Samsung Stratosphere 4G

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Somewhat off topic, but related, I am kinda fed up with phone manufacturing companies in general. What ever happened to being upfront and honest with your customers? I am all for the rumor mill and keeping things super secret while you are in production, but I really dislike this practice of keep things super secret right up until they all of a sudden announce: "Hey you know that new phone that you have been waiting for for 8 months?? It launches in 15 seconds!"

I don't understand how it hurts a cell phone company to disclose key information to its buyers once the phone is already finalized. Instead of the whole "sometime in August" release why not something a bit less vague. Why can't they tell us if it will be 4G? Release pictures? All of these things would do a better job IMHO of building hype for a phone and wouldn't hurt them one bit. It would also keep people loyal to their company and insure buyers who are looking more down the line. If they released all of the information on the SGSII two-three weeks ago then people would be locked into buying it instead of getting frustrated and just looking further down the road.

The way these companies act these days it makes me think of those awful girls you remember from high school who would just lead guys on for the fun of it. Its just sad really, they don't seem to have very much respect for sanity of those actually purchasing their device :p
They just dont want to kill sales of what they already have available. Also, its pretty easy for something to go wrong and things get delayed. They dont want to get you excited about a new device, preventing you from buying whats currently available, then have the new device end up not even coming out at all.

Sprints GS2 launching in Sept. Thought Samsung said August for all US carriers....
Sprint's Galaxy S II dubbed 'Samsung Epic Touch 4G,' launches in September
They said the first one in August and the rest within a month. So if the first one drops on August 31st they have until October 1st to make good on that promise :).

I think it makes sense that stratosphere is the GS2 (the whole telescopes and launching it into the stratosphere business..). I also think (and hope) that the QWERTY slider is it, though there is not much evidence to support that. The model number reported to be on the slider (SCH-i405) also doesnt really point to it being a GSII variant but model numbers are easily faked in the about screen. But that QWERTY is coming soon and would it make sense for two new Sammy phones to drop so close to each other?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it makes sense that stratosphere is the GS2 (the whole telescopes and launching it into the stratosphere business..). I also think (and hope) that the QWERTY slider is it, though there is not much evidence to support that.

If it has a keyboard I wouldn't considered it a GS2. A keyboard totally changes the phone. I'm excited for a GS2 type of phone, not a better version of the Droid series.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If it has a keyboard I wouldn't considered it a GS2. A keyboard totally changes the phone. I'm excited for a GS2 type of phone, not a better version of the Droid series.

It wont be the GS2, but it would be a GS2 variant. As in the rest of the hardware is the same. Look at what sprint did to the original galaxy. Thats the way carriers do things here. They each want their own unique version. But they are all still variants of the GS. The same thing will happen to the GS2.

VZW needs a better QWERTY without this locked bootloader nonsense. There will enough candy bar options to make your head spin soon enough (Bionic, Nexus Prime, ect). Just give us one good QWERTY.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The lack of any sign for either the GS2 or a midrange QWERTY slider or anything at all from samsung does not point to a release of anything any time soon. No FCC filing.. No MAP..

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
If this does end up being the SGSII and it releases tomorrow or the following week then I think the pentagon needs to bring in Samsung as an outside consultant on how to keep secrets. They clearly have their information on lockdown where the pentagon seems a been leaky

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
If this does end up being the SGSII and it releases tomorrow or the following week then I think the pentagon needs to bring in Samsung as an outside consultant on how to keep secrets. They clearly have their information on lockdown where the pentagon seems a been leaky

If there is some kind of announcement tomorrow I still think were 3 weeks away. You're right, no way is there an imminent release on the way. That's just wishful thinking.

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm thinking is that maybe VZW requested confidentiality on the FCC filing whereas Sprint and AT&T didn't. But I just can't reason that. Mehh.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I'm thinking is that maybe VZW requested confidentiality on the FCC filing whereas Sprint and AT&T didn't. But I just can't reason that. Mehh.
I would love to believe that but AFAIK that has never happened before. FCC filings have always been found about a month in advance. Anybody know what the shortest time there has been between FCC filing and release?

If there is some kind of announcement tomorrow I still think were 3 weeks away. You're right, no way is there an imminent release on the way. That's just wishful thinking.
What evidence is there to an announcement tomorrow? Is this just from that tweet about "in two sunsets" or is there more?

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I would love to believe that but AFAIK that has never happened before. FCC filings have always been found about a month in advance. Anybody know what the shortest time there has been between FCC filing and release?

What evidence is there to an announcement tomorrow? Is this just from that tweet about "in two sunsets" or is there more?

I think that is pretty much all we have to go on. Its pretty hard to determine which twitter accounts are legitimate and which ones are not. It just seems a bit strange to me because I would be somewhat surprised if the VZW version doesn't come out in August. We already know the sprint version is pushed to september and we know that at least one version has to come out in August. It's just very weird that we don't have a FCC filing. Realistically couldn't they release the phone the day after the FCC filing? Im sure that the phones are all ready to go so I don't see why they would have to wait around much longer after it gets approved.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
What I really don't understand is the people wanted this phone so bad that are on at&t.... You people on at&t that want this are ****ing lucky, you can just BUY ONE pop in your sim and your good to go.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What I really don't understand is the people wanted this phone so bad that are on at&t.... You people on at&t that want this are ****ing lucky, you can just BUY ONE pop in your sim and your good to go.

Hehe. Don't discount the stranglehold the carriers have on the masses with their subsidized handsets and plan contracts. There are a whole lot of people out there, myself included probably, that have a hard time paying full retail for a smart phone.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hehe. Don't discount the stranglehold the carriers have on the masses with their subsidized handsets and plan contracts. There are a whole lot of people out there, myself included probably, that have a hard time paying full retail for a smart phone.
Buy an iphone on contract, jailbreak it, sell it, then buy the SGS2. Ive been on ATT for 2 years now (using unbranded phones) and I regret not doing this. Being on a carrier for two years and not signing a contract is lost cash. As soon as a good QWERTY comes out for verizon i will switch and sign.