I just found the Function on a mobile speed test site.

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
never know.......

One thing that the guys over at the Android Forums and I we wondering is if that Function really was XOOM users, how could they have gotten such good scores, better than all of the LTE phones?

The LTE XOOM isn't out yet, and I doubt that beta testers of it would even identify with the service, let alone say they were using a Function.

Here's a quote from another user at the Android Forums:

AntimonyER said:
One fishy thing with this story. These are LTE Xooms that were misidentified as Samsung Functions. But LTE Xooms are not released yet. That means Verizon employees were the ones that did this... Why? Why not rename it as a Bionic, so to boost the hype for a phone by the same manufacturer, and Verizon's fave? Or just leave it as it is, since everyone knows the details of that already... I could understand if it were a third party playing a prank, but not Verizon. I am not buying this story.

Pretty much says it all.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing that the guys over at the Android Forums and I we wondering is if that Function really was XOOM users, how could they have gotten such good scores, better than all of the LTE phones?

The LTE XOOM isn't out yet, and I doubt that beta testers of it would even identify with the service, let alone say they were using a Function.

Here's a quote from another user at the Android Forums:

Pretty much says it all.

What if the reason they renamed it the function was because they figured if they were caught using the LTE xoom they would face repercussions? I mean it seems strange they would rename a tablet as a phone but with verizon nothing surprises me anymore. I think as the weeks go on we will begin to hear/see more about this.

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
I have emailed with the guys from Geekaphone. Here is their response.

I'm not saying I know for sure this wasn't a new device, I'm just making the best guess I can :)

So of those 13 "Samsung Function" results, 11 of them had a user agent like this:
- Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.0.1; en-us; Bottle of Smoke Build/HRI66) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13

I think this is a Motorola Xoom user agent (it could be faked of course!) I think the fast javascript benchmarks make sense though since its dual core, and maybe Android 3 has a more optimized browser? What do you think?

The other two were:
- Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; VS910 4G Build/VS910ZV4) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
- Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; pcdadr6350 Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

The other point you raised is why did these 13 results get identified as "Samsung Function". I have a rather boring answer here unfortunatley. If geekaphone.com can't guess which device you have based on your user agent, it shows you a list of devices (e.g. android devices in this case) and asks you to pick. The Samsung Function is the first one in the list. I might look at adding a "Skip this step" button to that screen, so if someone doesn't care to identify their device they can just click that without having to pick the first one in the list randomly.

I have looked up those user-agents, and all point to some other devices.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This just got a lot more interesting.

It couldn't guess my device yesterday and the Function never showed up on the list and if it was I didn't see it. Certainly was not the first though.

Sent from my Droid

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
Scroll up. Certainly does not mean anything is going on but that was not my experience when I ran the test and it didn't find my device

Sent from my Droid

Congratulations sir for bringing back a glimmer of hope. I'm just getting tired of my enV Touch, although it has incredible DPI for the screen. 480x685 at 1.5" by 2.5".

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations sir for bringing back a glimmer of hope. I'm just getting tired of my enV Touch, although it has incredible DPI for the screen. 480x685 at 1.5" by 2.5".

I have upgrades burning through the floors of my home and are threatening to breach the basement floor.

Sent from my Droid

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
I have upgrades burning through the floors of my home and are threatening to breach the basement floor.

Sent from my Droid

Every phone on my family's plan is due for an upgrade, and I care what I get for the next 2 years. Both parents have Blackberries, and my brother has a flip phone. The other thing is that I'm a developer, so I need to have as much freedom as possible. So I'm hoping either this or the Droid Bionic have the unlockable bootloaders.

Elite Busido

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
shouldnt really matter about 2 years. after a year or whenever a new phone comes out that you want, want it retail and sell your phone. youll end up paying a little more then what the upgrade pricing would have been if for new smartphones. like how you would with 1 year upgrades anyway

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
As do I. 2 years is a LOOONG time to own a handset that I settled on.

You think having the OG Droid for 2 years is bad?

Imagine getting this enV Touch and having the Droid come out less than 2 weeks later. The pain.

zhrba.png

shouldnt really matter about 2 years. after a year or whenever a new phone comes out that you want, want it retail and sell your phone. youll end up paying a little more then what the upgrade pricing would have been if for new smartphones. like how you would with 1 year upgrades anyway

I'm not paying for it, my parents do. Verizon also phased out the early upgrades for new contracts, so that's not an option after this upgrade.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You think having the OG Droid for 2 years is bad?

Imagine getting this enV Touch and having the Droid come out less than 2 weeks later. The pain..
Beleive it or not I still love my Droid. I'm running 2.3.4 on it and it's in mint condition. If I want a change I flash another ROM on it and I'm good to go. Now if I was in your postition with an enV Touch I would REALLY feel your pain :)

I now see why you are patient and stalk your handsets now. LOL. Patience in this game is a neccesity. If you have no patience you lose and have regrets.

pc747

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Beleive it or not I still love my Droid. I'm running 2.3.4 on it and it's in mint condition. If I want a change I flash another ROM on it and I'm good to go. Now if I was in your position with an enV Touch I would REALLY feel your pain :)

I now see why you are patient and stalk your handsets now. LOL. Patience in this game is a necessity. If you have no patience you lose and have regrets.

Exactly and you could end up with a tbolt with bad battery life and software issues. Heck the inc 2 is getting love for being the better device...infact htc supports the inc2 more than they do the tbolt. Yes I am waiting for the sgs2.... I hope its the device that lives up to the hype because my tbolt didnt.

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
Beleive it or not I still love my Droid. I'm running 2.3.4 on it and it's in mint condition. If I want a change I flash another ROM on it and I'm good to go. Now if I was in your postition with an enV Touch I would REALLY feel your pain :)

I now see why you are patient and stalk your handsets now. LOL. Patience in this game is a neccesity. If you have no patience you lose and have regrets.

Trust me, I have nothing bad to say about the OG. Easy to root, ROM, etc. enV Touch? Not Android = Useless. Believe it or not, but this phone was marketed as the app phone on Verizon. Yes it has apps, but not in a million years would I pay 3 dollars a month for an app.

I've been able to upgrade since early April, but at that time the LTE phones weren't exactly new anymore. And I waited, and waited, and waited. And then that new ICS Moto phone was rumored, so now will I wait for that? You can't win!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, I have nothing bad to say about the OG. Easy to root, ROM, etc. enV Touch? Not Android = Useless. Believe it or not, but this phone was marketed as the app phone on Verizon. Yes it has apps, but not in a million years would I pay 3 dollars a month for an app.

I've been able to upgrade since early April, but at that time the LTE phones weren't exactly new anymore. And I waited, and waited, and waited. And then that new ICS Moto phone was rumored, so now will I wait for that? You can't win!

What app do you have to pay 3 dollars a month?