Insider update

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Unless you're Motorola. :)

You're right though. These decisions have to happen long before release time. But, they also have to consider the release schedule of other devices as well. That could be a determining factor in that I'm sure Verizon was not expecting the current fiasco with the Bionic, which IMO has an impact on the schedule of all of the devices.

I do agree with you on the other launch of phones in September I will probably make my decision when everything should be out by then( Bionic,GSII, and iPhone 5) I think that is somewhat the reason of these september launches because that's when the iPhone 5 comes out these manufactures want there superphones to compete with the iPhone but September will probably be when I make my decision and I'm trying to wait for HTC vigor but that seems a little bit aways.

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I hope the phone is redesigned for LTE and the standard buttons, but for me anyway, the lack of a notification LED and only 480-WVGA screen may still keep me away. qHD is the present and in a few months of ICS, 720p will be the new standard. We'll see, keeping all options open...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it matters. People with iPhones won't even be concerned with 4G until there's an iPhone that has it. I don't think Samsung is worried very much about Apple. There's plenty of business they can take from HTC and Motorola.

Hadn't you heard? The iPhone already has 4G ... according to about 1/3 of iPhone owners anyways. :p

masaokun

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I hope the phone is redesigned for LTE and the standard buttons, but for me anyway, the lack of a notification LED and only 480-WVGA screen may still keep me away. qHD is the present and in a few months of ICS, 720p will be the new standard. We'll see, keeping all options open...

The lack of the notification LED bothered me at first, until I found out about the noled app, which will use a small portion of the screen (which on the SGS2 is just a whole bunch of little LED's) to act as a notifier. It ends up being more configurable as well, from what I understand.

As for the screen, it's a little bit of a toss up. yes, the resolution is not as good, but the contrast and color richness are way better. Also, the power usage for the display on the SGS2 generally ends up being less, especially if you use a dark theme. I do admit I wish the resolution were better, though. Still, all the reviews I've read tend to say you don't notice it because of how nice it looks. <shrug>

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hadn't you heard? The iPhone already has 4G ... according to about 1/3 of iPhone owners anyways. :p

Hahaha I can't even count how many times I have had this discussion with people who own iPhones:

Me: "I really hope that the SGSII has LTE when it comes out."

Friend: "Psh my iPhone already has 4G, why don't you just get that?"

Me: "...No it doesn't..."

Friend: "Wow your dumb its the iPhone 4G, of course it has 4G"

Me: *facepalm*

Reactions: rosser

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I was thinking about that when I posted. I was too lazy to find the source. Apple's brand is overwhelming. That 1/3rd just assume they have the best phone available because it's from Apple. If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone.

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The lack of the notification LED bothered me at first, until I found out about the noled app, which will use a small portion of the screen (which on the SGS2 is just a whole bunch of little LED's) to act as a notifier. It ends up being more configurable as well, from what I understand.

While this is a great band-aid type fix that I know people with a fascinate use, the problem is it's a huge battery waster (even on the GSII according to reviews) as it has to power the screen and certainly not better than a real one. I've never understood Samsung's (or even Apple's really) position on this.

As for the screen, it's a little bit of a toss up. yes, the resolution is not as good, but the contrast and color richness are way better. Also, the power usage for the display on the SGS2 generally ends up being less, especially if you use a dark theme. I do admit I wish the resolution were better, though. Still, all the reviews I've read tend to say you don't notice it because of how nice it looks. <shrug>

I agree the quality of the screen certainly makes up for it...for now. In 4 months when apps and such are written to take advantage of the real estate (especially in ICS) we may not feel the same.

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I was actually considering the iPhone 5 if the larger screen thing was true and it was more than a spec bump, but I'm not waiting past August/early September for my next phone. It'd be nice to have everything sync as nicely as it does with my touch, but I think I want more freedom with my phone. As an engineer, I'm a tweaker!

Despite my better advice my mom got an iPhone 4 just now :confused:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
So to end all specualtion on the LTE chip Samsung is using it's probably safe to say Sammy is going to use the chip in the Charge (VIA) or their own.

So again we are looking at the same thickness as the Charge or possibly a thinner handset using their own baseband chip if the device ships LTE capable. Article below states:

"Samsung has chosen Via Telecom’s CDMA chipsets for the Droid Charge handset it is offering in the US via Verizon Wireless. Samsung is also using its own baseband chip for the LTE."

Source: GTB

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So to end all specualtion on the LTE chip Samsung is using it's probably safe to say Sammy is going to use the chip in the Charge (VIA) or their own.

So again we are looking at the same thickness as the Charge or possibly a thinner handset using their own baseband chip if the device ships LTE capable. Article below states:

"Samsung has chosen Via Telecom?s CDMA chipsets for the Droid Charge handset it is offering in the US via Verizon Wireless. Samsung is also using its own baseband chip for the LTE."

I think the charge is a good size to me I don't think it is that thick at all and I am willing to make some sacrifices in order for them to get an lte chip in if they have to make it a little thicker than the international version. I think people are too worried about how thin it is and then complain "Why didn't they put lte in it, they could have made it a little thicker" after it is released.

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

"Samsung has chosen Via Telecom?s CDMA chipsets for the Droid Charge handset it is offering in the US via Verizon Wireless. Samsung is also using its own baseband chip for the LTE."

The FCC did approve a second LTE chip by Samsung in June, but it appeared to be for AT&T's LTE network...That said, I'm not sure if it was any different than the one they use for VZW.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The FCC did approve a second LTE chip by Samsung in June, but it appeared to be for AT&T's LTE network...That said, I'm not sure if it was any different than the one they use for VZW.

I think the only difference between the two is they operate on a different spectrum. I see no reason why they couldn't change the frequency spectrum the chip uses and plop it in. Idunno though I could just be very ignorant to such things.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech