LATEST RELEASE NEWS: August?

rupst2

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I really hope that the SGSII is not put off until late September. They did say that they would release in August, and this doesn't technically break that promise because they will release some of them in August. I still feel like it would be a very poor decision on their part. People are already jumping ship on the Droid Bionic because of a rumored early September release date. A late September release date puts it way to close to things like the rumored Nexus Prime. All that does is encourage people to wait a couple more months for the prime.
It seems everything is always a few months after hopeful rumors. I doubt we see ICS and Prime this year. I'm thinking Feb.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
It seems everything is always a few months after hopeful rumors. I doubt we see ICS and Prime this year. I'm thinking Feb.

Thats very true, but that doesn't stop people from waiting because of those rumors. People have been waiting for months based on the SGSII and Bionic rumors. I definitely agree with you because i don't see any way for the prime to be 100% ready to go in just 4 months, but the rumors will still pull people away from the SGSII if it releases that late.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
That is the frustrating part for me. Like most, if the Prime is going to come out in October then I will pass on the S2. However a lot of people seem to be in my situation, where we are using crappy phones that we desperately want to upgrade. I will wait for the Prime if it is going to come in October or November, it just doesn't make sense to buy a S2 and then sell it so soon afterwards to get a Prime. Waste of money that I can use on the multitude of video games coming out this Fall. However, if this thing is not going to end up not being released until next year then I would gladly buy an S2 and then get the Prime later.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am in the same boat as you. I am using a samsung alias 2 and I desperately need to upgrade. I have been saving my upgrade credit since last december and I don't want to wait endlessly for the Prime to come out. I feel like having it out in october would basically be impossible. We have no clue how far they are in the process and that seems way too early IMHO. At this point in time I am just hoping the SGSII comes out soonish and has LTE because there is nothing left for me to do.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thats very true, but that doesn't stop people from waiting because of those rumors. People have been waiting for months based on the SGSII and Bionic rumors. I definitely agree with you because i don't see any way for the prime to be 100% ready to go in just 4 months, but the rumors will still pull people away from the SGSII if it releases that late.

People aren't waiting because of the rumors.... They're waiting because every other LTE phone available is a piece of ****. The Bionic was supposed to be the first dual-core LTE phone. The Galaxy S2 will hopefully have an LTE radio and the better screen. The Nexus Prime will be the ultimate device.

In my opinion, Motorola failed miserably by not launching the Bionic by now. If this phone miraculously comes out on Aug. 4th, I will probably buy it. But the latest delay simply puts it too close to the others. Therefore, no reason to rush my decision any longer.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If the Function comes with LTE, hopefully they beef it up with a 1800mah battery. I wouldn't mind the extra weight since some people complain its too light anyways.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Btw, dont you hate it when reviewers complain that the sgs2 doesnt feel like a premium phone because it doesnt have heft like the ip4? since when was portability taken as a con...?

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
People aren't waiting because of the rumors.... They're waiting because every other LTE phone available is a piece of ****. The Bionic was supposed to be the first dual-core LTE phone. The Galaxy S2 will hopefully have an LTE radio and the better screen. The Nexus Prime will be the ultimate device.

In my opinion, Motorola failed miserably by not launching the Bionic by now. If this phone miraculously comes out on Aug. 4th, I will probably buy it. But the latest delay simply puts it too close to the others. Therefore, no reason to rush my decision any longer.

I would have to disagree with you on that. The rumors are what puts the prime with a 720p screen, 1.5 GHz processor, SAMOLED+ display and a gig+ of ram. The rumors are what puts the phone at a October or November release. Proximity to release is what makes people way more inclined to wait. If the rumored release date was in February you would see a lot less people cropping up pledging to get the prime.

Since the only thing we know about the prime right now are rumors and based of that information people are already saying they will bypass the Bionic and SGSII to wait for it, I would say that qualifies them as waiting because of rumors.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
and in all seriousness, if its rumored to come out in oct/nov, it will most likely come out in february. it think/hope most people realize that

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
i would have to disagree with you on that. The rumors are what puts the prime with a 720p screen, 1.5 ghz processor, samoled+ display and a gig+ of ram. The rumors are what puts the phone at a october or november release. Proximity to release is what makes people way more inclined to wait. If the rumored release date was in february you would see a lot less people cropping up pledging to get the prime.

Since the only thing we know about the prime right now are rumors and based of that information people are already saying they will bypass the bionic and sgsii to wait for it, i would say that qualifies them as waiting because of rumors.

people aren't waiting because of the rumors.... They're waiting because every other lte phone available is a piece of ****. The bionic was supposed to be the first dual-core lte phone. The galaxy s2 will hopefully have an lte radio and the better screen. The nexus prime will be the ultimate device.

In my opinion, motorola failed miserably by not launching the bionic by now. If this phone miraculously comes out on aug. 4th, i will probably buy it. But the latest delay simply puts it too close to the others. Therefore, no reason to rush my decision any longer.

actually, i believe it's a little of both, or at least it is for me. You both hit the nail on the head.

btw, dont you hate it when reviewers complain that the sgs2 doesnt feel like a premium phone because it doesnt have heft like the ip4? Since when was portability taken as a con...?

it's because it doesn't have a fruit on the front of it. The apple os is great, but very limited and inhibited. I'd bet, the ones that write these reviews own the iphone and are used to them. I loved the feel of the 3gs but hated the 4, mostly because that was what i was use to.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
So, I was thinking. The Charge is LTE...why not make the GSII LTE? There's been enough time between launches to justify it. The phones are different enough to allow LTE on the GSII. Only reason I see Verizon not wanting the GSII as LTE is because the Charge is part of the DROID line, making it "special".

Can't we just get a Droid Galaxy? :D

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
and in all seriousness, if its rumored to come out in oct/nov, it will most likely come out in february. it think/hope most people realize that

I agree, but knowing my luck I will buy the S2 thinking that and the Prime will be the miracle phone that actually comes out when predicted.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have basically decided that if the SII comes out in August I am getting it but once we roll into September we are far too close to the release of Ice Cream Sandwich and the next Nexus so I might as well wait as my Droid X is holding up decently enough. Honestly even if the Nexus comes out in November I'd prefer to wait a month or two for apps to better support it. We all saw how it took months for most apps to work properly in Gingerbread and Honeycomb and I don't want to basically have a beta phone for two months if I don't have to.

anon(236746)

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The longer we wait, the less interested I become. Each day that passes makes the SGS2 older tech. My old phone is killing me, but...ugh

It was that way with the long-overdue Xperia Play, too (in the US). Had it been available mid-June, it'd be sitting in my wife's pocket right now...instead, it landed late and with a thud. Now, she'll almost certainly go (gasp) iPhone 5. I fear the SGS2 will have a somewhat similar fate, even if there are significant hardware changes.

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
If the SII comes out by the end of September it'll still be by far the best phone on the market. There's always going to be something better around the corner. Other than the Vanilla OS and higher res screen (which I doubt the eye can discern at reasonable distance) the SII is still competitive next to the rumored Nexus.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
After the Bionic announcement of their own chipset and it being one of the reasons for it being late, that kinda tells me they were really putting a lot into it. I'm very interested to see the battery life compared to sgs2 and the other phones. It's back in the running for me. I'm definately gonna try them all out.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm excited for both to launch. The way I see it either you upgrade on Verizon's schedule or you manually upgrade every 3-4 months by selling your phone and buying the next best one. Doing that regularly and keeping my phones in pristine condition while saving all the original packaging has probably enabled me to recover 80-90% of my original purchase price which I then put towards the new phone. So I usually dont have to invest too much to upgrade. So I'll get the gs2 and if it doesn't "cure the illness" as I refer to my smartphone addiction, then I'll get the prime a few months later haha

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Then again this is google we are talking about they usually are pretty good with dates like that. It's not like the carriers who can be hit or miss with dates(bionic is perfect example)

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm excited for both to launch. The way I see it either you upgrade on Verizon's schedule or you manually upgrade every 3-4 months by selling your phone and buying the next best one. Doing that regularly and keeping my phones in pristine condition while saving all the original packaging has probably enabled me to recover 80-90% of my original purchase price which I then put towards the new phone. So I usually dont have to invest too much to upgrade. So I'll get the gs2 and if it doesn't "cure the illness" as I refer to my smartphone addiction, then I'll get the prime a few months later haha

I do the same thing usually not every 3-4 months but selling your old phone will usually cover about half or more of the new phone and that is like you are getting the upgrade price anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692