Insider update

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Go take a look at the PCB for the Charge. The LTE chip takes up more space than the Hummingbird and CDMA chip COMBINED. While I don't doubt that Samsung has the capability to redesign it to accomodate the LTE chip, the question is whether they would WANT to do it, since it would require a lot of compromises that would make the Verizon Galaxy SII a simply 'good' handset instead of an amazing one.

I don't see them making those compromises. Instead, I see them choosing to wait until the second generation LTE chips are available.

I understand that the chipset is big and the PCB has to span the length of the phone making it thicker and larger. The place that I differ from you is I think that adding LTE makes it an amazing handset. The main sacrifice they would have to make is the size of the phone. They would definitely had to make the phone thicker etc. Yes it does drain battery life, but its not like I am going to sit there with 4G on all day. I always found that to be one of the lesser problems with 4G at the moment because you can turn it on and off as you please.

When I hear all of the news about how Verizon is being more difficult in terms of negotiations with the SGSII this is exactly what I think about. It just makes sense to me that Verizon asked Samsung to do it and Sammy was a bit resistant. Verizon threw their weight around a bit and said no we want you to put LTE in it and that is what is taking them so long. I don't really think that Samsung wants to do all of the work to redesign the phone, but I do think that Verizon is making them.

Last edited:

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I understand that the chipset is big and the PCB has to span the length of the phone making it thicker and larger. The place that I differ from you is I think that adding LTE makes it a amazing handset. The main sacrifice they would have to make is the size of the phone. They would definitely had to make the phone thicker etc. Yes it does drain battery life, but its not like I am going to sit there with 4G on all day. I always found that to be one of the lesser problems with 4G at the moment because you can turn it on and off as you please.

When I hear all of the news about how Verizon is being more difficult in terms of negotiations with the SGSII this is exactly what I think about. It just makes sense to me that Verizon asked Samsung to do it and Sammy was a bit resistant. Verizon threw their weight around a bit and said no we want you to put LTE in it and that is what is taking them so long. I don't really think that Samsung wants to do all of the work to redesign the phone, but I do think that Verizon is making them.

Here is what I see happening. The new iPhone won't be LTE either because of what your talking about, unless they redesigned the LTE chip already. Samsung is competing directly with Apple, so if the new iPhone isn't LTE why would they need the SGSII to be LTE. Although it would make it even more appealing of a phone IMHO (not that it isnt already amazing!) But hey thats just my 2 cents.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
well they made the sprint version longer and thicker for wimax which is very similar in size to the lte chip. Not saying they will do this for verizon version

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want LTE, you're going to have to deal with a device at least as thick as the Charge.

Fine by me. The Charge is plenty thin in my eyes.

While I don't doubt that Samsung has the capability to redesign it to accomodate the LTE chip, the question is whether they would WANT to do it, since it would require a lot of compromises that would make the Verizon Galaxy SII a simply 'good' handset instead of an amazing one.

Can you please detail the "compromises" (aside from thickness) that would make the GS2 only "good" instead of "amazing" if it were to have LTE?

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Friend-O there, adding a bit of bulk will hardly make it any less amazing. If the phone came out in Thunderbolt thickness, it'd still be the same amazing phone people rave out without the "it's thinner than an iPhone" bit. I don't know about you, but I can live with that. I tried out a Charge and Thunderbolt and neither of them seemed too thick, though that's probably since I'm on a BB right now.

CanUFeelIt

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I see happening. The new iPhone won't be LTE either because of what your talking about, unless they redesigned the LTE chip already. Samsung is competing directly with Apple, so if the new iPhone isn't LTE why would they need the SGSII to be LTE. Although it would make it even more appealing of a phone IMHO (not that it isnt already amazing!) But hey thats just my 2 cents.

Yeah you already kind of answered it. If the GS2 is on par with its international counterpart, it's already a good competitor for the iPhone5. Throw LTE in and those non-hardcore iPhone fanboys in 4G areas will probably consider switching to the right side!

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
They would have to completely redesign the PCB, just like they're having to do for WiMax. (and the WiMax chip is a lot smaller than any available LTE chip)

If you want LTE, you're going to have to deal with a device at least as thick as the Charge.

That would be only if their sticking with their original LTE chip. We don't know what radio we will end up with.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, but what you have to take into account is the cult following that the iPhone has. If the iPhone and the SGSII were on par and 100% identical in terms of tech specs the iPhone would outsell the SGSII in massive numbers. People will buy the iPhone for the sole reason that it is the next generation iPhone. I have a lot of friends who don't even shop around to see what other phones are like.

It's the sad truth, but the only way for the SGSII to actually compete with the iPhone is to be better in a lot of selling points. If they end up with similar specs in terms of processor speed, ram etc., but the SGSII has LTE I think it might have a fighting chance to get people to think twice. Without LTE it has no chance IMHO.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
It's the sad truth, but the only way for the SGSII to actually compete with the iPhone is to be better in a lot of selling points. If they end up with similar specs in terms of processor speed, ram etc., but the SGSII has LTE I think it might have a fighting chance to get people to think twice. Without LTE it has no chance IMHO.

I don't think it matters. People with iPhones won't even be concerned with 4G until there's an iPhone that has it. I don't think Samsung is worried very much about Apple. There's plenty of business they can take from HTC and Motorola.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it matters. People with iPhones won't even be concerned with 4G until there's an iPhone that has it. I don't think Samsung is worried very much about Apple. There's plenty of business they can take from HTC and Motorola.

That's almost like saying "X amount is enough profit. I know we can make more, but that'll be good". I doubt they think that way. If they can compete with Apple and put out a superior product (which IMO they do), I have to think that they'd want to do that. Problem is Verizon has a say in it too.

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
My thing is the GSII was originally made with hspa+ which is somewhat 4G but if they take that out and just leave the 3G they would have to make it somewhat thinner or a little different and I don't think they will just leave it with 3G and I do expect them to put LTE in it but I'm still on the fence because I'm not sure if that will happen

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
since it would require a lot of compromises that would make the Verizon Galaxy SII a simply 'good' handset instead of an amazing one.
explain ALL the compromises that Samsung will have to make and how that translates into the Galaxy S 2 being just a simply good handset vs a great one

Sent from my Droid

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'll say it again...I highly doubt Verizon would want to be left out of the "4G" marketing wars with the GSII. It's going to be "4G" on every other carrier, so why wouldn't Verizon want theirs to be 4G?

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
My thing is the GSII was originally made with hspa+ which is somewhat 4G but if they take that out and just leave the 3G they would have to make it somewhat thinner or a little different and I don't think they will just leave it with 3G and I do expect them to put LTE in it but I'm still on the fence because I'm not sure if that will happen

Yeah, it would be strange for them to take things out and either leave the empty space or make the phone smaller. It seems that if they are going to have to change the design they might as well change it for the better. The biggest problem that I have is Verizon's network. On any other network the lack of what they arguably call 4G wouldn't be as big of a problem. With Verizon though, they kind of skipped over the 3G technology in order to get to 4G faster. If the SGSII doesn't have 4G then it will be a pain because Verizon's 3G network is definitely one of the slowest out of all the 3G networks (especially in my area).

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'll say it again...I highly doubt Verizon would want to be left out of the "4G" marketing wars with the GSII. It's going to be "4G" on every other carrier, so why wouldn't Verizon want theirs to be 4G?

I know there are those arguing both sides. But for me, I don't think it's an issue of why wouldn't Verizon want it to be 4G, I think they would prefer it. I think it's more of a question of can it be considering issues such as release timeframe, potential form factor changes, etc.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I know there are those arguing both sides. But for me, I don't think it's an issue of why wouldn't Verizon want it to be 4G, I think they would prefer it. I think it's more of a question of can it be considering issues such as release timeframe, potential form factor changes, etc.
Yeah, but I am willing to bet Verizon asked Samsung to do what they could to get a LTE radio in there, like the Charge. I'm hoping they can make it thinner.

Either way, I am sure we'll find out either this week or next week with some type of announcement from Samsung for each carrier.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Keep in mind this was already decided months and months ago so if the decision was made they have had plenty of time to work on the handset and make the neccesary changes.

Sent from my Droid

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Because they want to shoot themselves in the foot :)

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind this was already decided months and months ago so if the decision was made they have had plenty of time to work on the handset and make the neccesary changes.

Sent from my Droid

Unless you're Motorola. :)

You're right though. These decisions have to happen long before release time. But, they also have to consider the release schedule of other devices as well. That could be a determining factor in that I'm sure Verizon was not expecting the current fiasco with the Bionic, which IMO has an impact on the schedule of all of the devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678