Jelly Bean 4.2 Camera

SpecR

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me:

Environment: Rooted GSM Galaxy Nexys running JB 4.1.2, stock rom + franco Kernel + CWM 6.0.1.0 touch.

1) Used Root File Explorer to change permissions on /system to RW
2) Used Root File Explorer to change extensions to GalleryGoogle apk and odex to bak (/system/app)
3) Used Root File Explorer to change extension to GmsCore odex to bak (/system/app)
4) Used Root File Explorer to copy file libmmcamera_hdr_lib.so to /system/lib and change file permission to 644
5) Used Root File Explorer to revert /system to RO
6) Reboot in CWM recovery
7) Flashed 4.2Camera_t04.zip
8) Wiped cache and dalvik cache
9) Reboot

The only not working for me is Tiny Planet, when I click that button on a 360 photo I took, it FC my gallery, any workaround out there?

I hope this helps people not running any rom but stock-

p.s: No need to set Location OFF

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
For developers: the problem with languages goes like this, if GPS tagging is selected and English isn't the system language, it hangs when rendering. It's weird, because photospheres aren't GPS tagged at all...

Place the system/framework directory of the Nexus4 dump in the same folder of smali and baksmali. Then do:
Code:
java -jar baksmali.jar -a 17 -x GalleryGoogle.odex -d framework -o deodex
java -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex deodex
Then use WinRAR or similar to put the classes.dex inside GalleryGoogle.apk. Zipalign and sign the apk. Done!

Yup you can do that or java - jar baksmali.jar -x GalleryGoogle.odex, then the java -jar smali.jar -x out (or whatever it is, typing from memory here). Rename the out.dex to classes.dex and drop it into the apk. I use Ubuntu so it takes like 2 minutes tops lol.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Does it need to be in the folder that has smali if smali is in my path?

-------------------------------------
Bacon in my coffee please? you don't have any bacon??!! Unacceptable!!!

In that case, in the current folder you are with the command prompt, I think.

The easiest way to do it:

1. Create a Working Folder
  2. Drop the .jar files into it
  3. Drop the system/app files and the system/framework files into it
  4. cd to the Working Folder and go from there

If you have everything in one place it takes seconds to find the files and you only need to cd once--to the Working Folder.

Also, my apologies for being quiet today--#lawfirmlifesucks

bloo

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Working great for me, Camera, photosphere, editor and viewer. Only thing that causes FC is using flash with this camera. I'm on a international S3, stock JB, rooted, SpeedMod Kernel.

tvBilly#AC

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
This worked for me:

...snip...
4) Used Root File Explorer to copy file libmmcamera_hdr_lib.so to /system/lib and change file permission to 644
...snip...

I must have missed this part. Where did you find "libmmcamera_hdr_lib.so" and does this enable HDR in the (4.2) camera?

st3rv

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, does this update finally allow for full screen viewing of photos (just like the youtube app) or are the on screen buttons / 3 dots menu bar still always present while looking at photos? :-X

something obscure

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting this to work for some reason. When I try to install with the most recent zip everything appears to go fine and both cwm and twrp say it installed successfully. When I boot up I get the android is upgrading screen as well. However, the app doesn't show up in my drawer, trying to launch from my home screen icon gets me a bubble that says app not installed.

Recovering the original app with titanium works, but it disappears after rebooting. I ran into all the same problems trying to install the leaked clock app today as well.

The keyboard installed fine just the day before.

I'm using a play store galaxy nexus, stock 4.1.2, unlocked and rooted.

Any ideas what's happening?

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting this to work for some reason. When I try to install with the most recent zip everything appears to go fine and both cwm and twrp say it installed successfully. When I boot up I get the android is upgrading screen as well. However, the app doesn't show up in my drawer, trying to launch from my home screen icon gets me a bubble that says app not installed.

Recovering the original app with titanium works, but it disappears after rebooting. I ran into all the same problems trying to install the leaked clock app today as well.

The keyboard installed fine just the day before.

I'm using a play store galaxy nexus, stock 4.1.2, unlocked and rooted.

Any ideas what's happening?

I have the same phone which tonight I installed everything on and it worked like a charm. I first used root explorer and renamed the gallery.apk to .bak. Then went into recovery and installed the zip that has all the libs and the two apks. Cleared cache and dalvik just to be safe. Rebooted and it just worked. I was tired of trying to get it to work on my S3!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

kvont

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I followed your instructions and its still not working for me. Every time I try to open the gallery or the camera I guess "Unfortunately, Gallery has stopped"

Verizon Galaxy Nexus Stock Rooted 4.1.1

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
For developers: the problem with languages goes like this, if GPS tagging is selected and English isn't the system language, it hangs when rendering. It's weird, because photospheres aren't GPS tagged at all...

Place the system/framework directory of the Nexus4 dump in the same folder of smali and baksmali. Then do:
Code:
java -jar baksmali.jar -a 17 -x GalleryGoogle.odex -d framework -o deodex
java -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex deodex
Then use WinRAR or similar to put the classes.dex inside GalleryGoogle.apk. Zipalign and sign the apk. Done!

So I did this to the MMS.apk, and everything went smooth, but when I pushed it to /system/app and changed permission, after reboot I had no messaging. That being said, I just have one more quick question. OK two. First, how do I figure out why? I don't think a logcat would work to well in this case would it?
And, is there anything else that I might have missed. Anything more to get it to run? Maybe decompile the apk before I put the classes.dex into it? I'm not gna highjack ur thread. I really appreciate the work dmmark! So awesome, so fast. Thanks guys!! :thumbup::D

-------------------------------------
Bacon in my coffee please? you don't have any bacon??!! Unacceptable!!!

Last edited:

something obscure

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the same phone which tonight I installed everything on and it worked like a charm. I first used root explorer and renamed the gallery.apk to .bak. Then went into recovery and installed the zip that has all the libs and the two apks. Cleared cache and dalvik just to be safe. Rebooted and it just worked. I was tired of trying to get it to work on my S3!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Just tried this and still no dice. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Aurora Wright

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me:

Environment: Rooted GSM Galaxy Nexys running JB 4.1.2, stock rom + franco Kernel + CWM 6.0.1.0 touch.

1) Used Root File Explorer to change permissions on /system to RW
2) Used Root File Explorer to change extensions to GalleryGoogle apk and odex to bak (/system/app)
3) Used Root File Explorer to change extension to GmsCore odex to bak (/system/app)
5) Used Root File Explorer to revert /system to RO
6) Reboot in CWM recovery
7) Flashed 4.2Camera_t04.zip
8) Wiped cache and dalvik cache
9) Reboot

The only not working for me is Tiny Planet, when I click that button on a 360 photo I took, it FC my gallery, any workaround out there?

I hope this helps people not running any rom but stock-

p.s: No need to set Location OFF
That file doesn't enable HDR, I just tried. It doesn't make any difference...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool