VZW GS2 the Thinnest 4G Smartphone? Sounds Like It!

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys. Seriously. I hate to burst your bubble, but there's no way this is the S2 unless it's delayed until technology that doesn't exist yet is developed. Line up all the specs. It's not a phone that's even on the horizon for this year.

My god I wish this was a phone coming out soon, but it's not. Not a chance.

it also says it has 11 bands. I just think with everything they are saying they are just seeing what people want I think the tech just isnt there yet and maybe this is what would be the gs3 from samsung or new nexus? Even that seems like a long shot if the new nexus is coming out in november just seems like that is too much in one package for such a new tech(LTE)

*hands over ears* La la la la la la la la la la la la!!!!

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Guys. Seriously. I hate to burst your bubble, but there's no way this is the S2 unless it's delayed until technology that doesn't exist yet is developed. Line up all the specs. It's not a phone that's even on the horizon for this year.

My god I wish this was a phone coming out soon, but it's not. Not a chance.

Can somebody post up a good eye roll pic for me lol.

Sent from my Droid

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Let us look at the silver lining. Even if this isn't the S2, at least Verizon seems to be taking steps to get a hold of another uber phone. Most times we would have been reading about this phone in some other carriers documents and we would be complaining about how yet another amazing phone was going elsewhere and we wouldn't see it on Verizon until a year later.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Can somebody post up a good eye roll pic for me lol.

The Thunderbolt had 4 radios in it and was 0.56" thick, how in the world do you think that a phone is going to have "11 antenna" in it and be 0.25" thick?

(Yes, I know the TB was party that thick due to the large PCB, but the Charge is 0.46" with less radios)

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The Thunderbolt had 4 radios in it and was 0.56" thick, how in the world do you think that a phone is going to have "11 antenna" in it and be 0.25" thick?

(Yes, I know the TB was party that thick due to the large PCB, but the Charge is 0.46" with less radios)

Don't know....I have no clue what technology is posssibly out there and I'm sure Samsung is not going to divulge that info/tech to anyone before the handset is released. They did say it's a redesign from the ground up, creating smaller components etc etc. All feasable. It's been in development since last year, I'm sure it can be done.

I can't say the info is accurate, bogus or not possible at this time. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely. Taking the over seas version and improving upon it is a real possibility. It's not like they have not had anytime to do so. I think some people are assuming that there is only one version of the GS2 that will make it's rounds around the world. Knowing Samsung they will hit the US Market with something just as spectacular as the current version. We are basically talking about a thinner phone with a slightly "better" screen (yet to be seen) nothing earth shattering BUTT an improvement. It sounds and looks to be a slightly upgraded GS2 which could in fact go by an entirely different name and still be a part of the Galaxy S series.

I think the description of the phone is done so well that people are not realizing the phone is not that huge of a departure from the original. It's improved, which it should be. People are already saying it can't compete if it's not released soon because of the iPhone dropping around September, well THIS device will compete EASILY against it. Don't think Samsung isn't aware of the iPhone being released on Verizon in the fall. They know what they are up against and they are not trying to take a backseat to Apple.

I fully expect the Function to be a huge surprise. It's just makes sense to me. EVERYONE (manufacturers) is aware of the new iPhone. HTC and LG have got some stuff coming out as well so this is not exclusive to Sammy.

I just think that HTC, Samsung and LG are doing a better job of competing against it. In closing I think this phone is a Galaxy S phone that will surprise many. Possibly a 3D phone or just an upgraded GS2 with an obviously improved screen.

edit: I'm going to say based on this new info a Q3 release won't happen. This looks like a Q4 phone. Just my opinion ofcourse

Last edited:

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You're all wrong. If it's describing a device close to production or even being considered by Verizon, it sounds like the Nexus Prime.

Rubin allegedly loves Samsung and some of the specs don't match up to what we know about the Bionic or the SGS2, both of which have already been seen by people.

If the specs are realistic, seems like Verizon was testing reception of the Nexus Prime, even if spec sheet isn't yet fina.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You're all wrong. If it's describing a device close to production or even being considered by Verizon, it sounds like the Nexus Prime.

Rubin allegedly loves Samsung and some of the specs don't match up to what we know about the Bionic or the SGS2, both of which have already been seen by people.

If the specs are realistic, seems like Verizon was testing reception of the Nexus Prime, even if spec sheet isn't yet fina.

Really, this seems more plausible. They did say Verizon was looking into the Nexus, maybe they're testing to see how consumers react to these features and if they should carry it or not.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
CK - I agree with a lot of what you said, I do think if they're making revisions you could see a very powerful phone coming out. I really hope that it ends up being 4G. I also hope it comes out soon. I'm just worried about both of those, because I really like this phone. I don't think the new iPhone is as scary to some people as some give it credit for. Then again, it might effect the release date.

That being said, there's still a certain amount of physical limitations. A phone that is 0.25 simply cannot have 11 antenna on it at this point in time. While I agree there are a good amount of innovations (and I believe LTE technology will miniaturize relatively quickly) it's not there yet.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope not. This SGS2 roller coaster ride is making me a little sick....all the loops and turns ...I think I am ready to get off this ride.... but I do not want to wimp out.

You think this is bad? Try hanging on the Merge roller coaster from October of 2010 til about a month ago. :'(;)

Let us look at the silver lining. Even if this isn't the S2, at least Verizon seems to be taking steps to get a hold of another uber phone. Most times we would have been reading about this phone in some other carriers documents and we would be complaining about how yet another amazing phone was going elsewhere and we wouldn't see it on Verizon until a year later.

Yep, the specs look like this'll be a powerful phone, whatever it is.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Its clearly not the Bionic but to say its the Nexus Prime is nothing more than pure speculation. Truth of the matter is it could be any number of handsets at this point and we can't rule out any of them.

We are all trying to put together this puzzle but we are missing several pieces and without them the puzzle will never be complete. I think the best guess right now is that its the 3D based off of both docs/leaks.

Sent from my Droid

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I just thought I'd take the liberty of breaking down all the feature this mysterious phone (obviously made by Samsung though) has.

1800mAh Battery
DLNA
11 antennas
Dual core clocked at 1.2GHz
4G with Mobile Hotspot
Cloud Storage (?)
Android Market
8MP camera with HD video recording
FFC (?)
Global Support
127grams light
Quarter inch thick and rugged
4.3" Super AMOLED 'Advanced' display
Black Kevlar detailed with lines of diamond- cut spun chrome

And in software:
Launch camera directly from lock screen
'Intelligent customization' - creates shortcuts to certain apps for certain moments (maybe profiles?)

Sounds way beyond the GSII. Even if its not the GSII, I'd be happen to know if it was just real. They can call it whatever they want.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And in software:
Launch camera directly from lock screen
'Intelligent customization' - creates shortcuts to certain apps for certain moments (maybe profiles?)

Sounds way beyond the GSII. Even if its not the GSII, I'd be happen to know if it was just real. They can call it whatever they want.

Sounds like it could use GPS location to launch the apps when you arrive at a certain place, kinda like
Tasker but for everyday people. (easier, simplified UI, etc)

That would be a lot cooler than profile support, as that's not new at all.

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of a focus group for something like this?

"How would you like to have THE BEST PHONE EVER?!?"

"The focus group really responded to that spec sheet, Bob."

Also, couldn't some of these wacky things just be marketing hyperbole? Most of what they say is very similar to the GSII, but a bit inflated. And the copy is pretty amateur.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of a focus group for something like this?

"How would you like to have THE BEST PHONE EVER?!?"

"The focus group really responded to that spec sheet, Bob."

Also, couldn't some of these wacky things just be marketing hyperbole? Most of what they say is very similar to the GSII, but a bit inflated. And the copy is pretty amateur.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I laugh out loud but I agree. I was saying in another thread that I was part of a focus group for a friend. The product did in fact exist and they asked us how we would describe it if we were trying to market it. They also had copy similiar to this but obviously geared toward that product and asked us line by line to check off agree,strongly agree, disagree or strongly disagree in reference to the accuracy of the description.

One line item mentioned an ingredient and its chemical make up and we were all like "huh?"

It was an entirely different product but non the less I think the purpose of these things is the same. To see how a consumer reacts to your product and its marketing material as a whole. 11 radios and its thickness may not even be accurate but the consumer may not even bat an eyelash over that and just say "yeah I agree with that. Its really thin and the reception is awesome I couldn't kill off the signal and the call quality sounded perfect"

I think the product exists its just a question of what is it.

Sent from my Droid

pc747

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I laugh out loud but I agree. I was saying in another thread that I was part of a focus group for a friend. The product did in fact exist and they asked us how we would describe it if we were trying to market it. They also had copy similiar to this but obviously geared toward that product and asked us line by line to check off agree,strongly agree, disagree or strongly disagree in reference to the accuracy of the description.

One line item mentioned an ingredient and its chemical make up and we were all like "huh?"

It was an entirely different product but non the less I think the purpose of these things is the same. To see how a consumer reacts to your product and its marketing material as a whole. 11 radios and its thickness may not even be accurate but the consumer may not even bat an eyelash over that and just say "yeah I agree with that. Its really thin and the reception is awesome I couldn't kill off the signal and the call quality sounded perfect"

I think the product exists its just a question of what is it.

Sent from my Droid

First CK congrats on .

Here is my feeling.... dont get all hyped up. Set money aside incase but I would not go around and post that on other blogs and forums as gospel. Does it seem to good to be true, yes but at one time so was flying. I hope it does turn out that way or atleast close to it, because that mean vzw does care about other devices other than the fruit. Because the first wave of lte phones were, eh. The fact that the charge will be the best lte device when people were complaining about it be overpriced sort of shows where we are at here. The tbolt did not turn out like we thought because of software issues and the amount of people who were big on the tbolt now turning on htc is increasing by the day with each poor update.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
First CK congrats on ****....

Here is my feeling.... dont get all hyped up. Set money aside incase but I would not go around and post that on other blogs and forums as gospel. Does it seem to good to be true, yes but at one time so was flying. I hope it does turn out that way or atleast close to it, because that mean vzw does care about other devices other than the fruit. Because the first wave of lte phones were, eh. The fact that the charge will be the best lte device when people were complaining about it be overpriced sort of shows where we are at here. The tbolt did not turn out like we thought because of software issues and the amount of people who were big on the tbolt now turning on htc is increasing by the day with each poor update.

Charles I've been around too long to take anything as Gospel :)

These are simply my thoughts based on what limited info we have. Like I was saying until we get more info all we can do is do our best to try and put everything together and even then it doesn't mean anything.

I do think Samsung has something up their sleeve for a US release and I'm leaning towards an "improved" Galaxy S II of some sort. Who knows though just a thought.

Sent from my Droid

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power