08-07-2011 10:03 PM
214 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Everyone is so consumed with the Stratosphere being the GSII or the slider. Watch it be something else

Yes it's possible..........
    Or nothing at all.. The ultimate irony

If it really does come the 8th we will have FCC reports soon. I need to stop checking forums daily and just wait for that to happen.
    08-04-2011 05:14 PM
    Everyone is so consumed with the Stratosphere being the GSII or the slider. Watch it be something else

Yes it's possible..........
    Time machine/mind reading device.
    08-04-2011 05:14 PM
    I am making this prediction. Whatever it is, it WILL be LTE. You can take that to the bank. Don't ask me how I know, I just know.

edit: I'm being facetious
    BigDFSU likes this.
    08-04-2011 05:17 PM
    I am making this prediction. Whatever it is, it WILL be LTE. You can take that to the bank. Don't ask me how I know, I just know.
    Looks like this is certain unless the roadmap and the rumors are all untrue.
    08-04-2011 05:22 PM
    Looks like this is certain unless the roadmap and the rumors are all untrue.
    /sarcasm
    08-04-2011 05:25 PM
    /sarcasm
    facetious
    08-04-2011 05:33 PM
    You seem to be confused on who has power in the US phone market. VZW gets the say on what phones they carry. They tell the phone manufacturers what specs to give their phones. They tell the manufactures to lock their bootloaders and load the phones with bloatware. If the manufacturers dont do what VZW wants, they dont get any access to VZW customers. Then they sell no phones. Im sure Samsung wouldnt consider selling no units a win.
    if verizon tells manufacturers to lock the bootloaders why is it moto is the only locked down one and it is locked on all carriers????
    08-04-2011 06:49 PM
    You seem to be confused on who has power in the US phone market. VZW gets the say on what phones they carry. They tell the phone manufacturers what specs to give their phones. They tell the manufactures to lock their bootloaders and load the phones with bloatware. If the manufacturers dont do what VZW wants, they dont get any access to VZW customers. Then they sell no phones. Im sure Samsung wouldnt consider selling no units a win.
    is this why the iphone has no verizon bloatware and no obnoxious verizon labeling?
    08-04-2011 07:03 PM
    is this why the iphone has no verizon bloatware and no obnoxious verizon labeling?
    Yeah that one angers me. I wish the other manufacturers would take a stand like Apple. What are you going to do though. Apple runs the show.
    08-04-2011 07:17 PM
    Yeah that one angers me. I wish the other manufacturers would take a stand like Apple. What are you going to do though. Apple runs the show.
    Yeah. You have to hand it to Apple though. Work out an exclusive deal with one carrier, sell a metric-F-ton of phones, help said carrier add millions of subscribers, then make the other carriers bow down and kiss your boots.
    08-04-2011 07:23 PM
    True true

Sent from my Droid
    08-04-2011 07:37 PM
    on the topic of iphone, i'm gonna wait and compare the bionic, gs2, and iphone since theyre all coming out around the same time it looks like. i dont have an allegiance to any brand or os bc i cant recall one time where theyve reciprocated any love for buying one of their products
    08-04-2011 08:00 PM
    on the topic of iphone, i'm gonna wait and compare the bionic, gs2, and iphone since theyre all coming out around the same time it looks like. i dont have an allegiance to any brand or os bc i cant recall one time where theyve reciprocated any love for buying one of their products
    That will probably be the smartest thing to do. I am sure all of these phones will be really good phones and will do what you want them to do. You can hate on the iphone but they do have the hardware and software working pretty flawlessly on it. I think once android gets to that then it will no longer be a comparison. I do like android a little better but have no brand loyalty whichever works best for me is what I will get.
    08-04-2011 08:15 PM
    Yankdez great post. If I was home I could like it. So consider it liked

Sent from my Droid
    yankdez likes this.
    08-04-2011 08:56 PM
    i dont have an allegiance to any brand or os bc i cant recall one time where theyve reciprocated any love for buying one of their products
    well said. especially not from HTC. still have a ton of complaints about the tbolt
    08-04-2011 09:30 PM
    well said. especially not from HTC. still have a ton of complaints about the tbolt
    I agree my main beef is the awful battery life other than that it is a pretty nice phone luckily I have not gotten one with many of the issues others had.
    08-04-2011 09:45 PM
    Yeah. You have to hand it to Apple though. Work out an exclusive deal with one carrier, sell a metric-F-ton of phones, help said carrier add millions of subscribers, then make the other carriers bow down and kiss your boots.
    All the while, said carrier ** cough ATT** doesn't extend their 3g coverage.
    08-04-2011 09:51 PM
    Apple is the king of screwjobs.
    A lot of people like how they stand their ground and stop the carriers from adding their crap but on the other hand they make a phone out of weak glass, insurance rates are through the roof on it.
    The worst is the what apple does to the sales rep. The iPhone makes you a $40 profit on an upgrade. It costs the store so much money to buy the phone and they're not allowed to adjust the price one penny. Also apple has their own data plan. It makes no difference to the customer in terms of cost but it binds the sales rep and store. If a customer wants to give their iPhone to a family member that's being added as a new line or upgrade, the rep and store cannot make any money off of data because once an iPhone is activated you can never make money off the Apple data again.
    Thank God that people rarely (if never) return iPhones.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE
    08-04-2011 10:05 PM
    Apple is the king of screwjobs.
    A lot of people like how they stand their ground and stop the carriers from adding their crap but on the other hand they make a phone out of weak glass, insurance rates are through the roof on it.
    The worst is the what apple does to the sales rep. The iPhone makes you a $40 profit on an upgrade. It costs the store so much money to buy the phone and they're not allowed to adjust the price one penny. Also apple has their own data plan. It makes no difference to the customer in terms of cost but it binds the sales rep and store. If a customer wants to give their iPhone to a family member that's being added as a new line or upgrade, the rep and store cannot make any money off of data because once an iPhone is activated you can never make money off the Apple data again.
    Thank God that people rarely (if never) return iPhones.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE
    so you're mad apple is getting most of the money and not the carriers?
    08-04-2011 10:14 PM
    You guys are so off topic /facepalm
    TeeSquar and rosser like this.
    08-05-2011 12:49 AM
    You can hate on the iphone but they do have the hardware and software working pretty flawlessly on it. I think once android gets to that then it will no longer be a comparison.
    People really underestimate this fact and I think this is the main place that the android phones fail. Integration between hardware and software is much more important then a lot of people realize. The biggest downfall in the android universe at the moment IMHO is the release of phones in quick succession. The android community cares a bit too much about the specs on paper and it leads to this constant release of phones that are only slightly better then the last. This gives the manufacturers no time to make sure that their software and hardwares are pared perfectly together. That is why you see so many software problems on a lot of the new android sets because they are rushed. If the android market as a whole took a step back and put a bit more thought and care into their phones instead of pushing them out the door they would have a better product. I feel like this is driven by something being labeled "old" or "outdated" before it even comes out. The bionic and SGSII are already being using in sentences with those words and they haven't even come out yet...

Until the android consumer realizes that their phone will actually be faster if they put a bit less pressure on the developers and allow them to optimize their software to their hardware, we will never see the seamless integration we see on iPhones. People don't need any of the ridiculously overpowered specs that are coming out in phones these days to make the phone blazing fast. I would take 4 month old hardware that was perfectly optimized with the software ANY day over the cutting edge. (as long as it has LTE )
    08-05-2011 01:03 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more Giraffe. I wish I didn't have to factor in how timely a carrier/manufacturer pumps out software updates to their phones....Just look at how much support the iphone 3g is still getting.
    08-05-2011 01:42 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more Giraffe. I wish I didn't have to factor in how timely a carrier/manufacturer pumps out software updates to their phones....Just look at how much support the iphone 3g is still getting.
    Thats another area apple wins is updates across the board not waiting months for new updates.
    08-05-2011 06:17 AM
    People really underestimate this fact and I think this is the main place that the android phones fail. Integration between hardware and software is much more important then a lot of people realize. The biggest downfall in the android universe at the moment IMHO is the release of phones in quick succession. The android community cares a bit too much about the specs on paper and it leads to this constant release of phones that are only slightly better then the last. This gives the manufacturers no time to make sure that their software and hardwares are pared perfectly together. That is why you see so many software problems on a lot of the new android sets because they are rushed. If the android market as a whole took a step back and put a bit more thought and care into their phones instead of pushing them out the door they would have a better product. I feel like this is driven by something being labeled "old" or "outdated" before it even comes out. The bionic and SGSII are already being using in sentences with those words and they haven't even come out yet...

Until the android consumer realizes that their phone will actually be faster if they put a bit less pressure on the developers and allow them to optimize their software to their hardware, we will never see the seamless integration we see on iPhones. People don't need any of the ridiculously overpowered specs that are coming out in phones these days to make the phone blazing fast. I would take 4 month old hardware that was perfectly optimized with the software ANY day over the cutting edge. (as long as it has LTE )
    Exactly! I was just commenting on this earlier in another (or maybe this?) thread. The numerous processors are to blame for most of the issues. I know people like choice, but when you have so many CPUs out there, it makes it very difficult for developers to get their apps working across all of them.

The ideal scenario would be to have 2 that compete against each other to drive the market (i.e. Intel and AMD), but right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, we have 5? Qualcomm, Samsung, TI, NVidia, and Intel (trying to break in with their new Atom). I might have even missed a couple. Regardless, it's too many. It's causing similar issues to the version fragmentation that Google is just now addressing.
    MasterGiraffe likes this.
    08-05-2011 08:12 AM
    Exactly! I was just commenting on this earlier in another (or maybe this?) thread. The numerous processors are to blame for most of the issues. I know people like choice, but when you have so many CPUs out there, it makes it very difficult for developers to get their apps working across all of them.

The ideal scenario would be to have 2 that compete against each other to drive the market (i.e. Intel and AMD), but right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, we have 5? Qualcomm, Samsung, TI, NVidia, and Intel (trying to break in with their new Atom). I might have even missed a couple. Regardless, it's too many. It's causing similar issues to the version fragmentation that Google is just now addressing.
    I completely agree. Sadly though I don't see this issue being solved until the technology advancement slows down a bit. Its moving at such a rapid rate that the software developers can't keep up. Eventually though, it will start to slow down and it will give manufacturers more time to pair their hardware and software together. Sadly that might not be any time soon though.

Even though it would kind of be against the entire android universe, I think Google needs to start putting restrictions on their operating system and how it can be used. I don't mean make it more closed from a development aspect, but they need to take a bit more charge of it. The reason why Apple is so successful, not counting their ad campaign which is obviously working very well, is because they do both the hardware and the software design internally. I think Google should do a full review of the processors that are out there and pick 1 or 2 for the following year that they think would be best for their phones. Maybe they shouldn't go as far as mandating that everyone uses those processors, but they should at least very strongly suggest that everyone uses them. This would give them a much better shot at optimizing their software. I think they kind of already do this, but they might want to take a bit stronger stance in this area. It would also make it easier on developers because they would know what to expect in every android phone that is coming out, regardless of carrier and manufacturer.

Sadly it would remove a bit of the choice and openness in the android community, but I think it would produce better phones in the end. It would still breed competition because everyone would be competing for the contract just like they do with Apple. It's not really Google's style though.
    08-05-2011 08:52 AM
214 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD