A $5 OTG cable saved my butt

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I was away from home. I had been missing a bunch of storage on my phone since I did the 4.2 upgrade with an outdated version of TWRP. I was missing about 14 gig of storage on my phone that I couldn't account for. So, I took it upon myself to do a scratch install. A very clean scratch install. I went into TWRP, the latest one, and cleared everything including caches, system, the SD card. Totally clean. Everything gone.

Bad idea. I no longer had an operating system on my phone. When I tapped the system reboot button TWRP warns me there's no OS on this phone. I tap on the Install button in TWRP. There's nothing there to install. No zip files, nothing. I realized, at this point, what I had done. But I was nowhere near a PC that had the appropriate tools on it for my phone. A warm panic starts to creep over my body. I could be without my phone for quite a while. Not good for any nerd addicted to Android.

But I don't panic. I poke around some more within TWRP. Hey, what's this? There's an option to mount an external storage device. Wait a minute, I have a 32gig thumb drive attached to my keychain (what a nerd I am). I pull out the OTG cable from my tablet case and connect my thumb drive to it and plug the OTG cable into my Nexus. I mount the drive. Guess what's on the thumb drive? A week old version of Euroskank's AOSKP and Gapps. (I'm even a bigger nerd.) I had put these two zip files there for backup. For an instance like this that I'd never expected to have.

So, it turns out, there's an option to install from the external drive within TWRP. I do it. I reboot and viola! the phone is up and running. I do all this all while having a conversation with friends around me. I look around to tell the people around me what I just accomplished but say nothing. They wouldn't understand this achievement at all. They're not nerds. But I knew you guys would appreciate this.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This makes me feel better when using TWRP. When my friend and I were rooting and flashing a new ROM last night on my Gnex we forgot to do a backup at all, so all that I have now is CM10.1. Luckily I have a saved version of the stock ROM on a flashdrive. Thanks for the heads up and the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12