Jelly Bean 4.2 Camera

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Joe. for my S3 int. version running 4.1.2 all I did was:
-Download the t04.zip
-Although all say its better to clear cache and dalvik in recovery mode, I have no idea why I didn't.
-Flashed the t04.zip in recovery without even renaming the old camera or gallery.
-at first everything was lagging (the whole phone). and the new camera used to crash when i used flash in photo's and tiny planet.
-I updated all google related apps.
-At this point I thought of renaming the old gallery and old camera (On my S3 the old gallery name is secgallery.apk)
-everything ran smooth without any crashes since.
-I renamed the old gallery and camera back to their original names. and have both camera's and galleries now working correctly.
I think I was a bit lucky on making it work...

That's what I originally did and that doesn't work :( I get the problems I posted (post #855)

Ray S3

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you try the lib files a couple of pages back? download them, using root explorer move them to their respective locations and change their permissions as mentioned in the post. hope that helps.

ArifIV

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
:( Please Help , newbie here. I flashed the zip file. Everything went well. But when i did the photosphere thing, the blue dot seemed to move slightly downwards, causing the pic produced look like rubbish. Any ideas?

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you try the lib files a couple of pages back? download them, using root explorer move them to their respective locations and change their permissions as mentioned in the post. hope that helps.

Just searched back to page 27 and couldn't find any "LIB files". What am I supposed to do with them?

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Joe, try Post #3 first page..

So I flashed the zip, and then DLed the 3 files in post #3 and moved them to their designated placed. Still force closes and doesn't work. Was I supposed to flash those files or just DL them and move them? Thanks. I really want this to work lol.

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just playing around with installing leankernel and the camera stopped working. Restoring a Nandroid did not bring it back either... weird. my gallery and camera are no longer recognized as installed. The icons for camera and gallery were still on my homescreen, but absent from the app drawer. I'm stock rooted 4.1.1 otherwise. I also has a program called picsart installed, which seemed to take over the lockscreen camera slide-to-unlock spot, so maybe there was some conflict there - however deleting that app and wiping cache/dalvik didn't fix it.

Will try to go back to stock camera/gallery and report how it goes.

Edit: deleted GalleryGoogle.apk, GmsCore.apk (and their odex files --- I odexed the 4.2 camera), and deleted the extra lib files, and the camera and gallery appeared in my drawer unlabel at the top. They opened and seemed to work, so I rebooted and wiped cache and dalvik, then they were gone again... weird... luckily titanium was able to restore them. I am going to try and get the 4.2 cameras back up and running.

Edit: redid the process for installing the 4.2 camera, and changing the permissions on the apk's and lib files... wiped cache/dalvik and no go. the icons are on my homescreen, but the apps dont appear in the drawer. Fear I may have to do a factory reset or flash factory image... really weird... Anyone have a clue why it wont take now? Why wouldn't a nandroid be able to restore it?!?!?! Why couldn't my stock camera be restored from a nandroid?!!?!? this is most puzzling!

Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I was just playing around with installing leankernel and the camera stopped working. Restoring a Nandroid did not bring it back either... weird. my gallery and camera are no longer recognized as installed. The icons for camera and gallery were still on my homescreen, but absent from the app drawer. I'm stock rooted 4.1.1 otherwise. I also has a program called picsart installed, which seemed to take over the lockscreen camera slide-to-unlock spot, so maybe there was some conflict there - however deleting that app and wiping cache/dalvik didn't fix it.

Will try to go back to stock camera/gallery and report how it goes.

Edit: deleted GalleryGoogle.apk, GmsCore.apk (and their odex files --- I odexed the 4.2 camera), and deleted the extra lib files, and the camera and gallery appeared in my drawer unlabel at the top. They opened and seemed to work, so I rebooted and wiped cache and dalvik, then they were gone again... weird... luckily titanium was able to restore them. I am going to try and get the 4.2 cameras back up and running.

If you get it stable and working pleaseeeee give me step-by-step on what you did lol.

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
If you get it stable and working pleaseeeee give me step-by-step on what you did lol.

I had it stable and working, by following the instructions above: put apps in system/app, and libs in system/lib, wipe cache and dalvik, reboot. photosphere and all was good for about a week. Going to try and flash the 4.2 camera zip now

Edit: no luck with flashing the zip... it flashed, but still same problem... :mad: :confused:

Edit: ok... I did a factory data reset through stock settings menu, let it do its thing, signed back in to google after the phone booted up, and the 4.2 camera was there and working. All my apps are restoring... something was just funky in the user/system data I guess... will update if it breaks again or if it continues to work... gonna make a nandroid now!:D

Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had it stable and working, by following the instructions above: put apps in system/app, and libs in system/lib, wipe cache and dalvik, reboot. photosphere and all was good for about a week. Going to try and flash the 4.2 camera zip now

Edit: no luck with flashing the zip... it flashed, but still same problem... :mad: :confused:

I did the same, but it would freeze up after I took a picture UNLESS I pressed the focus button... and it woudn't work until I rebooted.

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I did the same, but it would freeze up after I took a picture UNLESS I pressed the focus button... and it woudn't work until I rebooted.

It's not the funnest thing to do, but try what I did... backing up all your important stuff from sdcard and apps with titanium, etc... and doing a factory reset through stock settings menu after flashing the 4.2 camera zip. It fixed my problem. A stock factory reset seems to keep root and all your system apps... at least it did for me, and this is my second reset in the past couple of weeks.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not the funnest thing to do, but try what I did... backing up all your important stuff from sdcard and apps with titanium, etc... and doing a factory reset through stock settings menu after flashing the 4.2 camera zip. It fixed my problem. A stock factory reset seems to keep root and all your system apps... at least it did for me, and this is my second reset in the past couple of weeks.

Wouldn't a factory reset delete the camera though cause it would go back to factory settings which is the default camera lol...

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't a factory reset delete the camera though cause it would go back to factory settings which is the default camera lol...

Factory reset from the stock android OS settings menu does not seem to delete system apps. At least it doesn't for me. I've done at least 2 factory resets from there and both times it kept all my system apps, nova launcher, root/superuser, and now the 4.2 camera. Although, maybe some expert advice would be inline here.

Also, I just re-odexed the 4.2 camera apk's and found that the GalleryGoogle.apk was not zipaligned. That might be a source of problems. Or maybe it was an error on my part... but I zipaligned it, and I have the zipaligned, odexed version up and running. I have attached the zipaligned deodexed verison of GalleryGoogle.apk here. Maybe using that will fix some of the problems people are experiencing. I don't know if other people can use my odexed version though... I don't know if that is phone-specific.

attached: zipaligned GalleryGoogle.apk
md5sum: AF86E6403CCCF3E97F882AD4122F751E

Edit: Well, I checked the 4.2Camera_t04.zip file and GalleryGoogle.apk was zipaligned in there, but some other files weren't, including libjni_mosaic.so, so I have included the entire zipalined zip here too... hope that helps someone. *** Flash at your own risk, as I am a noob compared to the people who originally made this zip. Backup, backup, backup, and know how to restore backups!!!

attached: 4.2Camera_t04-zipaligned.zip
md5sum: 76AC5CDBAC51D99EE379FAA392BF3F73

Attachments

• GalleryGoogle.apk
    6.9 MB · Views: 64
  • 4.2Camera_t04-zipaligned.zip
    9 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset from the stock android OS settings menu does not seem to delete system apps. At least it doesn't for me. I've done at least 2 factory resets from there and both times it kept all my system apps, nova launcher, root/superuser, and now the 4.2 camera. Although, maybe some expert advice would be inline here.

Also, I just re-odexed the 4.2 camera apk's and found that the GalleryGoogle.apk was not zipaligned. That might be a source of problems. Or maybe it was an error on my part... but I zipaligned it, and I have the zipaligned, odexed version up and running. I have attached the zipaligned deodexed verison of GalleryGoogle.apk here. Maybe using that will fix some of the problems people are experiencing. I don't know if other people can use my odexed version though... I don't know if that is phone-specific.

attached: zipaligned GalleryGoogle.apk
md5sum: AF86E6403CCCF3E97F882AD4122F751E

Edit: Well, I checked the 4.2Camera_t04.zip file and GalleryGoogle.apk was zipaligned in there, but some other files weren't, including libjni_mosaic.so, so I have included the entire zipalined zip here too... hope that helps someone. *** Flash at your own risk, as I am a noob compared to the people who originally made this zip. Backup, backup, backup, and know how to restore backups!!!

attached: 4.2Camera_t04-zipaligned.zip
md5sum: 76AC5CDBAC51D99EE379FAA392BF3F73

Ok so I downloaded both files.... now what should I do? Flash the zip and move GalleryGoogle.apk to system/app and set permissions and then I am done? Or am I missing something? Thnanks!

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I downloaded both files.... now what should I do? Flash the zip and move GalleryGoogle.apk to system/app and set permissions and then I am done? Or am I missing something? Thnanks!

If you flash the zip, then you don't need to do anything, as that will move the apks and libs to the proper place and set their permissions. ALso, it will overwrite your stock camera, so be sure to backup it up and/or do a nandroid. I definitely recommend backing up with a nandroid before flashing the zip or doing anything with system files!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
If you flash the zip, then you don't need to do anything, as that will move the apks and libs to the proper place and set their permissions. ALso, it will overwrite your stock camera, so be sure to backup it up and/or do a nandroid. I definitely recommend backing up with a nandroid before flashing the zip or doing anything with system files!

OK, so I flash the zip then what do I do with the APK?

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I flash the zip then what do I do with the APK?

If you flash the zip, then there is no need to do anything with any apk's, as they are all in the zip. The reason I included the apk, is for some reason I found that it wasn't zipaligned. I'm not really an expert at this, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If I were you, I would go back and re-read the OP.

Sujay Shinoda

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Each and everything is working except when I take a typical picture it FC. Thnx again, please lemme know if there is a fix without removing the stock camera app.

dhworph

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Each and everything is working except when I take a typical picture it FC. Thnx again, please lemme know if there is a fix without removing the stock camera app.

I think you have to remove the stock camera app. FC's... you could try wiping dalvik, cache, or doing a factory reset. Once you have flashed this camera to your system folder, it will still be there after a factory reset. Could try clearing all cache and data associated with the camera first...

Chris Will

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, im on xperia ray running cm 10

After flashing the latest zip file now I have 2 cameras and 2 galleries

However, the 4.2 camera didn't working so well
Means that, I can open the camera and I can access all the setting, etc. but the worst is I CAN'T SEE A THING on the camera

Can anyone help me how I can fix this ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae