08-07-2011 10:03 PM
214 12345 ...
tools
    I answered above. Bionic and the Galaxy S2 are two entirely different phones. Bionic is targeted to a different demographic.

Sent from my Droid
    Not really. Yes the Bionic offer accessories that most other smart phones do not offer, but that's the whats being used to sell this device. The real selling point given to the Bionic is its the world's first LTE and dual core device on Verizon. What good is that if a similar device like the Samsung Galaxy S II came out the same day. Regardless if the Bionic offers some more accessories, in the end the GSII would triumph sales with it's style, display and being the sequel to the popular GS. I'm willing to bet that this Stratosphere is the slider and the GSII is coming soon, but 3G only.
    08-03-2011 09:30 PM
    Honestly I really don't care if Verizon doesn't even get it. Ill get a bigger discount on sprint anyway. Plus they allow you delete bloatware.
    08-03-2011 09:36 PM
    Honestly I really don't care if Verizon doesn't even get it. Ill get a bigger discount on sprint anyway. Plus they allow you delete bloatware.
    Then why not go to sprint?
    08-03-2011 09:40 PM
    With carriers, you don't really get deals or discounts. You pretty much get what you pay for, that being the service. You can't deny that Verizon is the most expensive carrier, but it's also clear they offer the best service.
    08-03-2011 09:42 PM
    I guess there is always the hope that it will the internals of the SGS II. If it does and the keyboard and slider are top notch, I'd think about it. I haven't had a slider in over a year but if the keyboard was as good as the rest of the device it would still be a contender for me.
    I agree if it had good internals I have nothing against a slider but if it is just a rebranded epic then I will pass. If worst comes to worst I would wait another month for the vigor/revo 2
    f150fan likes this.
    08-03-2011 09:42 PM
    p3droid also predicted the bionic was gonna come out in august, so i wouldnt put too much weight on his tweets
    08-03-2011 10:30 PM
    I would at least take it into consideration though. He has gotten a hold of some really nice leaked updates for many Verizon devices. To me that says that he definitely has someone on the inside that is feeding him the information. Who knows for sure though. We could possibly see something this month or maybe it just hadn't made the list yet. Time will tell.
    08-03-2011 10:38 PM
    Not really. Yes the Bionic offer accessories that most other smart phones do not offer, but that's the whats being used to sell this device. The real selling point given to the Bionic is its the world's first LTE and dual core device on Verizon. What good is that if a similar device like the Samsung Galaxy S II came out the same day. Regardless if the Bionic offers some more accessories, in the end the GSII would triumph sales with it's style, display and being the sequel to the popular GS. I'm willing to bet that this Stratosphere is the slider and the GSII is coming soon, but 3G only.
    I disagree. They are two entirely different devices. WebTop and accessories are what sets it apart from the rest of the pack and those are its strongest selling points. Capabilities. Dual Core falls on deaf ears. Most people havent a clue what that means nor do they care.

Regardless if they come out at the same time what's going to kill sales I believe is the very thing that sets it apart. Accessories and tethering plan. People will simply pick up a different handset be it the charge,TB, stratosphere etc etc.

We tend to over analyze things because we are fanatics but I don't see any harm in releasing 2 LTE handsets at the same time. Both offer something different.

Sent from my Droid
    08-03-2011 11:23 PM
    Well, this is nice and all, but where is the information about releases in August? Hard to believe that an entire month will go by with no releases at all. Really hoping that a GSII stuck in there, otherwise I'm gonna have to settle for the Droid 3.
    08-03-2011 11:36 PM
    I agree if it had good internals I have nothing against a slider but if it is just a rebranded epic then I will pass. If worst comes to worst I would wait another month for the vigor/revo 2
    I am starting to lean more and more into this camp. Everyone seems to be thinking that it is either A) the SGSII variant for VZW or B} that 4G LTE slider with the SGII variant to come out in August or later in the year. I am starting to think that it is both. Even though I would be somewhat upset with their decision making, I think that the 4G slider IS the SGSII variant for VZW. It just seems a bit implausible for Sammy to have kept an entirely different 4G LTE phone a secret. We have had rumors floating around about the SGSII for months upon months and literally not a single rumor about the Stratosphere until less then a week ago. If it ends up that its not the VZW variant of the SGSII then I tip my hat to them for keeping a phone of this magnitude secret to literally everyone, but it just makes more sense that this is the SGSII variant.

Well, this is nice and all, but where is the information about releases in August? Hard to believe that an entire month will go by with no releases at all. Really hoping that a GSII stuck in there, otherwise I'm gonna have to settle for the Droid 3.
    They said it would release in the U.S. in August. They never said it would release on every carrier in August. My guess is it will release on AT&T in August, but all other carriers in September.
    08-03-2011 11:45 PM
    Everyone is saying the Stratosphere is the GSII i dont think it is i think its the Slider but i could also be wrong but we wont know till it comes out.
    08-03-2011 11:59 PM
    Everyone is saying the Stratosphere is the GSII i dont think it is i think its the Slider but i could also be wrong but we wont know till it comes out.
    You're just as right as they are

I'm going against everything I believe in and am saying the same thing. I THINK, as in guessing, it's the GSII. This phone has slipped through the cracks with out even a mention anywhere. No FCC, no verifiable pics, no rumor of a Stratosphere or other code name. ZERO. Nothing. This phone did not exist 2 days ago (well it did but you know)

So EVERYONE is guessing. Fact of the matter is that it could be a touchscreen with a keyboard BB Torch style. It could be anything at this point. Nobody knows anything and nothing can be tossed aside as nonsense. So go ahead and guess some more. You just may end up right.

I would love for it to be revealed that it's neither lol

I said it before I'll say it again. I've never seen anything kept this secret with the exception of the iPhone.

We'll hear something VERY VERY soon. What a trip this has been. An Android device is launching in just over a month and NOBODY has even heard of it LOL. Insanity
    08-04-2011 12:13 AM
    ...a mystery box could be anything..... it could even be a boat!
    f150fan and enchinga like this.
    08-04-2011 12:23 AM
    Forgot to mention. It was widely accepted that Sprints GS2 would be called the Within and just like that ....*poof*.... that name was gone.

Nobody knows anything
    08-04-2011 12:23 AM
    ...a mystery box could be anything..... it could even be a boat!
    ok now you're way off base...a plane or a rocket yes but a boat? Boats don't travel in or outside the Stratosphere
    08-04-2011 12:25 AM
    This baby thinks otherwise:

Jtav27 likes this.
    08-04-2011 12:30 AM
    and since it's code name was the Aegis would they really code name a mid tier device the Aegis? Heck no. You only code name a beast of technology the Aegis then subsequently name it the Stratosphere. Thats like naming the VW Beetle: Viper, Challenger, Mustang

For those unfamiliar with the name Aegis. I present to you:

Aegis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    08-04-2011 12:37 AM
    Ok MasterGiraffe NOW you may be right. I see what you did there.
    08-04-2011 12:39 AM
    Same internals or not, I can say that I'm not really big on getting a slider. I hope that the Verizon version is not one and that we get a regular S2. Last week we saw that initial AT&T info saying their version would be a slider and that turned out to be wrong.
    08-04-2011 03:08 AM
    Same internals or not, I can say that I'm not really big on getting a slider. I hope that the Verizon version is not one and that we get a regular S2. Last week we saw that initial AT&T info saying their version would be a slider and that turned out to be wrong.
    If it's turns out to be a slider I have some tough choices.

I don't want another slider. I have the Droid. Great phone, but I don't use the keyboard. I could get the Bionic, but I'm not sold on it yet. If it's not an awesome device I can either wait for the Prime or switch carriers.
    08-04-2011 06:18 AM
    P3Droid has just hinted on Twitter that the SGSII is not coming to Verizon or may not be coming soon, at least that is what I picked up from his tweets. I tweeted back to him regarding this but I have not gotten any response back. Not sure if that is what will happen but just reporting what I saw.
    Here's what he said:

@P3Droid: If you payed careful attn: you will not see the Samsung SGII on the road map, sorry folks stop holding your breath.
    We know Verizon and the other carriers aren't calling these phones the GSII so why would it be listed under that name on the roadmap? Looks like P3Droid is offering an opinion and not something from "inside knowledge."
    08-04-2011 06:25 AM
    If it's turns out to be a slider I have some tough choices.

I don't want another slider. I have the Droid. Great phone, but I don't use the keyboard. I could get the Bionic, but I'm not sold on it yet. If it's not an awesome device I can either wait for the Prime or switch carriers.
    This is something that I have thought about as well. AT&T is the provider for all my friends and family, except one person. An AT&T plan may end up saving me a bunch of money but they I will be sacrificing the reliable Verizon network. I am not sure on what I will do yet. There are some awesome devices coming soon.
    08-04-2011 06:27 AM
    I disagree. They are two entirely different devices. WebTop and accessories are what sets it apart from the rest of the pack and those are its strongest selling points. Capabilities. Dual Core falls on deaf ears. Most people havent a clue what that means nor do they care.

Regardless if they come out at the same time what's going to kill sales I believe is the very thing that sets it apart. Accessories and tethering plan. People will simply pick up a different handset be it the charge,TB, stratosphere etc etc.

We tend to over analyze things because we are fanatics but I don't see any harm in releasing 2 LTE handsets at the same time. Both offer something different.

Sent from my Droid
    Ok, I'm usually with you CK, but I have to disagree here. The Bionic and GSII are very similar devices. If you go down the list, the features are almost identical. Implementations are different such as pentile vs. SAMOLED+. But, things like form factor, screen size, memory capacity, CPU, etc., are nearly the same. Now, you and I put more weight into specific implementation details that the average consumer doesn't, and that helps us separate the two. But, to the average consumer, they're almost identical, with the screen being the biggest discriminator. This would especially be true if they are both 4G/LTE.

That said, the Bionic may be "marketed" towards a slightly different consumer with the webtop capabilities. But, that was such a failure that I don't really see that as a big discriminator and enough to edge it into being an "entirely different device".
    CanUFeelIt and Stang68 like this.
    08-04-2011 07:35 AM
    Ok, I'm usually with you CK, but I have to disagree here. The Bionic and GSII are very similar devices. If you go down the list, the features are almost identical. Implementations are different such as pentile vs. SAMOLED+. But, things like form factor, screen size, memory capacity, CPU, etc., are nearly the same. Now, you and I put more weight into specific implementation details that the average consumer doesn't, and that helps us separate the two. But, to the average consumer, they're almost identical, with the screen being the biggest discriminator. This would especially be true if they are both 4G/LTE.

That said, the Bionic may be "marketed" towards a slightly different consumer with the webtop capabilities. But, that was such a failure that I don't really see that as a big discriminator and enough to edge it into being an "entirely different device".
    I'm with on you this.. Certainly there are some people who buy based on accessories, but that's just not a strong enough selling point.
    Behold the Bionic! The ultimate business phone... because it has a.... dock!
    I can't wait to see that commercial.
    DolfanCole likes this.
    08-04-2011 08:01 AM
    Maybe vzw gave motorola plenty of chances to come out with the first LTE dual core phone, but motorola couldn't get the bionic right. Now, the best they could hope for is to launch at the same time as the LTE gs2, which was previously negotiated to be released 9/8.......Sure its suicide for moto, but theyve invested too much into the phone to scrap the entire thing.
    Jtav27 likes this.
    08-04-2011 08:39 AM
214 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD