LATEST RELEASE NEWS: August?

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Well while it doesn't give us details, such as which carriers will see this release time, the great news is that more details are likely to start coming soon. Should at least let us VZW customers know if we will be seeing this soon or if we need to start considering other options.

Completely agree. With the rumors of the this and the Bionic I probably will hold off on getting a Charge.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The stuff about a holiday release worry me, but it sounds like they are random rumors with nothing to back them as of yet. I really hope VZW doesn't drop the ball on the release date. 4th quarter is likely a deal breaker for me.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
The stuff about a holiday release worry me, but it sounds like they are random rumors with nothing to back them as of yet. I really hope VZW doesn't drop the ball on the release date. 4th quarter is likely a deal breaker for me.

There is no stuff about a holiday release. There's absolutely no reason to take that bad source seriously.

Dandroide

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's what we've ALL been waiting for

-----------------------
Wednesday July 20, 2011, Matt Brian
Samsung Galaxy S II set for US debut in August

Samsung’s mobile chief revealed on Wednesday that the Korean smartphone giant will launch its popular Galaxy S II Android handset in the US in August, at a time where it could face stiff competition from Apple’s next-generation iPhone.

Yonhap News reports that Shin Jong-kyun, president of Samsung’s mobile business and digital imaging, told reporters in a media briefing ”we expect to release the Galaxy S2 in the U.S. market sometime in August,” keeping addition details on its launch to a minimum.

An August launch follows a successful launch in Europe and Asia in April, where the company recorded three million sales in less than two months.

Samsung will likely brand the Samsung Galaxy S II in partnerships with various US mobile operators, emulating the launch of the first Galaxy S smartphone in the country. However, when the device launches, many consumers may consider waiting to see what Apple has planned with its next-generation iPhone.

The Cupertino-based company sold 20.34 million iPhones in its second quarter, with analysts estimating that Samsung sold 19.5 million smartphones in the same period.

LINK: http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2011/07/20/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-set-for-us-debut-in-august/

SOURCE QUOTED: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2011/07/20/2/0601000000AEN20110720005400320F.HTML

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's what we've ALL been waiting for

-----------------------
Wednesday July 20, 2011, Matt Brian
Samsung Galaxy S II set for US debut in August

Samsung’s mobile chief revealed on Wednesday that the Korean smartphone giant will launch its popular Galaxy S II Android handset in the US in August, at a time where it could face stiff competition from Apple’s next-generation iPhone.

Yonhap News reports that Shin Jong-kyun, president of Samsung’s mobile business and digital imaging, told reporters in a media briefing ”we expect to release the Galaxy S2 in the U.S. market sometime in August,” keeping addition details on its launch to a minimum.

An August launch follows a successful launch in Europe and Asia in April, where the company recorded three million sales in less than two months.

Samsung will likely brand the Samsung Galaxy S II in partnerships with various US mobile operators, emulating the launch of the first Galaxy S smartphone in the country. However, when the device launches, many consumers may consider waiting to see what Apple has planned with its next-generation iPhone.

The Cupertino-based company sold 20.34 million iPhones in its second quarter, with analysts estimating that Samsung sold 19.5 million smartphones in the same period.

LINK: Samsung Galaxy S II set for US debut in August - TNW Mobile

SOURCE QUOTED: Samsung to release Galaxy S2 in U.S. next month | YONHAP NEWS

Why would you post this 3 pages into a thread already created based off this news?

Reactions: shipwrestler125

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
There is no stuff about a holiday release. There's absolutely no reason to take that bad source seriously.

True, and normally I would discount it without a second thought. The problem is Verizon's track record in the past with phones. Best network around, but they have made some awful decisions when it has come down to the actual phones. They are notorious for receiving versions of phones released well after their counter-parts came out on other carriers.

Maybe if they are trying to make it an LTE device then it might delay it for whatever reason, possibly just to clear out as many of the Droid Charge as possible.

I feel like with the popularity of the phone, most carriers want to strike while it is still the hot seller. So I believe that it will likely come out in August for VZW. However, it would not be the first time they have completely surprised everyone with some sort of stupidity. Until some solid info comes out specifically about the Function, I will continue to worry some that VZW will have a late release.

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This was just emailed to me from 1 of my Sources at Verizon when I asked about the GS2 and its release on Verizon This was his Response:

Function is a shareholder name much like Stealth was for charge. Processor will be Tegra 2 I imagine just like the GTab 10.1. People can stop hoping its an LTE phone because its going to be CDMA based. We are also getting a Samsung spider phone which does appear to have LTE connectivity. Also as a side note after September customers lose their New Every Two discount if they haven't yet used it.

Take it for what it is worth!!!

UUUUUGH! :-\

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Friend-o if that turns out to be the truth the eff Verizon ill move to another carrier. I have had enough of the second rate phones. Ill get the full exynos and 4g experience from another carrier.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
and Friend-O I got info last month it was definitely LTE. So don't stress. There is conflicting information out there so somebody is wrong :)

Also, I'm not sure I buy the New Every Two suddenly coming to an end in September. VZW phased that out at the beginning of the year and said they would honor the rest. If you bought a phone in December in 2010 you're not eligible for over a year.

This sounds like nonsense to me.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There have been reports both ways. I don't think you can be locked in to either of them. For me 4G is a big deal, but I realize for others it might not be.

The good news is this: if it's going to the FCC soon (which it probably will be) its going to have to have the spectrum (radios) listed. Granted, depending on the delay you could just see the GSM band one which wouldn't tell you anything.

I had not heard the "lose your NE2 if not used by Sept" thing before. So much for "you will keep it until you use it" I guess.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
and Friend-O I got info last month it was definitely LTE. So don't stress. There is conflicting information out there so somebody is wrong :)

Alright, so now I have think whether I want to pay full retail for this or wait for the end of the year to see of Verizon does get the Nexus in some shape or form. That's the only thing holding me back.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
UUUUUGH! :-\

Probably best just to take a breather and discount the "inside information" until something official is announced. It's better for the health and head hair density. There's probably going to be a lot of speculation and "leaks" flying around over the next couple of weeks.

I'm guessing the guy that emailed Preach2k was rushed or something, but I assume by "shareholder" he means "placeholder" and "spider" should be "slider". The slider thing does line up with what we've already heard and seen pictures of, but this is the first I've heard about Function/Attain/Within possibly being placeholder names. Mildly interesting I guess.

Still, regardless of your carrier, I'd imagine there's going to be something we're going to be disappointed about. Anticipation has grown significantly over the past few months which sets us up for being let down. I'm still hopeful for you guys though! I'm likely sticking with Sprint so I don't care about 4G as much. I wouldn't mind if they stuck a WiMax radio in it but I doubt we'll ever see robust WiMax support here in San Diego.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I won't be getting overly excited like most of you for the following reasons: 1) highly unlikely that vzw would release 2 4g phones less than a month apart from each other 2) last time a galaxy s phone came out, vzw bloated it (e.g. bing), downgraded some key hardware specs, released the phone late, and was the main cause of slow software upgrades. There is almost 0% chance that the Function will be as elite as the original GS2. How is vzw supposed to distinguish their phone lineup and have phones sell at different price points if the bionic and function have almost the same specs? Not trying to rain down on your parade, but just be aware so you wont be too disappointed IF it happens.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Elite Busido

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure I buy the New Every Two suddenly coming to an end in September. VZW phased that out at the beginning of the year and said they would honor the rest. If you bought a phone in December in 2010 you're not eligible for over a year.

This sounds like nonsense to me.

This is true. But after sept of next year even if u do have one your SOL on the NE2. And of course the last upgrade had to have been before Jan 16.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rumor authorized Verizon retailors to get bionic 08/12

Looks like we didn't have to wait long to find out if Vanilla Ice knew what he was talking about...

From the AP: Samsung sets Galaxy S II smartphone's US rollout for August

And Verizon got the Fascinate very last with a September release when ATT got theirs in July. Just because a little comment by the CEO while being in another country says "Aug" doesnt mean its going to release the same month. And knowing Verizon, they will release it after the iphone 5 because steve Jobs says so! haha but really, as of now the release time frame is winter. Like i said before, anything can change and we may see it sooner!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae