Nexus ______. October.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
well, this could turn out to be a real kick in the crotch: False Alarm, No Google Nexus Prime Coming To Verizon After All?

i may end up with the Droid HD after all...

edit: after closer reading, GizmoCrunch cites AndroidSoul, who cites Droid-Life, who cites BGR. in other words, Gizmo isn't relying on any of its own sources, but is merely giving its own interpretation to a 3rd iteration/interpretation of the original BGR article..... nothing new here, and certainly no facts.

Yeah they had me trippin also, plus they are the only ones that I've seen mention touchwiz. I don't think GizmoCrunch knows much of everything. Plus they seem to be very pro iphone from some of their recent articles I've read.

SN Think about all the hardcore Android fans that would jump ship and come to VZW to get the Nexus?? I for one will strongly consider leaving VZW if they bring some crap loaded with touchwiz. Only thing that would keep me is to see if maybe the new Motorola would bring a pure Android phone.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to disagree here. The reason the Nexus hasn't sod well is because it isn't marketed period. I have never ever ever ever seen any type of Nexus commercial. Have you? The Nexus doesn't sell because nobody knows what the hell a Nexus is. Verizon has never gone away from the Nexus line, because they were never with it in the first place. I'm sure the majority of people would love a pure Android device if it isn't slowed down, and buggy. If you market it the right way everyone would want it. In reality what does a phone with Sense or Blur do, that pure Android doesn't do? Oh and I'm sure the VAST majority of OG Droid users would jump at the chance to use their upgrade on a brand new Nexus device. If they market this phone the way it should be it will be a killer device.

Agreed

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to disagree here. The reason the Nexus hasn't sod well is because it isn't marketed period. I have never ever ever ever seen any type of Nexus commercial. Have you? The Nexus doesn't sell because nobody knows what the hell a Nexus is. Verizon has never gone away from the Nexus line, because they were never with it in the first place. I'm sure the majority of people would love a pure Android device if it isn't slowed down, and buggy. If you market it the right way everyone would want it. In reality what does a phone with Sense or Blur do, that pure Android doesn't do? Oh and I'm sure the VAST majority of OG Droid users would jump at the chance to use their upgrade on a brand new Nexus device. If they market this phone the way it should be it will be a killer device.

I would agree that it hasn't been marketed well. However, what Sense, Blur, TouchWiz, etc., do is provide a user easier access for common operations, along with some eye-candy. The majority of customers prefer this ease of use over most all else, and thus that's what ends up selling better. That's a huge reason as to why the iPhone sells so well.

Verizon was not in the game because they chose not to be. And part of their reasoning is the same as what I'm saying -- they don't believe that a Nexus device is more desired over custom skinned devices such as the TBolt, Bionic, etc.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon didnt want a stock android device because they didnt stand out from the beginning, and would not sell.

With stock now being rare overall, its a legitimate selling point to have and it being stock alone will set it apart.

Besides, it needs marketing period if you want it to sell. Anyone rememeber Nexus marketing?....Exactly.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I would agree that it hasn't been marketed well. However, what Sense, Blur, TouchWiz, etc., do is provide a user easier access for common operations, along with some eye-candy. The majority of customers prefer this ease of use over most all else, and thus that's what ends up selling better. That's a huge reason as to why the iPhone sells so well.

Verizon was not in the game because they chose not to be. And part of their reasoning is the same as what I'm saying -- they don't believe that a Nexus device is more desired over custom skinned devices such as the TBolt, Bionic, etc.

Blur was ugly as hell, touchwiz is ugly, and sense is okay. Also, what did those skins really ad that wasn't already there? Well I guess sense added a huge giant clock that took up half the screen. So if you ask me non of those skins really stood out period. Plus ICS I think will be a whole lot different.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Blur was ugly as hell, touchwiz is ugly, and sense is okay. Also, what did those skins really ad that wasn't already there? Well I guess sense added a huge giant clock that took up half the screen. So if you ask me non of those skins really stood out period. Plus ICS I think will be a whole lot different.

Actually skins are more than skin deep in many cases. TouchWiz devices, for example, have a GPU accelerated browser that enhances responsiveness, the mini app panel on the new tablets, etc. Sense and Blur services equipped phones offer optional functionality that other platforms have out of the box that stock Android doesnt. Stuff like phone locate/ring/lock and wipe, online photo viewing/backup, call log/text message online viewing, and more. IIRC, Blur devices still support more accounts out of the box (like last.fm....built right into the phone) than stock.

While its possible to get functionality like this by downloading individual apps, something has to be said for the integrated look and feel of FriendStream/Peep, BuddiesNow, and their respective widgets. Everything blends in, like it was made to be there. Plus its one less app to download, one less service running in the background, etc.

Finally, stock's look is sooo bland. I own a stock device and see the appeal of it but it is admittedly a bit plain Jane. Now who knows, ICS might surprise us, but that (admittedly questionable) leaked set of screen shots suggests otherwise.
:)

Reactions: evansgw

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
SN Think about all the hardcore Android fans that would jump ship and come to VZW to get the Nexus?? I for one will strongly consider leaving VZW if they bring some crap loaded with touchwiz. Only thing that would keep me is to see if maybe the new Motorola would bring a pure Android phone.

If Verizon doesn't release a stock version of the ICS device I will not be a Verizon customer by 2012, period. I like their network, but I'm not willing to be held a slave to their idiotic choices of what "differentiates" a phone. I don't mind that they sell customers Blur and Touchwiz phones, as long as I get a choice of a real phone with the stock UI (sorry, but the Xperia Play doesn't count). They either get with the program or I stop sending them e-payments every month.

rlb81

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the VAST majority of OG Droid users would jump at the chance to use their upgrade on a brand new Nexus device. If they market this phone the way it should be it will be a killer device.

Completely agreed. Coming from vanilla (OG Droid, then a DroidX running Apex 2.0) I can't wait for another chance at pure Android. And I don't mean ROM-ing my $300 Bionic that's going back tonight.

Perhaps if Android was standard across the board it would be held in higher regard. The iPhone is the iPhone, period. Android here isn't Android there. Pick up a Blur device and a Sense device side by side, it's not the same experience. Is that good or bad? I suppose that's up to the individual, but it sure doesn't help marketability in the end.

Sense and Blur services equipped phones offer optional functionality that other platforms have out of the box that stock Android doesnt. Stuff like phone locate/ring/lock and wipe, online photo viewing/backup, call log/text message online viewing, and more.

While the skins may add functionality how much of that is used by the average person? I think in the end the skins fragment Android too much and cause bugs in phone A while phone B works just fine. Ready any App review in the market...

Finally, stock's look is sooo bland. I own a stock device and see the appeal of it but it is admittedly a bit plain Jane. Now who knows, ICS might surprise us, but that (admittedly questionable) leaked set of screen shots suggests otherwise.
:)

iphone is a bit bland looking too, IMO. But then again some people prefer simplicity vs a bunch of extra stuff that probably doesn't get used. Uniformity is nice in widgets, menus etc but take Blur for example....it's way more ugly than vanilla android.

In the end I just hope VZW gets another phone that can stand up to the OG droid in terms of impact and user experience.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
re: "I would agree that it hasn't been marketed well. However, what Sense, Blur, TouchWiz, etc., do is provide a user easier access for common operations, along with some eye-candy. The majority of customers prefer this ease of use over most all else, and thus that's what ends up selling better. That's a huge reason as to why the iPhone sells so well.

Perhaps if Android was standard across the board it would be held in higher regard. The iPhone is the iPhone, period. Android here isn't Android there. Pick up a Blur device and a Sense device side by side, it's not the same experience. Is that good or bad? I suppose that's up to the individual, but it sure doesn't help marketability in the end.

The skins DO add functionality and ease of use. To me they are helpful. I love the Wifi, 3G, bluetooth, etc on/off widgets in the notifications shade in TouchWiz, for example. Infinitely more useful than stock Android. There are many examples like this. They don't just make the OS pretty (though I think that is also a benefit, as I to find stock very, very bland and lacking inspiration), but they increase functionality.

Now if these skins slow the phone down, that's an issue that the user would need to weigh in making a decision. I actually like TouchWiz on my Samsung Fascinate. I had the OG (still do , somewhere), and prefer Touchwiz over stock. Maybe with ICS a lot of this will change, maybe not.

But if a skin looks good, increases functionality and doesn't markedly slow the phone down, people are going to like it and I think that is what we see in the general public ..

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
New to the forums (and hopefully to Android with the Prime). I'm seeing a lot of speculation about Verizon as the likely carrier. But what I'll really be after is an unlocked Prime. If Google does a carrier-branded phone on release day, what's the likelihood that they'll simultaneously offer an unlocked GSM version in the $5-$600 range?

Thanks
C

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
New to the forums (and hopefully to Android with the Prime). I'm seeing a lot of speculation about Verizon as the likely carrier. But what I'll really be after is an unlocked Prime. If Google does a carrier-branded phone on release day, what's the likelihood that they'll simultaneously offer an unlocked GSM version in the $5-$600 range?

Thanks
C

You will probably see 2 versions released: an unsubsidized european version and Verizon's exclusive for the states. Bottom line, you will have to pay full retail for GSM right away.

We will know in a week.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
The skins DO add functionality and ease of use. To me they are helpful. I love the Wifi, 3G, bluetooth, etc on/off widgets in the notifications shade in TouchWiz, for example. Infinitely more useful than stock Android. There are many examples like this. They don't just make the OS pretty (though I think that is also a benefit, as I to find stock very, very bland and lacking inspiration), but they increase functionality.

Now if these skins slow the phone down, that's an issue that the user would need to weigh in making a decision. I actually like TouchWiz on my Samsung Fascinate. I had the OG (still do , somewhere), and prefer Touchwiz over stock. Maybe with ICS a lot of this will change, maybe not.

But if a skin looks good, increases functionality and doesn't markedly slow the phone down, people are going to like it and I think that is what we see in the general public ..

It would be best if they shipped all phones with their skin but had the option to run it stock. I don't think it's right the force people to use your skin. Give us the hardware and software option. They'd probably sell more.

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Phil says that Verizon is getting the GSM version too. A world phone variant?

I haven't seen this.. there's no way for Verizon to use the GSM version that just passed through the FCC, it doesn't have the baseband support to do EVDO or even 1x...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000