When are you planning on flashing 4.2?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^Been running 4.2.1 since Friday. 4.2 is old news :p
Hard to say for sure, at the very least there's a placebo effect. Not nearly as noticable from ICS to JB, but 4.2.X roms have been extremely stable and buttery for me. Been running euroskank's aokp nightly builds. Few new goodies in each build About to dirty 12/04s build in a min.
On aosp builds I really wasn't a fan of either the new lockscreen or the new notification and toggle panes. The two finger toggle pane was really just a shortcut to the settings menu. Kind of pointless. The locksreen, you can put a few widgets (gmail, calendar, clock, sms/mms) on screens by swiping left. Swipe right to camera. Ok, I guess, but I missed my lockscreen targets badly. 4.2.x now supports group messaging which is huge for a lot of folks. You tap the build in about phone 7 times to "unlock" dev options. I think it was a cool way to hide it and I understand why they did. Gmail now swipe to archive/delete and pinch zoom. New "magnification gestures." Enable in settings...3 touch zoom, 2 finger pan. There's a softkey under the lock on the lockscreen to swipe up to gNow. Cool enough. About it off the top of my head. Oh, and I actually love the daydream. Didn't even bother with it at first, as I saw a gimmick, but now it's basically a digital photo frame on my desk at work or wherever when charging (that an option). Pulls pictures from my gallery. Has received a good bit of interest from the coworkers.
Now that the devs have been adding their magic to 4.2.1 it's awesome. Regarding that gNow softkey, which is also the nav ring, I now don't miss my lockscreen options. Have 5 nav targets and long press targets. So now I have the same 10 nav bar / lockscreen targets anywhere and everywhere. Awesome. Now the 2 finger toggle pane works like toggles. Short press on/off, long press shortcut to settings.
I've had very good battery life, but battery life really boils down to your kernel (settings), and your signal strenth (and if gps, wifi, nfc are on or searching etc).
Highly recommend skank's aokp builds, I didn't have any data on his cm10.1 11/30 builds but I'm sure that a non issue by now if you'd rather cm than aokp. Plenty of signed gapps available and easy to find but I've been using an "old" one with wallet included. Link below. I'll throw in some screenshots to have a look too.
Goo.im Downloads - Browsing toro

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The smaller circle of dots is the nav ring
uploadfromtaptalk1354641095841.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354641196160.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354641221928.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354641242608.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• toggles.jpg
    toggles.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 35

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
^^^Been running 4.2.1 since Friday. 4.2 is old news :p
Hard to say for sure, at the very least there's a placebo effect. Not nearly as noticable from ICS to JB, but 4.2.X roms have been extremely stable and buttery for me. Been running euroskank's aokp nightly builds. Few new goodies in each build About to dirty 12/04s build in a min.
On aosp builds I really wasn't a fan of either the new lockscreen or the new notification and toggle panes. The two finger toggle pane was really just a shortcut to the settings menu. Kind of pointless. The locksreen, you can put a few widgets (gmail, calendar, clock, sms/mms) on screens by swiping left. Swipe right to camera. Ok, I guess, but I missed my lockscreen targets badly. 4.2.x now supports group messaging which is huge for a lot of folks. You tap the build in about phone 7 times to "unlock" dev options. I think it was a cool way to hide it and I understand why they did. Gmail now swipe to archive/delete and pinch zoom. New "magnification gestures." Enable in settings...3 touch zoom, 2 finger pan. There's a softkey under the lock on the lockscreen to swipe up to gNow. Cool enough. About it off the top of my head. Oh, and I actually love the daydream. Didn't even bother with it at first, as I saw a gimmick, but now it's basically a digital photo frame on my desk at work or wherever when charging (that an option). Pulls pictures from my gallery. Has received a good bit of interest from the coworkers.
Now that the devs have been adding their magic to 4.2.1 it's awesome. Regarding that gNow softkey, which is also the nav ring, I now don't miss my lockscreen options. Have 5 nav targets and long press targets. So now I have the same 10 nav bar / lockscreen targets anywhere and everywhere. Awesome. Now the 2 finger toggle pane works like toggles. Short press on/off, long press shortcut to settings.
I've had very good battery life, but battery life really boils down to your kernel (settings), and your signal strenth (and if gps, wifi, nfc are on or searching etc).
Highly recommend skank's aokp builds, I didn't have any data on his cm10.1 11/30 builds but I'm sure that a non issue if you'd rather cm than aokp. Plenty of signed gapps available and easy to find but I've been using an "old" one with wallet included. Link below. I'll throw in some screenshots to have a look too.

Thanks for your insight. Your 2 posts has given me a better perspective than anything else I've read on these ROM'S yet.

