

Enough of my rants, anybody have advice?

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never run Bugless, but I have never had any issues on Euroskank or AOKP as far as stability goes (no FCs that I can recall).

I hate to ask the obvious, but you did a full wipe before moving from Vicious to skank, right?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I really liked shank but went to CNA and never looked back. Seems to be as stable as they come and has all the bells and whistles under the covers if you care to use them.

Chondog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Bugless is as stable and as stock as they come. BB comes with Gapps as well.

If you don't like some of the BS crap apps, get yourself a root uninstaller and remove them.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I went the same route as the OP. I eventually settled on CodeName Android (CNA) and have found it to be the most stable ROM so far. I experience almost no bugs and the feature set is very nice. Even the nightlies are very stable. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Bugless is as stable and as stock as they come. BB comes with Gapps as well.

If you don't like some of the BS crap apps, get yourself a root uninstaller and remove them.

+2, I always recommend Bugless to anyone looking for a solid ROM without all the extras.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^Although I agree with your comment, I have to say I tried BB just to check it out and it was certainly as stable and stock-ish as everyone claims. Admitedly, ever since I figured out a routine to clean flash and fully restore everything in a few painless minutes I like to try a new rom every few days, but after a "forced" day I was so bored with BB. I've found plenty of customizable roms to be just as stable AND you can, well, customize them. You don't have to change anything and it's just an extra field(s) to select within your stock settings app. So what I'm saying is I don't really get wanting to root and be on a "stock" rom. If stability was an issue, than I most certainly would get it. Tethering worked fine and free bone stock, so...:confused: Just saying....to each their own.:) I, too, add a vote of confidence to CNA. That's always my one stored nanny backup as I bounce around. Very slick rom especially when you cherry pick a few mods to flash (like AOKP weather icons).

Crazy_Jim

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've never run Bugless, but I have never had any issues on Euroskank or AOKP as far as stability goes (no FCs that I can recall).

I hate to ask the obvious, but you did a full wipe before moving from Vicious to skank, right?

I definitely did a full wipe, but kudos for asking, I realize that's probably the biggest reason for FC's and bugs.

^^^Although I agree with your comment, I have to say I tried BB just to check it out and it was certainly as stable and stock-ish as everyone claims. Admitedly, ever since I figured out a routine to clean flash and fully restore everything in a few painless minutes I like to try a new rom every few days, but after a "forced" day I was so bored with BB. I've found plenty of customizable roms to be just as stable AND you can, well, customize them. You don't have to change anything and it's just an extra field(s) to select within your stock settings app. So what I'm saying is I don't really get wanting to root and be on a "stock" rom. If stability was an issue, than I most certainly would get it. Tethering worked fine and free bone stock, so...:confused: Just saying....to each their own.:) I, too, add a vote of confidence to CNA. That's always my one stored nanny backup as I bounce around. Very slick rom especially when you cherry pick a few mods to flash (like AOKP weather icons).

I run a few select root only programs like root call blocker, ad blocker, and a few others that I don't want to lose. I'm not opposed to the extra settings, I love them, I just have a tough time finding a stable rom that has them. Looks like I may give CNA a shot, and have been doing a bit of reading on AOKP? Anybody have experience with AOKP?

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I recommend AffinitySeries. It is very close to stock with a few nice extras. I have been running it for almost a month without a single issue. I switched to AOKP for a day and CM10 for an hour and restored back to Affinity. It's a solid build and the devs are active and attentive in the threads.

Allons-y

weasle543

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I was running Vicious for a while, and it seemed incredibly stable. I switched over the Euroskank and loved it for the features it offered, but I just can't seem to get the bugs worked out. I drop signal COMPLETELY at least once a day (never did on Vicious) and have to reboot the phone, which takes a solid 5 minutes. I also get System UI and stock browser FC's regularly. It's just not smooth enough for me, and none of the small tweaks are special enough to me to keep it.

So, I'm looking for a stock, reliable ROM without any of the BS verizon apps, I honestly can't remember if Vicious did or not? Does Bugless Beast? Is it really bugless? I liked how smooth the install of Vicious went, with Gapps and all, but wouldn't be opposed to trying out BB if it's right for me.

Also, not sure if this is just me or not, but my external speaker seems louder with Euroskank JellyBro?

Enough of my rants, anybody have advice?

1 Bugless Beast (gapps baked in)
2 AffinitySeries
3 Clean AOSP 4.1.1

I posted the following in the AOKP thread in response to another poster asking about Google Play movies on AOKP.

As always, YMMV

Yep. I've tried multiple gapps packages and have not been able to get Google Play Movies to work on AOKP. If someone knows a gapps package that Google play movies works with AOKP I'd come back to AOKP.

ROMs that I've tried that movies would work are: BB, Clean AOSP 4.1.1, and Affinity Series. I've also tried the 7/26 gapps but prefer Formula 84's JRO03O based gapps due to the calendar colors.

I love the customization available in AOKP but want Google play movies to work too.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

By and large I agree with you. Almost any of the established ROMs, installed right, will be stable and run well.

Speaking personally though, and I know others share this feeling, part of the appeal of the more stock ROMs is that they are very close to Android as Google envisioned Android. It's a bit of a purist perspective but I like the direction Google is taking Android's UI/UX and I have almost no interest in anything beyond how they designed it.

I appreciate that you CAN customize CNA, CM10, AKOP more so than say a ROM like Bugless via a plethora of settings. But I don't want to do that. To me,
those settings, at least partially, are a form of bloat because I won't use them. The few things I do care about Bugless has, or I just add in myself via a tweak or an app.

But the great part about Android is that there are great options for both of us.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Crazy_Jim

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I just couldn't convince myself to give up some of the features I knew I was going to miss. I jumped on over to AOKP Build4 and so far so good. Battery life is already LEAPS ahead of the Euroskank build I was on, and seems stable. Only time will tell I suppose.

Crazy_Jim

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit I haven't messed around with Kernels at all, I suppose I need to do some more reading. What kernels do people seem to be having luck with on this ROM?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit I haven't messed around with Kernels at all, I suppose I need to do some more reading. What kernels do people seem to be having luck with on this ROM?

I stick with the stock Kernel myself when using Bugless. I think pete tweaks the stock kernel to work better with his ROM, plus stock battery life on BB has always been steller for me out of the box. The BB install with the GAPPS really is an all in one package. As far as other Kernels, I personally bounce back and forth between Franco Nightlies/Milestones and Trinity. I've used them all at one time or another but i always keep going back to these 2. Trinity does not update Stable kernels that often. They have been on stable35 forever. But franco nightlies come out all the time, Once i find a nightly that works well with my phone I stick with it for awhile. Currently nightly 277 is a gem. Highly recommended.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I just couldn't convince myself to give up some of the features I knew I was going to miss. I jumped on over to AOKP Build4 and so far so good. Battery life is already LEAPS ahead of the Euroskank build I was on, and seems stable. Only time will tell I suppose.

NIce. Last time I was on AOKP it was build 2 or 3. It was very sweet but I missed having my 8 lockscreen targets. I will ride the unicorn again, no doubt. Hopefully they'll include the targets soon. Can you confirm you still only have the camera, gNow, and unlock on B4 please (or anyone)? Only thing I miss on CNA is the notification dropdown weather icons which are slick but no biggie. I did flash the AOKP weather icons for the lockscreen. Purdy:-$

Oh and I tend to use Franco and Trinity the most because I have their apps. Used Popcorn too. Generally, all work well with a very few nightlies as exceptions. Most faux kernels seemed snappy enough but I never really left them long enough to test their battery life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz