New Roadmap Leaked - Stratosphere 9/8

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is saying the Stratosphere is the GSII i dont think it is i think its the Slider but i could also be wrong but we wont know till it comes out.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is saying the Stratosphere is the GSII i dont think it is i think its the Slider but i could also be wrong but we wont know till it comes out.
You're just as right as they are :)

I'm going against everything I believe in and am saying the same thing. I THINK, as in guessing, it's the GSII. This phone has slipped through the cracks with out even a mention anywhere. No FCC, no verifiable pics, no rumor of a Stratosphere or other code name. ZERO. Nothing. This phone did not exist 2 days ago (well it did but you know)

So EVERYONE is guessing. Fact of the matter is that it could be a touchscreen with a keyboard BB Torch style. It could be anything at this point. Nobody knows anything and nothing can be tossed aside as nonsense. So go ahead and guess some more. You just may end up right.

I would love for it to be revealed that it's neither lol

I said it before I'll say it again. I've never seen anything kept this secret with the exception of the iPhone.

We'll hear something VERY VERY soon. What a trip this has been. An Android device is launching in just over a month and NOBODY has even heard of it LOL. Insanity

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention. It was widely accepted that Sprints GS2 would be called the Within and just like that ....*poof*.... that name was gone.

Nobody knows anything :)

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
This baby thinks otherwise:

sunderld.jpg

:confused:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
and since it's code name was the Aegis would they really code name a mid tier device the Aegis? Heck no. You only code name a beast of technology the Aegis then subsequently name it the Stratosphere. Thats like naming the VW Beetle: Viper, Challenger, Mustang

For those unfamiliar with the name Aegis. I present to you:

Aegis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Same internals or not, I can say that I'm not really big on getting a slider. I hope that the Verizon version is not one and that we get a regular S2. Last week we saw that initial AT&T info saying their version would be a slider and that turned out to be wrong.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Same internals or not, I can say that I'm not really big on getting a slider. I hope that the Verizon version is not one and that we get a regular S2. Last week we saw that initial AT&T info saying their version would be a slider and that turned out to be wrong.

If it's turns out to be a slider I have some tough choices.

I don't want another slider. I have the Droid. Great phone, but I don't use the keyboard. I could get the Bionic, but I'm not sold on it yet. If it's not an awesome device I can either wait for the Prime or switch carriers.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
P3Droid has just hinted on Twitter that the SGSII is not coming to Verizon or may not be coming soon, at least that is what I picked up from his tweets. I tweeted back to him regarding this but I have not gotten any response back. Not sure if that is what will happen but just reporting what I saw.

Here's what he said:

@P3Droid: If you payed careful attn: you will not see the Samsung SGII on the road map, sorry folks stop holding your breath.

We know Verizon and the other carriers aren't calling these phones the GSII so why would it be listed under that name on the roadmap? Looks like P3Droid is offering an opinion and not something from "inside knowledge."

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If it's turns out to be a slider I have some tough choices.

I don't want another slider. I have the Droid. Great phone, but I don't use the keyboard. I could get the Bionic, but I'm not sold on it yet. If it's not an awesome device I can either wait for the Prime or switch carriers.

This is something that I have thought about as well. AT&T is the provider for all my friends and family, except one person. An AT&T plan may end up saving me a bunch of money but they I will be sacrificing the reliable Verizon network. I am not sure on what I will do yet. There are some awesome devices coming soon.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. They are two entirely different devices. WebTop and accessories are what sets it apart from the rest of the pack and those are its strongest selling points. Capabilities. Dual Core falls on deaf ears. Most people havent a clue what that means nor do they care.

Regardless if they come out at the same time what's going to kill sales I believe is the very thing that sets it apart. Accessories and tethering plan. People will simply pick up a different handset be it the charge,TB, stratosphere etc etc.

We tend to over analyze things because we are fanatics but I don't see any harm in releasing 2 LTE handsets at the same time. Both offer something different.

Sent from my Droid

Ok, I'm usually with you CK, but I have to disagree here. The Bionic and GSII are very similar devices. If you go down the list, the features are almost identical. Implementations are different such as pentile vs. SAMOLED+. But, things like form factor, screen size, memory capacity, CPU, etc., are nearly the same. Now, you and I put more weight into specific implementation details that the average consumer doesn't, and that helps us separate the two. But, to the average consumer, they're almost identical, with the screen being the biggest discriminator. This would especially be true if they are both 4G/LTE.

That said, the Bionic may be "marketed" towards a slightly different consumer with the webtop capabilities. But, that was such a failure that I don't really see that as a big discriminator and enough to edge it into being an "entirely different device".

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm usually with you CK, but I have to disagree here. The Bionic and GSII are very similar devices. If you go down the list, the features are almost identical. Implementations are different such as pentile vs. SAMOLED+. But, things like form factor, screen size, memory capacity, CPU, etc., are nearly the same. Now, you and I put more weight into specific implementation details that the average consumer doesn't, and that helps us separate the two. But, to the average consumer, they're almost identical, with the screen being the biggest discriminator. This would especially be true if they are both 4G/LTE.

That said, the Bionic may be "marketed" towards a slightly different consumer with the webtop capabilities. But, that was such a failure that I don't really see that as a big discriminator and enough to edge it into being an "entirely different device".

I'm with on you this.. Certainly there are some people who buy based on accessories, but that's just not a strong enough selling point.
Behold the Bionic! The ultimate business phone... because it has a.... dock!

I can't wait to see that commercial.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Maybe vzw gave motorola plenty of chances to come out with the first LTE dual core phone, but motorola couldn't get the bionic right. Now, the best they could hope for is to launch at the same time as the LTE gs2, which was previously negotiated to be released 9/8.......Sure its suicide for moto, but theyve invested too much into the phone to scrap the entire thing.

CanUFeelIt

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I like that. Most people will barely be able to tell the difference. I'm no tech guru but if the Bionic and SG2 launched on the same day, SG2 could be 3G for those people w/out it yet and the Bionic could be the 4G alternative for those that do

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's what he said:

We know Verizon and the other carriers aren't calling these phones the GSII so why would it be listed under that name on the roadmap? Looks like P3Droid is offering an opinion and not something from "inside knowledge."

While I agree that it will not be launching under the Galaxy S name we still haven't seen anything regarding the Verizon version that is concrete. I would love something concrete to at least let us know one way or the other whether we can expect this at big red. I still think he provides good info when he can. He may be wrong but then again he may be right. Something may have happened behind the scenes that we have not been privy to. Time will ultimately tell though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I like that. Most people will barely be able to tell the difference. I'm no tech guru but if the Bionic and SG2 launched on the same day, SG2 could be 3G for those people w/out it yet and the Bionic could be the 4G alternative for those that do

Except the map says the Stratosphere is a 4G device.

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I asked VZWSupport on twitter what the Samsung Stratosphere was and if it was the GS2 and here is the non-surprising response I got:

VZWSupport VZW Support
@ @gregba7 I have no information on a future release. Please sign up for the latest news on products and services at Verizon Wireless. ^YK