New Roadmap Leaked - Stratosphere 9/8

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I meant to bring that up earlier, that seemed crazy to me that a Revolution 2 was going on sale so soon after the first one released.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit that I am worrying slightly at the lack of info for the VZW S2. The window is starting to shrink if it is going for August. Don't know what to think about this Stratosphere launching the same day as the Bionic. There are differences between the Bionic and S2, but they both largely cater to the same crowd. Wouldn't make sense to me to release both on the same day unless this is just an issue of the Bionic delays and not wanting to delay the S2 as well because it would interfere with focus on the new iPhone that would launch soon. Only option after that is delaying the S2 until after the iPhone launch and risk pissing off Samsung and people waiting on this phone.

I'm fairly sure I said nothing new after typing this, so basically I agree with the people who said this first.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Slowie I don't think any of us think an August release is possible. The million dollar question is if the Stratosphere is the GS2.

Sent from my Droid

TeeSquar

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit that I am worrying slightly at the lack of info for the VZW S2. The window is starting to shrink if it is going for August. Don't know what to think about this Stratosphere launching the same day as the Bionic. There are differences between the Bionic and S2, but they both largely cater to the same crowd. Wouldn't make sense to me to release both on the same day unless this is just an issue of the Bionic delays and not wanting to delay the S2 as well because it would interfere with focus on the new iPhone that would launch soon. Only option after that is delaying the S2 until after the iPhone launch and risk pissing off Samsung and people waiting on this phone.

I'm fairly sure I said nothing new after typing this, so basically I agree with the people who said this first.

Yep. The Bionic seems to have kicked into gear in regard to "leaks". New photos or info every day or two now.

geeksbsmrt

Don't call me a nerd
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of people concerned about the phones releasing on the same date. This may actually be better for VZW. I say this because they will be releasing the phones from different manufacturers. Some people are very brand loyal and will not buy another brand. So, by releasing a Moto and Sammy phone on the same day it is possible to actually make more money than if they only released one phone. Capitalism at its finest: Give the market choices and only good things can come.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Well all I know is that BMX said it would only be 3G and I also know Bionic is in End user experience level testing at Verizon when the GS2 isn't. If they are supposed to launch the same day it should be there. Also not having an FCC final report yet doesnt help. I'm just super skeptical right now. Believe me I'd love an LTE GS2 to launch ASAP, I'm just not seeing much of a window of possiblity anymore.

Actually what BMX said was that the current generation of LTE chips would not fit into the current form factor of the GSII. Samsung could have come up with another LTE chip that could fit (didn't they use their own for the Charge?) or they could have made it thicker to accommodate. So, it's not out of the question that it can still be LTE.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really as worried about not having info from the FCC. If we are assuming that the GSII might be the Stratosphere then it would be releasing on the same day as the Bionic. Have we seen the FCC documentation on the Bionic? Maybe I am just way out of it and I missed the Bionic passing the FCC, but until the Bionic passes I'm not going to worry about the SGSII and/or Stratosphere passing the FCC. It still has a couple of weeks to make it through before I would start to worry.

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really as worried about not having info from the FCC. If we are assuming that the GSII might be the Stratosphere then it would be releasing on the same day as the Bionic. Have we seen the FCC documentation on the Bionic? Maybe I am just way out of it and I missed the Bionic passing the FCC, but until the Bionic passes I'm not going to worry about the SGSII and/or Stratosphere passing the FCC. It still has a couple of weeks to make it through before I would start to worry.

The Bionic passed through the FCC over a month ago

Did the Motorola Droid Bionic just clear the FCC? | Android Central

Also, the FCC confidentiality ends on Sunday.. unless Moto extends it of course.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Yes, the Bionic has gone through the FCC. But there's still time. Whatever the Stratosphere is, it hasnt gone through yet.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha oops I can't believe I missed something that important. :confused:

Well that pretty much makes my phone point invalid, but it's true there is still a bit of time before we have to panic. More pictures of the Bionic leaked also. It really does seem like there is a new leak of pictures every day. Its only a matter of time before it is officially announced. Hopefully the SGSII follows right after.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually what BMX said was that the current generation of LTE chips would not fit into the current form factor of the GSII. Samsung could have come up with another LTE chip that could fit (didn't they use their own for the Charge?) or they could have made it thicker to accommodate. So, it's not out of the question that it can still be LTE.

They used the VIA chip for the Charge. They do make their own LTE chip as well, yes.

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: DolfanCole

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Haha oops I can't believe I missed something that important. :confused:

Well that pretty much makes my phone point invalid, but it's true there is still a bit of time before we have to panic. More pictures of the Bionic leaked also. It really does seem like there is a new leak of pictures every day. Its only a matter of time before it is officially announced. Hopefully the SGSII follows right after.

Yeah, but my point is, the Stratosphere is scheduled for release the same day according to the roadmap. Whatever it ends up being, whether it's the GSII, slider, or whatever, the point is that it hasn't gone through the FCC, but yet it's still slated for the same release date as the Bionic. We should be seeing something soon to help decipher what the Stratosphere actually is.

shrugger

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Well all I know is that BMX said it would only be 3G and I also know Bionic is in End user experience level testing at Verizon when the GS2 isn't. If they are supposed to launch the same day it should be there. Also not having an FCC final report yet doesnt help. I'm just super skeptical right now. Believe me I'd love an LTE GS2 to launch ASAP, I'm just not seeing much of a window of possiblity anymore.

Except... Verizon is planning on releasing a Samsung device on Sep. 8. We don't know of the GS2 being in user testing, but we don't know of ANY Samsung device being in user testing.

So if the 9/8 release is correct, then either 1) Verizon has the Stratosphere in testing and we haven't had any leaks yet; or 2) they aren't doing the same level of testing on the Stratosphere as they are on Bionic.

If it's #1, there's no real reason to believe it is or isn't the GS2 vs. the slider. If it's #2, it makes it more likely it's the GS2 (a phone that has been widely tested around the world for months now- and only the Verizon-specific changes [LTE?] need to be tested out) than the slider.

So, if the 9/8 date is valid for a Samsung LTE device, it seems to me that it's as least as likely to be the GS2 as the slider based on what we know so far.

Jtav27

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Except... Verizon is planning on releasing a Samsung device on Sep. 8. We don't know of the GS2 being in user testing, but we don't know of ANY Samsung device being in user testing.

So if the 9/8 release is correct, then either 1) Verizon has the Stratosphere in testing and we haven't had any leaks yet; or 2) they aren't doing the same level of testing on the Stratosphere as they are on Bionic.

If it's #1, there's no real reason to believe it is or isn't the GS2 vs. the slider. If it's #2, it makes it more likely it's the GS2 (a phone that has been widely tested around the world for months now- and only the Verizon-specific changes [LTE?] need to be tested out) than the slider.

So, if the 9/8 date is valid for a Samsung LTE device, it seems to me that it's as least as likely to be the GS2 as the slider based on what we know so far.

I agree. I doubt they would require the same testing for a phone that has been out in the rest of the world for many months now. But if it is the slider with GS2 internals you would think they would need more than just a month of testing due to such a big change in structure.

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
If BMX said that its too thin for the LTE version, and that they need to make it bigger, maybe they made it bigger but then it was too thick and so they just threw in a keyboard. I don't know anymore....

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If BMX said that its too thin for the LTE version, and that they need to make it bigger, maybe they made it bigger but then it was too thick and so they just threw in a keyboard. I don't know anymore....

Nah. Its either as thick or thinner than the Charge

Sent from my Droid

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

iSeano Sean O'Brien
@
@black_man_x but will the galaxy s2 be an lte device. If so that's the selling point for me.
8 Jul
in reply to ↑

@black_man_x
The Panda King
@iSeano nope.. but 3g is still pretty nice... ok yea its not really..
8 Jul via web

PHoldridge7232 Patrick Holdridge
@
@black_man_x question is will it also be 4G LTE if it comes to Verizon like the bionic?
8 Jul
in reply to ↑

@black_man_x
The Panda King
@PHoldridge7232 nope...least not anytime soon.. charge is the sammy lte device.. n vzw doesnt love their customers that much.

and He also said there will be an epic 4g follow up (the slider) black_man_x The Panda King
@
@DiGTALDementia moto device is coming.. there is also a wp7 device coming that rather low end. there is also an Epic4g followup
10 Jul

He is adamant about it being only 3g.
Edit: And unfortunately I think all the evidence points to the stratosphere being the Epic slider and the device on the 29th being the GS2 as a 3g phone.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah well everyone is adamant about everything :)

Sit tight you will get an answer soon. Then we can put this discussion to bed.

Sent from my Droid

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah well everyone is adamant about everything :)

Sit tight you will get an answer soon. Then we can put this discussion to bed.

Sent from my Droid
He is a reliable source but I agree. Soon enough we will all find out and we can all go out day one and get a hot new phone...even if it isn't Verizon's version LOL.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Every "leaked" roadmap I've seen of late is inaccurate. BMX, though I don't want to believe him, may be right. I really want it to be 4g, but all the evidence points to 3g. I pray it isn't as much as ck. I have a rooted tb, but want a dual core powerhouse and root it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol