08-07-2011 10:03 PM
214 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I think what you're saying goes too far. If the slider is the "GSII variant", and the internals are all the same as all other variants (with the exception of the radios to suit the carrier), then it's still a GSII in my mind. For instance, one of the biggest things that drew me to the GSII was the performance, both from a hardware and software standpoint. Now, if the internals are the same (CPU, memory, etc.), the screen is the same, interface is the same, etc., then adding a physical keyboard shouldn't change the performance and shouldn't change the fact that it's still a GSII.
    I do see where he is coming from though. Change anything major about it whether it be something performance wise or the form factor and it is no longer the same form. Unfortunately thats what US carriers like to do and thats why we call them GS2 variants. More than likely no one is getting the GS2 as is with only radio changes.
    DolfanCole likes this.
    08-04-2011 01:29 PM
    I think what you're saying goes too far. If the slider is the "GSII variant", and the internals are all the same as all other variants (with the exception of the radios to suit the carrier), then it's still a GSII in my mind. For instance, one of the biggest things that drew me to the GSII was the performance, both from a hardware and software standpoint. Now, if the internals are the same (CPU, memory, etc.), the screen is the same, interface is the same, etc., then adding a physical keyboard shouldn't change the performance and shouldn't change the fact that it's still a GSII.
    I totally agree. It's all about the guts and the screen that makes it a GSII variant in my mind.
    08-04-2011 01:42 PM
    i hope it does have a qwerty keyboard because theres no other 4g phones out or coming up that have that......and for someone who txts all day long, its impossible to type as fast on a touch keyboard. I know you shouldnt text and drive but without a qwerty its impossible to txt and drive without taking your eyes off road
    08-04-2011 01:59 PM
    If apple were to add a keyboard to a new iphone4, would anyone really not think or call it is an iphone? Im guessing it would just be an iphone slider

same principle applies here, as long as everything is the same internally

I think that the main issue, is all the damn names this phone has. If they would just stick with Galaxy SII, so much confusion would be alleviated.
    08-04-2011 02:02 PM
    While the SGSII has some very nice specs I was REALLY interested in the small form factor. If I remember correctly one of the hype points was "the slimmest phone ever." How can you change a selling point and retain the same name?

On the other side, if the internals are the same less the radios would it make sense to change the name?

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;"
    08-04-2011 02:20 PM
    What I don't get is why not just release two different GSII phones on Verizon? Say one is 3g and keeps the "true" GSII look and appeal, and they release a seperate 4g GSII that's slightly modified to accommodate the 4g internals? Heck even through a slider in there. There, all of your bases are covered.

And I do realize that this happens all the time, just not with different variants of the same phone model.
    08-04-2011 02:31 PM
    i hope it does have a qwerty keyboard because theres no other 4g phones out or coming up that have that......and for someone who txts all day long, its impossible to type as fast on a touch keyboard. I know you shouldnt text and drive but without a qwerty its impossible to txt and drive without taking your eyes off road
    Isn't the text speed record on Swype?
    08-04-2011 02:40 PM
    While the SGSII has some very nice specs I was REALLY interested in the small form factor. If I remember correctly one of the hype points was "the slimmest phone ever." How can you change a selling point and retain the same name?

On the other side, if the internals are the same less the radios would it make sense to change the name?

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;"
    If it has a keyboard it's DOA for me. I'll already carry a useless keyboard on the Droid. There's a reason there's no keyboard version of the iPhone. There aren't enough people who want it.
    08-04-2011 02:42 PM
    Isn't the text speed record on Swype?
    I believe it either is or once was.

If it has a keyboard it's DOA for me. I'll already carry a useless keyboard on the Droid. There's a reason there's no keyboard version of the iPhone. There aren't enough people who want it.
    I hardly ever use it but it is nice sometimes. Swype just does not like my emails and my passwords are VERY complex so the hardware keyboard is nicer. Specifically on the OG Droid, there just isn't enough room on the virtual I end up hitting the wrong keys. I could do without it though as most of my typing is on Swype and I think a larger screen would make the password/incorrect key issues easier to deal with.

While it's not a deal breaker for me, the slim form factor was part of the cool factor.
    08-04-2011 02:46 PM
    people really use swype. i tried it once and laughed and never again
    08-04-2011 03:06 PM
    You never laughed again?

Swype is awesome. It would be even better on a phone wider than my Droid.
    08-04-2011 03:08 PM
    Theres a reason android outsells iphones. Because one size does not fit all. Android comes in many shapes and sizes and is far more customize-able. Just because YOU dont like a keyboard does not mean other people dont either. If all you do is type 160 char texts all day sure you dont need a keyboard. I like being able to actually see the webpage I am typing in while im typing. Strange, I know. I tried a phone with no kb (nexus one). It doesnt work for me. You tried a phone with a kb and you dont like it. To each his own. Stop acting like what suits you should suit everyone. You have and will have plenty of choices of phones without keyboards. Those of us who like keyboards have only one choice. If you dont like encrypted bootloaders right now you are screwed on VZW.
    08-04-2011 03:27 PM
    They are not retaining the name.
    08-04-2011 03:31 PM
    Did you do the same thing when you first got on a bike?

It takes getting used to. It took me about 2 days to get realy comfortable with it, and now it type at least twice as fast as I did before.

One thing to point out, though, and this might not apply to you, if you don't know the qwerty layout by heart (as in you can't type without looking), swype probably isn't the best keyboard for you.
    08-04-2011 03:34 PM
    They are not retaining the name.
    I was doing more of an argument for both sides there. I can see each and there are valid points on both.

If I were making the decision, I would NOT keep the name IF the slider is the variant. Change the name, make the slim model 3G and capitalize on both.

Some people just don't want to jump on the 4G technology just yet, it is still in its infancy and they are worried about stability issues. Also, not all markets have 4G and some would see purchasing the slider as a waste. It's really a principle of give the market choice and watch the money flow in.
    08-04-2011 03:37 PM
    Stop acting like what suits you should suit everyone. You have and will have plenty of choices of phones without keyboards. Those of us who like keyboards have only one choice. If you dont like encrypted bootloaders right now you are screwed on VZW.
    I am only speaking for myself. I think my comments reflect that. The most popular phones aren't sliders. The market reflects that reality. If the GS2 is a slider on VZW it's going to be a losing device. Sure, there are people who are willing to buy it, but I'm not going to act like a GS2 slider is a win for Samsung when it isn't for most people.

Theres a reason android outsells iphones. Because one size does not fit all. Android comes in many shapes and sizes and is far more customize-able.
    It probably has nothing to do with being restricted to one carrier for so long.
    BigDFSU likes this.
    08-04-2011 03:37 PM
    well thats what im talking about i can type without looking on the qwerty, no chance doing that with the touch keyboard.
    08-04-2011 03:42 PM
    I am only speaking for myself. I think my comments reflect that. The most popular phones aren't sliders. The market reflects that reality. If the GS2 is a slider on VZW it's going to be a losing device. Sure, there are people who are willing to buy it, but I'm not going to act like a GS2 slider is a win for Samsung when it isn't for most people.
    Ok fair enough. Your comments sounded like they suggested that no one should need a keyboard (many do feel that way). But yes, a slider is a win. Releasing two nearly identical phones on the same day is a fail. So yes, providing choices is a big win. Those who want kb get the slider. Those who dont get the bionic (or the X2, or the TB, or the Charge, or the Revo; Not everyone has to have the absolute latest). Is there a problem in that equation?

It probably has nothing to do with being restricted to one carrier for so long.
    Seeing that android is *still* outselling iphone.. no it doesnt.
    08-04-2011 03:49 PM
    But yes, a slider is a win. Releasing two nearly identical phones on the same day is a fail. So yes, providing choices is a big win.
    You seem to be confusing Verizon with Samsung. 2 identical phones on the same day is bad for Motorola and for Verizon. Samsung changing the form factor for a internationally popular phone to suit Verizon isn't good for Samsung.

I'm sure Samsung wouldn't consider selling less units a win. The Bionic will be a more popular phone if the Samsung phone is a slider.
    08-04-2011 03:57 PM
    Theres a reason android outsells iphones. Because one size does not fit all. Android comes in many shapes and sizes and is far more customize-able. Just because YOU dont like a keyboard does not mean other people dont either. If all you do is type 160 char texts all day sure you dont need a keyboard. I like being able to actually see the webpage I am typing in while im typing. Strange, I know. I tried a phone with no kb (nexus one). It doesnt work for me. You tried a phone with a kb and you dont like it. To each his own. Stop acting like what suits you should suit everyone. You have and will have plenty of choices of phones without keyboards. Those of us who like keyboards have only one choice. If you dont like encrypted bootloaders right now you are screwed on VZW.
    I agree with you. I type long messages all the time and even typing on sites such as these are a pian sometimes when you are typing something long. Not to mention the lag that comes from some sites(and no it isnt that I have a cheap phone I have the thunderbolt and has happened with other high end android phones) it isnt the same as having a keyboard and the droid keyboard was very difficult to type on so you cant say if you had a better keyboard that you wouldnt use it. I havent had a keyboard phone in years but I would still be willing to try one again as long as it has a better hinge than the epic does. The keyboard on that is great not to mention a 4 inch super amoled screen. If you don't want one with a keyboard there will be plenty of options for those without keyboards.
    f150fan likes this.
    08-04-2011 04:05 PM
    Seeing that android is *still* outselling iphone.. no it doesnt.[/QUOTE]

But that is one phone going up against how many android phones? I'm no fanboy but it is common sense if you have only 1 phone it is going to be outsold when you have to compete against way more phones lol.
    08-04-2011 04:07 PM
    You seem to be confusing Verizon with Samsung. 2 identical phones on the same day is bad for Motorola and for Verizon. Samsung changing the form factor for a internationally popular phone to suit Verizon isn't good for Samsung.

I'm sure Samsung wouldn't consider selling less units a win. The Bionic will be a more popular phone if the Samsung phone is a slider.
    They changed the form factor for sprint.
    08-04-2011 04:11 PM
    But that is one phone going up against how many android phones? I'm no fanboy but it is common sense if you have only 1 phone it is going to be outsold when you have to compete against way more phones lol.
    The number of devices isn't really the issue. The specs Apple decides to put in their devices is. Also, iPhones are still only sold on AT&T and Verizon. Cut out all Sprint and T-Mobile Android sales, then select only the Android devices that compare to the iPhone in specs. This will give you a better judgement on Android vs. iPhone. Yes, I know there will still be people buying because of the Apple/Moto/HTC/Sammy/etc... brand name but it is a better comparison than just raw Android vs. iPhone sales.
    08-04-2011 04:14 PM

You seem to be confused on who has power in the US phone market. VZW gets the say on what phones they carry. They tell the phone manufacturers what specs to give their phones. They tell the manufactures to lock their bootloaders and load the phones with bloatware. If the manufacturers dont do what VZW wants, they dont get any access to VZW customers. Then they sell no phones. Im sure Samsung wouldnt consider selling no units a win.
    08-04-2011 04:15 PM
    Everyone is so consumed with the Stratosphere being the GSII or the slider. Watch it be something else

Yes it's possible..........
    f150fan likes this.
    08-04-2011 05:07 PM
214 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD