08-03-2011 08:20 AM
102 ... 2345
tools
    I'll say it again...I highly doubt Verizon would want to be left out of the "4G" marketing wars with the GSII. It's going to be "4G" on every other carrier, so why wouldn't Verizon want theirs to be 4G?
    I know there are those arguing both sides. But for me, I don't think it's an issue of why wouldn't Verizon want it to be 4G, I think they would prefer it. I think it's more of a question of can it be considering issues such as release timeframe, potential form factor changes, etc.
    08-01-2011 10:25 AM
    I know there are those arguing both sides. But for me, I don't think it's an issue of why wouldn't Verizon want it to be 4G, I think they would prefer it. I think it's more of a question of can it be considering issues such as release timeframe, potential form factor changes, etc.
    Yeah, but I am willing to bet Verizon asked Samsung to do what they could to get a LTE radio in there, like the Charge. I'm hoping they can make it thinner.

Either way, I am sure we'll find out either this week or next week with some type of announcement from Samsung for each carrier.
    08-01-2011 11:06 AM
    Keep in mind this was already decided months and months ago so if the decision was made they have had plenty of time to work on the handset and make the neccesary changes.

Sent from my Droid
    08-01-2011 11:16 AM
    I'll say it again...I highly doubt Verizon would want to be left out of the "4G" marketing wars with the GSII. It's going to be "4G" on every other carrier, so why wouldn't Verizon want theirs to be 4G?
    Because they want to shoot themselves in the foot

Sent from my Droid
    08-01-2011 11:20 AM
    Keep in mind this was already decided months and months ago so if the decision was made they have had plenty of time to work on the handset and make the neccesary changes.

Sent from my Droid
    Unless you're Motorola.

You're right though. These decisions have to happen long before release time. But, they also have to consider the release schedule of other devices as well. That could be a determining factor in that I'm sure Verizon was not expecting the current fiasco with the Bionic, which IMO has an impact on the schedule of all of the devices.
    08-01-2011 12:08 PM
    Unless you're Motorola.

You're right though. These decisions have to happen long before release time. But, they also have to consider the release schedule of other devices as well. That could be a determining factor in that I'm sure Verizon was not expecting the current fiasco with the Bionic, which IMO has an impact on the schedule of all of the devices.
    I do agree with you on the other launch of phones in September I will probably make my decision when everything should be out by then( Bionic,GSII, and iPhone 5) I think that is somewhat the reason of these september launches because that's when the iPhone 5 comes out these manufactures want there superphones to compete with the iPhone but September will probably be when I make my decision and I'm trying to wait for HTC vigor but that seems a little bit aways.
    08-01-2011 02:09 PM
    I like how the phone we are all waiting for (minus the LTE) is being sold in Canada for $20 on contract right now

sighhhhhhhh
    08-01-2011 02:48 PM
    I like how the phone we are all waiting for (minus the LTE) is being sold in Canada for $20 on contract right now

sighhhhhhhh
    I just saw that. Granted, it requires a 3 year contract, but it's still frustrating.
    08-01-2011 03:04 PM
    I just saw that. Granted, it requires a 3 year contract, but it's still frustrating.
    Which means nothing. One comment said they get to upgrade after a year even with a 3 yr contract. We can't downplay this...we're getting straight screwed
    08-01-2011 03:34 PM
    I hope the phone is redesigned for LTE and the standard buttons, but for me anyway, the lack of a notification LED and only 480-WVGA screen may still keep me away. qHD is the present and in a few months of ICS, 720p will be the new standard. We'll see, keeping all options open...
    bplewis24 likes this.
    08-01-2011 03:42 PM
    I don't think it matters. People with iPhones won't even be concerned with 4G until there's an iPhone that has it. I don't think Samsung is worried very much about Apple. There's plenty of business they can take from HTC and Motorola.
    Hadn't you heard? The iPhone already has 4G ... according to about 1/3 of iPhone owners anyways.
    MasterGiraffe likes this.
    08-01-2011 03:48 PM
    I hope the phone is redesigned for LTE and the standard buttons, but for me anyway, the lack of a notification LED and only 480-WVGA screen may still keep me away. qHD is the present and in a few months of ICS, 720p will be the new standard. We'll see, keeping all options open...
    The lack of the notification LED bothered me at first, until I found out about the noled app, which will use a small portion of the screen (which on the SGS2 is just a whole bunch of little LED's) to act as a notifier. It ends up being more configurable as well, from what I understand.

As for the screen, it's a little bit of a toss up. yes, the resolution is not as good, but the contrast and color richness are way better. Also, the power usage for the display on the SGS2 generally ends up being less, especially if you use a dark theme. I do admit I wish the resolution were better, though. Still, all the reviews I've read tend to say you don't notice it because of how nice it looks. <shrug>
    08-01-2011 03:52 PM
    Hadn't you heard? The iPhone already has 4G ... according to about 1/3 of iPhone owners anyways.
    Hahaha I can't even count how many times I have had this discussion with people who own iPhones:

Me: "I really hope that the SGSII has LTE when it comes out."

Friend: "Psh my iPhone already has 4G, why don't you just get that?"

Me: "...No it doesn't..."

Friend: "Wow your dumb its the iPhone 4G, of course it has 4G"

Me: *facepalm*
    rosser likes this.
    08-01-2011 03:57 PM
    Yeah, I was thinking about that when I posted. I was too lazy to find the source. Apple's brand is overwhelming. That 1/3rd just assume they have the best phone available because it's from Apple. If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone.
    08-01-2011 03:59 PM
    The lack of the notification LED bothered me at first, until I found out about the noled app, which will use a small portion of the screen (which on the SGS2 is just a whole bunch of little LED's) to act as a notifier. It ends up being more configurable as well, from what I understand.
    While this is a great band-aid type fix that I know people with a fascinate use, the problem is it's a huge battery waster (even on the GSII according to reviews) as it has to power the screen and certainly not better than a real one. I've never understood Samsung's (or even Apple's really) position on this.

As for the screen, it's a little bit of a toss up. yes, the resolution is not as good, but the contrast and color richness are way better. Also, the power usage for the display on the SGS2 generally ends up being less, especially if you use a dark theme. I do admit I wish the resolution were better, though. Still, all the reviews I've read tend to say you don't notice it because of how nice it looks. <shrug>
    I agree the quality of the screen certainly makes up for it...for now. In 4 months when apps and such are written to take advantage of the real estate (especially in ICS) we may not feel the same.
    bplewis24 likes this.
    08-01-2011 04:00 PM
    I would love for Samsung to put on a notification light. One of the best things about my current and prior phones.
    bplewis24 likes this.
    08-01-2011 04:09 PM
    Sort of off topic but not since we have been discussing the impact the iPhone launch will have on VZW and the potential Galaxy launch. It looks like October may be the more likely date.

http://allthingsd.com/20110801/new-i...not-september/
    08-01-2011 07:45 PM
    I was actually considering the iPhone 5 if the larger screen thing was true and it was more than a spec bump, but I'm not waiting past August/early September for my next phone. It'd be nice to have everything sync as nicely as it does with my touch, but I think I want more freedom with my phone. As an engineer, I'm a tweaker!

Despite my better advice my mom got an iPhone 4 just now
    08-01-2011 10:13 PM
    So to end all specualtion on the LTE chip Samsung is using it's probably safe to say Sammy is going to use the chip in the Charge (VIA) or their own.

So again we are looking at the same thickness as the Charge or possibly a thinner handset using their own baseband chip if the device ships LTE capable. Article below states:

"Samsung has chosen Via Telecom’s CDMA chipsets for the Droid Charge handset it is offering in the US via Verizon Wireless. Samsung is also using its own baseband chip for the LTE."

Source: GTB
    08-01-2011 11:45 PM
    So to end all specualtion on the LTE chip Samsung is using it's probably safe to say Sammy is going to use the chip in the Charge (VIA) or their own.

So again we are looking at the same thickness as the Charge or possibly a thinner handset using their own baseband chip if the device ships LTE capable. Article below states:

"Samsung has chosen Via Telecoms CDMA chipsets for the Droid Charge handset it is offering in the US via Verizon Wireless. Samsung is also using its own baseband chip for the LTE."

I think the charge is a good size to me I don't think it is that thick at all and I am willing to make some sacrifices in order for them to get an lte chip in if they have to make it a little thicker than the international version. I think people are too worried about how thin it is and then complain "Why didn't they put lte in it, they could have made it a little thicker" after it is released.
    08-02-2011 11:31 AM
    Put in the damn LTE chip in there and make it a little thicker. An extra mm or so is not going to kill you.
    08-02-2011 12:13 PM

"Samsung has chosen Via Telecoms CDMA chipsets for the Droid Charge handset it is offering in the US via Verizon Wireless. Samsung is also using its own baseband chip for the LTE."

The FCC did approve a second LTE chip by Samsung in June, but it appeared to be for AT&T's LTE network...That said, I'm not sure if it was any different than the one they use for VZW.
    08-02-2011 05:59 PM
    The FCC did approve a second LTE chip by Samsung in June, but it appeared to be for AT&T's LTE network...That said, I'm not sure if it was any different than the one they use for VZW.
    I think the only difference between the two is they operate on a different spectrum. I see no reason why they couldn't change the frequency spectrum the chip uses and plop it in. Idunno though I could just be very ignorant to such things.
    08-02-2011 10:50 PM
    explain ALL the compromises that Samsung will have to make and how that translates into the Galaxy S 2 being just a simply good handset vs a great one

Sent from my Droid
    -Battery life
    -Cost
    -Dimensions
    08-03-2011 12:53 AM
    That would be only if their sticking with their original LTE chip. We don't know what radio we will end up with.
    It doesn't matter. All of the LTE chips are the same size right now, because they're all in their first revision.
    08-03-2011 12:55 AM
102 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD