08-03-2011 08:20 AM
102 1234 ...
tools
    It won't have LTE. Stop saying it will.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    07-31-2011 12:41 AM
    Neo the chip is ready for sampling Q3 andfrom my understanding that means they use it in 1 or 2 handsets before it rolls into mass production and makes it into other handsets. I'm out of my league on this aspect so I'd rather defer to those in the know. I only have a remedial understanding of this whole thing.

Sent from my Droid
    Sampling in Q3 but won't show up in any handsets until early 2012=not going in a Verizon Galaxy SII variant. If the chip hasn't even sampled yet that means Samsung hasn't even gotten to touch it. (and Verizon hasn't approved it for use on their network)
    07-31-2011 03:00 AM
    negative, only info I recieved is that it's LTE.
    Does the LTE chip that powers it come out of a Unicorn's behind as well? Because in case you've missed it, 2nd generation LTE chips haven't been approved yet, and the first generation is still too big to fit in a Galaxy SII without a redesign. (and don't try and bring WiMax into this, because those radios are well beyond anything LTE can muster at this point)
    07-31-2011 03:01 AM
    During my recent trips to Korea, I'd seen my friend's SK Telecom Galaxy S II, which was truly awesome, and I have been patiently waiting for this device for Verizon.

Though not exactly Samsung Electronics, I do have a family background with Samsung and know quite some insiders at Electronics even without going through my father's connections. I have been begging to an insider in mobile division to update me on the launch status for VZW specifically and s/he finally got back to me today telling me below:

1. As announced, the plan is to release in mid-August, but VZW is STILL giving Samsung some hard time (s/he didn't specify what it was) and Samsung may have to push the release date to late August or early September. This may only apply for VZW variant, meaning that ATT or Sprint would possibly launch ahead of VZW.

2. LTE unlikely. S/he saying unlikely would probably mean NO, since development must have been done by now and chance is very slim that Samsung will change the phone's specification a month prior to release.

3. S/he will update me further once s/he gets more information.

I regret I cannot provide more hopeful information but it is what it is and we will just have to cross fingers to get it earlier than September. Verizon seriously sucks.

LTE would be good, but I don't really care. I live in NYC and technology-unfriendly NYC subways will not have cell phone reception at least for next five years or so, hence I cannot use internet during my commute anyways.

Take my word as a grain of salt, but the person who told me is very associated with GS2 development.
    I also live in NYC, yes I agree that the subway system is "unfriendly" to cell tech but that can't be the only time you really use the net on your phone. plus it depends on what train line you take also some stations already equipped to handle cell coverage. plus my dad works for the MTA he said it's going to be a loooooong time before you are able to use your phone throughout the entire subway system.
    07-31-2011 05:27 AM
    Does the LTE chip that powers it come out of a Unicorn's behind as well? Because in case you've missed it, 2nd generation LTE chips haven't been approved yet, and the first generation is still too big to fit in a Galaxy SII without a redesign. (and don't try and bring WiMax into this, because those radios are well beyond anything LTE can muster at this point)
    Point is the handset is going to be redesigned. They made the sprint version taller and wider. Looks different all around. Everyone knows the carriers all change their versions.
    Friend-O likes this.
    07-31-2011 05:37 AM
    Just because they can make it fit doesn't mean they will. Given the existence of the Droid Charge it makes a whole lot more sense to make a 3G GSII now to get it out in as small a form factor as possible and then release a 4G Ice Cream Sandwich powered variant in Q1 that can basically replace the Charge in the Droid line.
    07-31-2011 07:03 AM
    Scroll up Dolfan. Its speculation based on the info I posted above. Neo brings some interesting observations to the table as well.

Sent from my Droid
    My bad. Those posts didn't show up until after I had posted (using mobile version). Carry on ...
    07-31-2011 07:11 AM
    Point is the handset is going to be redesigned. They made the sprint version taller and wider. Looks different all around. Everyone knows the carriers all change their versions.
    The sprint version was only changed a little not a complete redesign like you are saying. It doesn't look that much different from the international version.
    07-31-2011 07:22 AM
    If you noticed he never said that this chip would be in the SGSII. He said he had no knowledge of that. All he said was that his source told him that it would have LTE. Realistically all anyone is doing is speculation so I don't see how the speculation for it being LTE equipped is any less valid then your speculation that it will not. Neither one has solid ground to stand on at the moment.

Also, we already know that Samsung did a redesign of the phone to fit in WIMAX. No one is saying that the WIMAX chip is the same size as the LTE chip, but they are more similar in size then you would think. All people are saying is that since Samsung did a redesign of the phone to fit WIMAX I see no reason why they couldn't do it for Verizon. It makes sense considering how much time they have had since the phone was originally released.
    OrdieSep88 and Friend-O like this.
    07-31-2011 10:02 AM
    The sprint version was only changed a little not a complete redesign like you are saying. It doesn't look that much different from the international version.
    True, but a complete redesign is not required to make an LTE radio fit. Only a slight size change like what happened with sprint. I definitely see it as very plausible. I don't see why Verizon would not push for it. They are in the business of making money and they would make the most money through a 4G SGSII.
    Friend-O likes this.
    07-31-2011 10:05 AM
    I also live in NYC, yes I agree that the subway system is "unfriendly" to cell tech but that can't be the only time you really use the net on your phone. plus it depends on what train line you take also some stations already equipped to handle cell coverage. plus my dad works for the MTA he said it's going to be a loooooong time before you are able to use your phone throughout the entire subway system.
    Also in NYC and i have to say I'm glad there's no reception on the subway. The last thing I want is to hear more people blathering on out loud about ther personal issues as if no one else is there. Super annoying when that happens on metro north or other above ground commuter rails.
    07-31-2011 11:31 AM
    If you noticed he never said that this chip would be in the SGSII. He said he had no knowledge of that. All he said was that his source told him that it would have LTE. Realistically all anyone is doing is speculation so I don't see how the speculation for it being LTE equipped is any less valid then your speculation that it will not. Neither one has solid ground to stand on at the moment.

Also, we already know that Samsung did a redesign of the phone to fit in WIMAX. No one is saying that the WIMAX chip is the same size as the LTE chip, but they are more similar in size then you would think. All people are saying is that since Samsung did a redesign of the phone to fit WIMAX I see no reason why they couldn't do it for Verizon. It makes sense considering how much time they have had since the phone was originally released.
    Quoted for truth.....

Odd how people get "upset" at the possibility and rumors of an LTE capable GS2 on Verizon's network. What's that about? As mastergiraffe so eloquently said NOBODY truly knows or has the answer we are all speculating at this point and both arguments are just as valid as the next. It is NOT out of the realm of possibility of being LTE capable no matter how hard one stomps their feet. We do know the form factor is being changed up slightly on the other carriers unit and beyond that we know nothing.

If people don't think it will have it that's one thing but to post it as fact is irresponsible. There is a freezer full of Crow for those that like to throw out the facts and there will be a huge BBQ for them if the rumor/sources turn out correct

Sent from my Droid
    MasterGiraffe likes this.
    07-31-2011 11:41 AM
    A complete redesign is not required and I think that's what you are not understanding. The GS2 doesn't have to go from where it is now to the size of the Droid 2. We are talking a slight change but a change nonetheless.

Sent from my Droid
    07-31-2011 11:47 AM
    A complete redesign is not required and I think that's what you are not understanding. The GS2 doesn't have to go from where it is now to the size of the Droid 2. We are talking a slight change but a change nonetheless.

Sent from my Droid
    Wouldn't it be closer to the size of the Droid Charge than the S2? That's the only LTE phone Samsung has made so far.
    07-31-2011 02:39 PM
    True, but a complete redesign is not required to make an LTE radio fit. Only a slight size change like what happened with sprint. I definitely see it as very plausible. I don't see why Verizon would not push for it. They are in the business of making money and they would make the most money through a 4G SGSII.
    I agree but what I was saying is that an earlier post said a complete redesign would be needed. All I was saying is that it wouldn't need that much to be changed for LTE radio.
    07-31-2011 03:07 PM

Sent from my Droid
    I wasnt the one who said it would need a complete redesign I was just replying to the person who said it would lol. I am agreeing with you IT WONT NEED A COMPLETE REDESIGN.
    07-31-2011 03:08 PM
    Wouldn't it be closer to the size of the Droid Charge than the S2? That's the only LTE phone Samsung has made so far.
    Yes sir that would be my guess as well. No thicker than the Charge.

Sent from my Droid
    07-31-2011 03:53 PM
    I wasnt the one who said it would need a complete redesign I was just replying to the person who said it would lol. I am agreeing with you IT WONT NEED A COMPLETE REDESIGN.
    Lol you're right. I misread your post. I agree with your post good point as well.

Sent from my Droid
    07-31-2011 03:55 PM
    The words complete redesign is not what I posted. I said different all around. This means size, camera, locations of things, and likely the home button. Don't put words in my mouth.
    07-31-2011 03:58 PM
    Yes sir that would be my guess as well. No thicker than the Charge.

Sent from my Droid
    When you think about it, it could be thinner. The Charge was being developed for a CES announcement. This leads me to believe a LTE GSII could be thinner than the Charge.
    07-31-2011 04:39 PM
    When you think about it, it could be thinner. The Charge was being developed for a CES announcement. This leads me to believe a LTE GSII could be thinner than the Charge.
    I absolutely agree......

Sent from my Droid
    07-31-2011 04:57 PM
    I just want this phone to come out already 4g on verizon so I can stop looking for new everyday, at least until the Nexus Prime gets closer.
    07-31-2011 05:12 PM
    The words complete redesign is not what I posted. I said different all around. This means size, camera, locations of things, and likely the home button. Don't put words in my mouth.
    Oh my bad different all around. Same as complete redesign but if you want to say different all around then by all means say it that way.
    07-31-2011 06:06 PM
    Odd how people get "upset" at the possibility and rumors of an LTE capable GS2 on Verizon's network. What's that about?
    It's about the Bionic fanboys who are terrified of the possibility that their beloved phone, which they've been waiting on seemingly forever, may be deemed inferior to the GS2 almost immediately.

C'mon, buddy...it's not a stretch to say that "different all around" could easily be interpreted as "complete redesign". Nobody is trying to put words in your mouth. You just weren't very clear on exactly what you meant in your initial post.
    07-31-2011 06:15 PM
    It's about the Bionic fanboys who are terrified of the possibility that their beloved phone, which they've been waiting on seemingly forever, may be deemed inferior to the GS2 almost immediately.

C'mon, buddy...it's not a stretch to say that "different all around" could easily be interpreted as "complete redesign". Nobody is trying to put words in your mouth. You just weren't very clear on exactly what you meant in your initial post.
    Thank you I didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth that is just how it read to make it seem like that. And I agree I can see some very angry bionic fanboys when the gs2 comes out with lte and its unlocked bootloader and better screen I can only imagine what will happen. Then again they will be in denial like all the iphone fanboys lol.
    Friend-O likes this.
    07-31-2011 06:33 PM
102 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD