Nexus ______. October.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think it will be a pure Google device if it has the Droid branding. But I could be wrong. I also don't see Google allowing a Nexus to be renamed by a carrier, but again could be wrong. I still think the most likely possibility is that the Droid Prime and the next Nexus are 2 completely different phones and the rumors have been getting mixed up between the two because of that

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

i don't necessarily disagree with you. but, again, because the GS2 is launching on all other carriers, the most likely conclusion (if they are, in fact, 2 separate devices) is that both are coming to vzw; and that doesn't make much sense to me. another possibility is that one could be the VZW Droid Prime (with bloatware and locked BL) and the other could be the VZW Nexus Prime (vanilla Andy and unlocked BL), but that also doesn't make sense to me.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
yeah, but that doesn't make much sense either. the GS2 was just announced for every carrier other than vzw, and the Sammy Prime would seem to be very similar to the GS2 - why would Sammy release 2 very similar devices right at the same time?? maybe the "hook" is the fact that it's a Nexus, and the GS2 isn't, but that doesn't seem right, either. i'm just not sure how to square the info on these two....

There can be enough differences between the two devices; skinned vs. not-skinned, SAMOLED+ vs. SAMOLED HD, CPU bus speed, etc. I'm still one that thinks the GS2 would be a better seller than a Nexus (and that's actually been shown to be true). So, there are advantages to having both devices. Maybe it's only Verizon that opted not to carry both.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i don't necessarily disagree with you. but, again, because the GS2 is launching on all other carriers, the most likely conclusion (if they are, in fact, 2 separate devices) is that both are coming to vzw; and that doesn't make much sense to me. another possibility is that one could be the VZW Droid Prime (with bloatware and locked BL) and the other could be the VZW Nexus Prime (vanilla Andy and unlocked BL), but that also doesn't make sense to me.

If they are two separate devices, that doesn't mean that both would be coming to Verizon. The model numbers actually suggest that only the SCH-515 would be. I didn't find any other info on the GT-i9250 to indicate what radios, etc., it has to suggest what carrier it would be coming to.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I would assume a lot of international phones get certified in a lot of places, even if they dont plan on selling it there, just to be sure.

Not like these certifications tell anyone anything, anyway....

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
There can be enough differences between the two devices; skinned vs. not-skinned, SAMOLED+ vs. SAMOLED HD, CPU bus speed, etc. I'm still one that thinks the GS2 would be a better seller than a Nexus (and that's actually been shown to be true). So, there are advantages to having both devices. Maybe it's only Verizon that opted not to carry both.

If they are two separate devices, that doesn't mean that both would be coming to Verizon. The model numbers actually suggest that only the SCH-515 would be. I didn't find any other info on the GT-i9250 to indicate what radios, etc., it has to suggest what carrier it would be coming to.

that does make sense; altho, i would still question why the other carriers would release 2 very similar phones. in any event, i just hope that whatever hits VZW is vanilla Andy and unlocked bootloader!!! that would be awful hard to pass up...

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I would assume a lot of international phones get certified in a lot of places, even if they dont plan on selling it there, just to be sure.

Not like these certifications tell anyone anything, anyway....

the certs tell us the device exists, and is on its way - it's a start...

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
For those scoring at home... the amount we don't know about this phone vastly outweighs what we know about it.

I could be a Nexus device. It has been rumored to be a Nexus device. There hasn't been any news of another Nexus device.

It might not be a Nexus device. The first phone released with ICS doesn't necessarily have to be a Nexus phone (see: OG Droid). It seems unlikely that VZW would allow a phone without their bloat included. They left the iPhone alone though so who knows.

The first Nexus wasn't supposed to be a developer phone. It just turned out that way. Google wanted to sell phones independently instead of going through the carriers. That didn't work. They went in a different direction with the second version.

Since there's only been 2 Nexus phones it's difficult to follow much of a pattern.

Reactions: crzycrkr

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
For those scoring at home... the amount we don't know about this phone vastly outweighs what we know about it.

I could be a Nexus device. It has been rumored to be a Nexus device. There hasn't been any news of another Nexus device.

It might not be a Nexus device. The first phone released with ICS doesn't necessarily have to be a Nexus phone (see: OG Droid). It seems unlikely that VZW would allow a phone without their bloat included. They left the iPhone alone though so who knows.

The first Nexus wasn't supposed to be a developer phone. It just turned out that way. Google wanted to sell phones independently instead of going through the carriers. That didn't work. They went in a different direction with the second version.

Since there's only been 2 Nexus phones it's difficult to follow much of a pattern.

The iPhone is a totally different case. It's a phone that could bring millions of subscribers to their network and of course Verizon was willing to sign any deal Apple offered to make that happen

Also, it's quite possible we'll some similar to what happen with the OG Droid and Nexus One. I just hope the specs and experience will be similar To one another. Lately on the rumor mill is that the display is just WVGA -- certainly hope not.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
well, this could turn out to be a real kick in the crotch: False Alarm, No Google Nexus Prime Coming To Verizon After All?

i may end up with the Droid HD after all...

edit: after closer reading, GizmoCrunch cites AndroidSoul, who cites Droid-Life, who cites BGR. in other words, Gizmo isn't relying on any of its own sources, but is merely giving its own interpretation to a 3rd iteration/interpretation of the original BGR article..... nothing new here, and certainly no facts.

Last edited:

holysnikey

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That link is just reiterating the opinion or "leak" by BGR stating that there is actually a Nexus Prime that is a true vanilla Nexus device with no bloatware, unlocked bootloader and timely updates. Then there is a Droid Prime, which is a Verizon branded version of the Nexus Prime that is full of the VZW bloatware, might have a UI over ICS, possibly locked or partially locked bootloader and all updates may have to pass through VZW before the phone gets it. This is not really news its just a site trying to stir up the pot using rumors since so many people that go on these sites are anticipating this phone and no new news has come up yet. Although since there is both the SCH-i515 and the GTI9250 this seems possible or there may just be two new phones coming out. For all we know there could be a Verizon bloated Droid Prime designed to sell and then there is a pure unlocked CDMA/GSM Nexus that all carriers support! Its all rumors for now and I don't know about you guys but its getting really old how all these sites keep stating rumors like they are facts. /rant

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
well, this could turn out to be a real kick in the crotch: False Alarm, No Google Nexus Prime Coming To Verizon After All?

edit: after closer reading, GizmoCrunch cites AndroidSoul, who cites Droid-Life, who cites BGR. in other words, Gizmo isn't relying on any of its own sources, but is merely giving its own interpretation to a 3rd iteration/interpretation of the original BGR article..... nothing new here, and certainly no facts.
Thanks for the cardiac arrhythmia...:)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Lol, right back to what we've spoken of in the past. All these rumors keep coming back to BGR.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
How has that been shown to be true? What Nexus has the GS2 competed with?

The Nexus', in general, have not sold as well as other devices. The majority of the people (i.e., the general public) have shown to prefer the skinned phones over the Nexus line. When you look at the geeks, enthusiasts, etc., the story is different. That's a good reason why Verizon has gone away from the Nexus line.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus', in general, have not sold as well as other devices. The majority of the people (i.e., the general public) have shown to prefer the skinned phones over the Nexus line. When you look at the geeks, enthusiasts, etc., the story is different. That's a good reason why Verizon has gone away from the Nexus line.

I'm going to disagree here. The reason the Nexus hasn't sod well is because it isn't marketed period. I have never ever ever ever seen any type of Nexus commercial. Have you? The Nexus doesn't sell because nobody knows what the hell a Nexus is. Verizon has never gone away from the Nexus line, because they were never with it in the first place. I'm sure the majority of people would love a pure Android device if it isn't slowed down, and buggy. If you market it the right way everyone would want it. In reality what does a phone with Sense or Blur do, that pure Android doesn't do? Oh and I'm sure the VAST majority of OG Droid users would jump at the chance to use their upgrade on a brand new Nexus device. If they market this phone the way it should be it will be a killer device.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37