I noticed that your nav keys are modded. Is this an add on or does this support the theme engine?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. Not really that excited about any of the new features. Still running Euro's JellyBro 1013 4.1.2 build, but I might jump when BB comes out or try out an AOKP 4.1.2 soon.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Fitsnugly does kanging at its finest. Lotsa kangs out there but fits does it best.
When my n4 gets here, skank aokp will on the phone in the first 15 mins. :)

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been running XenonHD 4.2.1 ROM since 11/30 with zero issues. Love it. Supports Theme Engine and plenty of ROM control customizations.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your insight. Your 2 posts has given me a better perspective than anything else I've read on these ROM'S yet.

I noticed that your nav keys are modded. Is this an add on or does this support the theme engine?

The nexus X lockscreen ring, nav keys, and nav glow are zipthemer mods, but this rom does support the theme engine as well.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
same here. Mmuzzy's build works great on my Verizon Gnex and will continue to be my daily driver

Yeah I'm lovin his sprint gnex build except the volume isn't louder than stock 4.1 other than that no issues

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL contejas is a total skank aokp pimp. :cool:
Fitsnugly does kanging at its finest. Lotsa kangs out there but fits does it best.
When my n4 gets here, skank aokp will on the phone in the first 15 mins. :)

Calling me out, Davey?! WTF. Haha jk. Fitsnugly (skank) is definitely a top notch dev. I will note that I do flash lots of roms by "random" devs, which is why I can't see myself on a non-Nexus device, but so far the unicorn flavors have been most to my liking on 4.2.x. I may give Xenon HD a go next based on lpt's post above. Mellimel22 the screenshots are from fitsnugly's (euroskank's) 12/02 aokp build (I inserted the goo link in that post). Flashed his 12/4 aokp build earlier, set it up, but haven't really delved in to see what's new. Buttery smooth for the time I've used it. Highly recommend skank's work. Not sure if he builds for toroplus, though

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Calling me out, Davey?! WTF. Haha jk. Fitsnugly (skank) is definitely a top notch dev. I will note that I do flash lots of roms by "random" devs, which is why I can't see myself on a non-Nexus device, but so far the unicorn flavors have been most to my liking on 4.2.x. I may give Xenon HD a go next based on lpt's post above. Mellimel22 the screenshots are from fitsnugly's (euroskank's) 12/02 aokp build (I inserted the goo link in that post). Flashed his 12/4 aokp build earlier, set it up, but haven't really delved in to see what's new. Buttery smooth for the time I've used it. Highly recommend skank's work. Not sure if he builds for toroplus, though

Naw man sorry that last post of mine came out a little wierd. No offense meant. :)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I just got a Gnex three days ago coming from a s2 and ns4g I like Samsung phones but I love nexus phones pure android can't be beat IMO. I just flashed muzzyz toroplus 4.2.1 but missing some aokp/cm features here's my latest setup

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354675143273.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354675143273.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354675152576.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354675152576.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354675163811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354675163811.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 30

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh and idk bout putting my name up. I had a record u can find me online anyway lol

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for an official AOKP release. Still sitting on the old 4.1 AOKP Milestone build. Haven't flashed anything new in a while, and I'm REALLY itching to do it, but I'd rather wait until there's a more "official" build going on.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Finally made the leap last night after backing up all of my apps and current ROM.
I used fitsnugly's AOKP 4.2.1 12/4 build.
Everything seems to be working fine for the most part.
I do get a FC when I try to access the storage in the settings menu though. Is anyone else getting this?
Also, because I am not using Franco's kernel and do not have the Trinity toolbox, I cannot get the color settings to look the way I want.
I am flashing Tiny kernel now.
Does anyone know of a kernel that has these settings? More importantly, the gamma settings. Thanks.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for an official AOKP release. Still sitting on the old 4.1 AOKP Milestone build. Haven't flashed anything new in a while, and I'm REALLY itching to do it, but I'd rather wait until there's a more "official" build going on.

These nightly builds compiled directly from aokp. You can't get more "official" on an unofficial build lol. Just do it:) They've been as stable as any milestone for the most part. That said, Nakrotap I confirm the storage FC. I had actually been doing "odd" stuff trying to find bugs, but I never go into storage. I have about 23 gigs free. Obviously I use the cloud and stream lol.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
These nightly builds compiled directly from aokp. You can't get more "official" on an unofficial build lol. Just do it:) They've been as stable as any milestone for the most part. That said, Nakrotap I confirm the storage FC. I had actually been doing "odd" stuff trying to find bugs, but I never go into storage. I have about 23 gigs free. Obviously I use the cloud and stream lol.

How do you know you have 23 GB free if you can't go into storage? My file manager apps don't seem to show available storage.
Did you plug it into your PC to get the available space?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks