08-05-2011 10:56 PM
97 1234
tools
    I feel like this is kinda a case of pulling information together that doesn't necessarily belong together. I do like the name and I think the name Function is kinda old news now and might be outdated, but I don't see as much of a connection between the balloon launch and the telescope. In my opinion I would use a telescope to look at the stars and the galaxy and not the stratosphere. It would be a bit hard to look at the stratosphere, given what it is made out of, with a telescope and much easier to look through the stratosphere at the galaxy.

To me it makes a bit more sense for this to be something like the "cheaper" version of the SGSII that people have been talking about. It is possible that they plan to bring that device to the U.S. also to give Samsung a competitive edge in the lower price range. The name would make sense also considering the stratosphere is kind of a "lower" version of the galaxy.

All pure speculation of course
    I'm just throwing ideas out there and so far it is the only thing that makes any sense whatsoever regarding the sending of telescopes. I think you are getting too scientific about a riddle. Who knows.
    08-02-2011 11:14 AM
    I know just who to call.
    08-02-2011 11:21 AM
    Maybe it is the slider that was leaked awhile back?
    08-02-2011 11:28 AM
    This was just dropped on Droid-life. It sounds like the phone is confirmed and coming to Verizon shortly. It is also confirmed that it will be 4G. Please god let it be the SGSII and not the slider.
    08-02-2011 02:34 PM
    Will you buy it even if it's the leaked slider? Thoughts? I personally would so long as it has dual cores.
    08-02-2011 02:40 PM
    Will you buy it even if it's the leaked slider? Thoughts? I personally would so long as it has dual cores.
    Yes, If it were a samsung slider with 4g and S2 internals, I would buy it.
    08-02-2011 02:45 PM
    I would most definitely buy it if it had dual cores, 4g, 4" superamoled+, 1600mah battery, 1gb ram, unlocked bootloader, 8mp rear camera, and cooked me dinner
    ExpertZero likes this.
    08-02-2011 02:50 PM
    I'm going to go against everything I believe in and predict its the GS2. Sammy has aleady begun to send out the telescopes with the Galaxy S 2 labeling on the package and now this shows up. Yes I hear all the things that say no way it wont. I really do. All VERY logical arguements. Heck I would make the same arguement. But why the campaign? Why the rumors of vzw getting it first, and why the CEO announcing it would release in the US this month? These are all rhetorical questions but the fact remains this latest bit of info aligns with the rumors and known info. Its VERY possible Verizon's GS2 version just may be a slider or perhaps its not and this release just snuck in under everyone's radar. If true this would be a first for an Android device.

So again, I'm going against everything I believe in and am going with this is the GS2 be it the slider version or a regular candy bar.

Sent from my Droid
    Stang68 and rookie84 like this.
    08-02-2011 03:09 PM
    I'm going to go against everything I believe in and predict its the GS2. Sammy has aleady begun to send out the telescopes with the Galaxy S 2 labeling on the package and now this shows up. Yes I hear all the things that say no way it wont. I really do. All VERY logical arguements. Heck I would make the same arguement. But why the campaign? Why the rumors of vzw getting it first, and why the CEO announcing it would release in the US this month? These are all rhetorical questions but the fact remains this latest bit of info aligns with the rumors and known info. Its VERY possible Verizon's GS2 version just may be a slider or perhaps its not and this release just snuck in under everyone's radar. If true this would be a first for an Android device.

So again, I'm going against everything I believe in and am going with this is the GS2 be it the slider version or a regular candy bar.

Sent from my Droid
    I don't think it's likely that any Samsung Galaxy device will be a slider. That was based on conjecture/phone leak that has already been debunked. Samsung has a slider in the works for VZW, but it's not the GS2.
    08-02-2011 03:20 PM
    I don't think it's likely that any Samsung Galaxy device will be a slider. That was based on conjecture/phone leak that has already been debunked. Samsung has a slider in the works for VZW, but it's not the GS2.
    I dont think so neither but ive seen some strange crap in my day

Sent from my Droid
    08-02-2011 03:30 PM
    I do hope its not the GS2 though. Then I will be forced to decide to buy or wait for the Nexus. Oh For craps sake!

Sent from my Droid
    08-02-2011 04:02 PM
    I mean, Stratosphere REALLY makes sense for a Galaxy S II, right?! The telescopes, the August timeframe...come on! I really don't want this to be that hideous slider. If it's that leaked At&t slider, then cool, but not that terrible looking thing that leaked last month.

As I said yesterday, I'm expecting to find out everything (officially or unofficially) by the end of next week.
    eksplosions likes this.
    08-02-2011 04:21 PM
    Thursday is just two sunsets away!
    08-02-2011 04:39 PM
    Somewhat off topic, but related, I am kinda fed up with phone manufacturing companies in general. What ever happened to being upfront and honest with your customers? I am all for the rumor mill and keeping things super secret while you are in production, but I really dislike this practice of keep things super secret right up until they all of a sudden announce: "Hey you know that new phone that you have been waiting for for 8 months?? It launches in 15 seconds!"

I don't understand how it hurts a cell phone company to disclose key information to its buyers once the phone is already finalized. Instead of the whole "sometime in August" release why not something a bit less vague. Why can't they tell us if it will be 4G? Release pictures? All of these things would do a better job IMHO of building hype for a phone and wouldn't hurt them one bit. It would also keep people loyal to their company and insure buyers who are looking more down the line. If they released all of the information on the SGSII two-three weeks ago then people would be locked into buying it instead of getting frustrated and just looking further down the road.

The way these companies act these days it makes me think of those awful girls you remember from high school who would just lead guys on for the fun of it. Its just sad really, they don't seem to have very much respect for sanity of those actually purchasing their device
    08-02-2011 04:54 PM
    Wait, is there talk of the phone releasing this Thursday?
    08-02-2011 04:58 PM
    Not that I'm aware of.
    08-02-2011 05:01 PM
    No, there isn't. I think he's just going off the basis that something could be announced Thursday as Verizon likes that day of the week. But there probably won't be any announcement anyways lol.

Last year Samsung had a huge NYC event for the Galaxy S launch in the US. There hasn't been any word yet on an event for the GSII. Is it possible there wont be an event? Or are we just further off than we thought?
    08-02-2011 05:06 PM
    Wait, is there talk of the phone releasing this Thursday?
    SCH19xx just tweeted "look to the stars oh beautiful one. There I lay in wait to burst through your Stratospere and reveal to you the beautiful and splendid Universe. In 2 sunsets the world as you know it, will change."

Account holder is following Phil, AC and Droid Life but its legit.

Sent from my Droid
    08-02-2011 05:11 PM
    I was going to say, that was some major stealth work by Verizon and Samsung if the device was launching this week.

I do think we are going to hear something soon if we are looking at an August/September launch.
    08-02-2011 05:13 PM
    SCH19xx just tweeted "look to the stars oh beautiful one. There I lay in wait to burst through your Stratospere and reveal to you the beautiful and splendid Universe. In 2 sunsets the world as you know it, will change."

Sent from my Droid
    Reveal...probably means we will get the official announcement including a release time. If it is a launch then I know a bunch of places that will want to know their stealth secrets.
    08-02-2011 05:15 PM

Sent from my Droid
    Can you link to the account? I can't seem to find it.
    08-02-2011 05:20 PM
    So it looks like there is a Verizon support page redirect for the Stratosphere now: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=btE-pFT_
    08-02-2011 05:20 PM
    Rules of this thread.

1. Somebody needs to talk to a rep and write about how they were told that it is dropping this month on a certain day.

2. Another person must verify said date with their own story of how the straight faced rep suddenly smiled when asked the question if it was coming out at that time and said "I'm not sure"

3. At least one story of a neighbor or cousin who won't reveal anything except that its coming soon.

4. We need one good conspriacy theory that makes absolutely no sense to anyone except for the person that wrote it.

(4a. At least one person needs to agree with the theory and say its possible)

And finally #5 and this is most important.

5. If the projected date is past August EVERYONE must pounce and call it nonsense and any dates that are in August EVERYONE must rally around it ( All posts MUST reflect an August release as very probable.)

Following erroneous twitter and FB pages is not mandatory but highly encouraged. For those wondering, Myspace is another acceptable news source.

Sent from my Droid
    ExpertZero likes this.
    08-02-2011 05:27 PM
    BGR is reporting that Sprint's SGSII will be launching in Sept and will be called the Epic Touch 4G

Sprint's Galaxy S II dubbed 'Samsung Epic Touch 4G,' launches in September

I guess that's one carrier out of the running for the Samsung-stated August stateside release of the SGSII! Crossing my fingers that VZW will be the first!
    08-02-2011 05:29 PM
    So there goes the Within. Function and Attain look to be something else.

Sent from my Droid
    08-02-2011 05:33 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD