03-08-2013 02:43 PM
3,049 12345 ...
tools
    I'm new to the whole Android world. Will this phone be a stripped version of Android like the Nexus S? Or will it have a UI like HTC Sense, Motoblur, etc..... ?
    It's a Nexus phone, so like the Nexus One and S before it it will have pure 10% vanilla Android. No Sense, no Blur, and No Touchwiz.
    07-26-2011 12:05 PM
    I'm new to the whole Android world. Will this phone be a stripped version of Android like the Nexus S? Or will it have a UI like HTC Sense, Motoblur, etc..... ?
    It will be a Vanilla Android experience like the Nexus S
    07-26-2011 12:05 PM
    Pardon my ignorance...

The Nexus S just went on sale at Best Buy for AT&T customers, yet there is another (and improved) Nexus due out in about 3 months? Interesting timing...
    07-26-2011 12:06 PM
    It will be a Vanilla Android experience like the Nexus S
    Thank you for the reply!
    07-26-2011 12:08 PM
    The Nexus Prime might launch on all carriers at the same time.
    07-26-2011 12:10 PM
    Awesome. Now if I can only wait long enough. I'll also have to see in person how big it is, that worries me. My DX is about perfect in regards to physical size, so I'll just have to see.
    my guess is that since they are eliminating the hard menu/home/back/search buttons, and incorporating them into the screen, they can add more screen size without noticeably changing the physical dimensions of the device.
    f150fan and llocknload like this.
    07-26-2011 12:15 PM
    Duh! lol. Im soo dumb thanx!

Man this phone is going to make me leave Sprint if it doesn't come. I've been with sprint for soo long but a 4.6 inch LTE(probably) no 4g in the detroit metro area from sprint, Ice cream, super amolead(sp) is going to be the best phone known to man. I have the galaxy tab and I can't imagine all that goodness on a phone.
    Clear has a tower in Sterling Hgts and Detroit(supposedly, I can't seem to connect when I go down there) but I have had 4G service around Lakeside Mall.....but u have to be outside in wide open space......it sucks, I know......:/

ahhhhhh.......going todash.........
    07-26-2011 12:21 PM
    Awesome its coming to Verizon, but 4.6" is too much. These companies are going too far. 4.3" os as far as I'm willing to go. We're starting to enter tablet territory.
    07-26-2011 12:24 PM
    But what if they can fit it in the same body of the current 4.3" devices by eliminating the physical buttons and most of the bezel?

I would not be stoked if this comes to Verizon only. It is the only carrier where I get 0 coverage in my office. Hope to see a AT&T or T-Mobile version.

Awesome its coming to Verizon, but 4.6" is too much. These companies are going too far. 4.3" os as far as I'm willing to go. We're starting to enter tablet territory.
    07-26-2011 12:30 PM
    While I'm all for VZW getting a Nexus device (ANY Nexus device), I have to see the specs on this thing. Will it be on LTE? Dual Core? How much RAM? Storage space?

Is it SAMOLED+? QHD?

Will it do my laundry and cook my dinner?

These are the important questions.
    There have been various leaks of the Nexus 3/Prime. Some imply an HTC device. Others a Sammy. Still others an Intel-based (!!) phone. Google isn't going out of their way to find a manufacturer to deliver to them the best Nexus anymore - they are taking submission devices and figuring out which ones they like better and helping the chosen manufacturer deliver a better product for Google's needs.

Long story short - all of the leaks are true, but of different devices. The one that actually becomes the Nexus 3/Prime according to this thread is the Samsung, so that means (according to BGR and other leaks):

Android 4.0, a.k.a. Ice Cream Sandwich
    1.5GHz Dual-core TI OMAP4460
    Super AMOLED HD (720p 4.5"+)
    4G LTE
    No soft buttons
    Google's first Ice Cream Sandwich phone to be manufactured by Samsung, possibly dubbed 'Nexus Prime'

This is all subject to change as well due to tweaks and component switches and such, but there is only one Samsung device in the (front)running for which mobile gets to be the third Nexus.

As far as a screen over 4.3" being too much, consider this: a 4.3" screen today comes with another 0.5" of soft buttons on the bottom. We need those soft buttons to use Android 2.3 and earlier. Those soft buttons get replaced with virtual buttons in Honeycomb and later. Thus, although the screen may be 4.5" or higher, the actual viewing space we have will still be similar to 4.3" - the extra 0.2" to 0.3" will be specifically for the Honeycomb-style soft buttons that will be available at all times.
    07-26-2011 12:37 PM
    I'll take 4.6", I have big hands. I wanted to get the Dell Streak (5") but T-Mo and AT&T suck in my city.
    07-26-2011 12:39 PM
    But what if they can fit it in the same body of the current 4.3" devices by eliminating the physical buttons and most of the bezel?

I would not be stoked if this comes to Verizon only. It is the only carrier where I get 0 coverage in my office. Hope to see a AT&T or T-Mobile version.
    correcto. I think people are assuming they will make the device bigger when in reality they just edge the screen out.
    07-26-2011 12:44 PM
    I'm in love, must start putting money aside to buy this bad boy sans contract.
    07-26-2011 12:52 PM
    Duh! lol. Im soo dumb thanx!

Man this phone is going to make me leave Sprint if it doesn't come. I've been with sprint for soo long but a 4.6 inch LTE(probably) no 4g in the detroit metro area from sprint, Ice cream, super amolead(sp) is going to be the best phone known to man. I have the galaxy tab and I can't imagine all that goodness on a phone.
    Sprint 4G Wimax has lit up in certain parts of Metro Detroit. I have connected briefly and used a couple of times. See Sensorly for areas of marginal coverage for now:
    Sensorly Maps | 4G - USA - Sprint | Sensorly Mi

But back on topic... Phil any coming to Sprint rumors?
    Still would like a release date. If it is October I could hold out for that. But if its after the holidays I will jump on the bionic or S2.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    Is the SGSII going to have 4G or is it all speculation at this point? I don't have much interest in the SGSII if it lacks LTE.

The Prime would be nice, but I don't know how much longer I can wait. If the Bionic releases in August then I will surely get that. If it releases in September then I can possibly wait for the Prime.
    07-26-2011 12:58 PM
    I need some Sprint confirmation
    Yes. The Nexus Prime is launching on all carriers at the same time.
    07-26-2011 01:33 PM
    Im thinking the GS2 may not have LTE if the Nexus Prime hits in October since they are both made by Samsung.
    07-26-2011 01:36 PM
    Any solid word if Nexus Prime will be 4G? I have been following bionic soo closely I haven't seen anything on this phone yet except for phils post (playing catchup). If bionic drags its heels any longer and this thing drops in October then I guess I would have wasted the last 6+ months for nothing waiting for bionic LOL. Heck we still don't know when Bionic is dropping outside of speculation.
    07-26-2011 01:49 PM
    Any solid word if Nexus Prime will be 4G? I have been following bionic soo closely I haven't seen anything on this phone yet except for phils post (playing catchup). If bionic drags its heels any longer and this thing drops in October then I guess I would have wasted the last 6+ months for nothing waiting for bionic LOL. Heck we still don't know when Bionic is dropping outside of speculation.
    I would hope so. Otherwise what would be the point in such a beastly phone if it still ran on 3G?
    07-26-2011 01:52 PM
    I would hope so. Otherwise what would be the point in such a beastly phone if it still ran on 3G?
    well SGSII not being 4G last I heard had me wondering is all if this powerhouse would be following suit. My only concern with waiting out the NP is I heard from someone in the Bionic threads that NE2 is lost if not used past Sept. Yeah I am only getting $30 but every bit helps.
    07-26-2011 02:01 PM
    So far rumors are pointing to an October release, correct?
    07-26-2011 02:01 PM
    So far rumors are pointing to an October release, correct?
    That;s the current rumor, yes.
    07-26-2011 02:15 PM
    Sorry OG, looks like you're stuck with me for a little bit longer.
    bplewis24 and DJBigBenVA like this.
    07-26-2011 02:46 PM
    So, is it basically confirmed that the Nexus Prime will be one device on many carriers? Rather than each carrier getting a different device?
    07-26-2011 02:56 PM
3,049 12345 ...