New Roadmap Leaked - Stratosphere 9/8

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm usually with you CK, but I have to disagree here. The Bionic and GSII are very similar devices. If you go down the list, the features are almost identical. Implementations are different such as pentile vs. SAMOLED+. But, things like form factor, screen size, memory capacity, CPU, etc., are nearly the same. Now, you and I put more weight into specific implementation details that the average consumer doesn't, and that helps us separate the two. But, to the average consumer, they're almost identical, with the screen being the biggest discriminator. This would especially be true if they are both 4G/LTE.

That said, the Bionic may be "marketed" towards a slightly different consumer with the webtop capabilities. But, that was such a failure that I don't really see that as a big discriminator and enough to edge it into being an "entirely different device".

Yes correct the implementation of the hardware is nearly identical so that is a wash. Keep in mind your average consumer can't be sold a tegra, ti omap or Exynos. They also can't be sold a super amoled or pentile for that matter. If it looks good to them they will buy it. So what makes the Bionic standout if it really is just another Android phone. WebTop and accessories. Those will be key selling points. The commercials (if there are any) will reflect the capabilities and the set ups at the stores will showcase the capabilities as well.

Its about capabilities and the GS2 or any other phone in verizons line up does not have these capabilities. Atrix was marketed as the most powerful smartphone on the market and why? Because of its capabilities. its like no other Android phone. Take away those capabilities and what do you have? Just another smart phone.

I agree with you when you say it (webtop) was a failure. 100% agree. I said above that its a waste and will kill sales regardless what new phone comes out at that time. Most people don't need that nonsense and will move onto another device in their line up be it the GS2 (if its released ) Charge, TB, DX2 etc etc. TB is just as new and exciting to your average consumer.

I had one guy tell me he was upgrading to the Thunderbolt because it was a "really cool phone." He had no concept of it being "old" or "outdated" let alone only a Single Core handset. We laugh but that's the way people are.

Sent from my Droid

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget about the Samsung Illusion on the list.
Remember that Samsung is using the GSII as a competitor for the iPhone 5. Apple doesn't care for 4G right now and Samsung might be following right along with that.
Adding 4G to VZWs GSII might be too much work for Samsung. They need the phone out sooner then later.

Then you also have to consider that Samsung is waiting to hear from the courts on whether or not they're allowed to release the GSII in America with that whole lawsuit with Apple going on.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Adding 4G to VZWs GSII might be too much work for Samsung. They need the phone out sooner then later.

Then you also have to consider that Samsung is waiting to hear from the courts on whether or not they're allowed to release the GSII in America with that whole lawsuit with Apple going on.

There has been plenty of time to add 4G to the American version of the phone. The phone launched internationally months ago.

I haven't read anything serious that Samsung is waiting due to litigation from Apple. That's just pure conjecture. Is it possible? I guess, but no one has stated that is happening.

I discount this whole Apple vs. Samsung. If Samsung was serious about positioning this phone against the iPhone they wouldn't have 3 different names for the phone. It's difficult to compete against the iPhone with three different phone names. It's just bad for marketing.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
People need to realize that the decision to make the phone LTE or not was decided months and months ago. They just didn't decide 2 months ago "Ok LTE or not?"

This decision was made a looooooong time ago folks.

fdkatz

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could get a combination of all these wonderful phones. 4g, virtual keyboard (i.e., thin), world phone. The best I seem to be able to do is two out of three. Screen and power? I don't see the differences as major on those factors.

Oh, and while I'm wishing, how about some straight talk from mfrs and carriers?

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
People need to realize that the decision to make the phone LTE or not was decided months and months ago. They just didn't decide 2 months ago "Ok LTE or not?"

This decision was made a looooooong time ago folks.

So why can't they just tell us?! :(

DashShiron

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I still want to know what's in the pipeline for August, I don't think Verizon has even gone an entire month without releasing at least one new device. Seems to me they'd want to jump on the whole "back to school" bandwagon.

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Are there any good arguments as to why the Stratosphere won't be the SGSII? Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but since the SGSII was launched into the stratosphere the following has happened: a new slider phone was leaked (with a wallpaper that looks a lot like outer space), a new mention of a "stratosphere" device, samsung sent out promo telescopes to look for the SGSII and now a leaked date of release for the mentioned Samsung Stratosphere.

I think those facts far outweight anything that goes against it being the SGSII.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Are there any good arguments as to why the Stratosphere won't be the SGSII? Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but since the SGSII was launched into the stratosphere the following has happened: a new slider phone was leaked (with a wallpaper that looks a lot like outer space), a new mention of a "stratosphere" device, samsung sent out promo telescopes to look for the SGSII and now a leaked date of release for the mentioned Samsung Stratosphere.

I think those facts far outweight anything that goes against it being the SGSII.

The best argument that I can come up with on why the Stratosphere is not the GSII is that it's launching the same day as the Bionic. I think that having a launch of two extremely similar devices (although not quite identical CK ;) ) would hurt the overall sales of both. That's why Verizon has traditionally separated the launch of new devices. Their basis (and I bet it's based on actual sales and research) is that the sum of overall combined sales is higher when device launches are separated versus together.

As far as the slider, I remember seeing leaks on the specs of the slider shortly after the first photos leaked. And the leaked specs showed that the slider was just of a mid-level phone. So, if the specs were true, then the slider is not the GSII variant for Verizon. Although that doesn't say anything about either actually being the Stratosphere.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes correct the implementation of the hardware is nearly identical so that is a wash. Keep in mind your average consumer can't be sold a tegra, ti omap or Exynos. They also can't be sold a super amoled or pentile for that matter. If it looks good to them they will buy it. So what makes the Bionic standout if it really is just another Android phone. WebTop and accessories. Those will be key selling points. The commercials (if there are any) will reflect the capabilities and the set ups at the stores will showcase the capabilities as well.

Its about capabilities and the GS2 or any other phone in verizons line up does not have these capabilities. Atrix was marketed as the most powerful smartphone on the market and why? Because of its capabilities. its like no other Android phone. Take away those capabilities and what do you have? Just another smart phone.

I agree with you when you say it (webtop) was a failure. 100% agree. I said above that its a waste and will kill sales regardless what new phone comes out at that time. Most people don't need that nonsense and will move onto another device in their line up be it the GS2 (if its released ) Charge, TB, DX2 etc etc. TB is just as new and exciting to your average consumer.

I had one guy tell me he was upgrading to the Thunderbolt because it was a "really cool phone." He had no concept of it being "old" or "outdated" let alone only a Single Core handset. We laugh but that's the way people are.

Sent from my Droid

Correct. And I agree that the marketing will be more towards the WebTop capabilities for the Bionic. But, that doesn't discount the fact that the two devices are quite similar, particularly when you look at them from the average consumer's perspective. And that's what I had an issue with in your post that stated the two devices were entirely different. Based on your post though, I have a feeling that you didn't mean it the way that it came across.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I just really hope it doesn't come Bing'ed out. I know I know, it's easy for US to root and remove Bing but what about normal consumers? I would LOVE to recommend the GSII once it hits but I don't think I can recommend a phone that has Bing on it to anyone in the Market for a Google device.

Wasn't there a rumor the Bing contract was up? That would make the Revolution and the G'Zone the last two Bing phones.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget about the Samsung Illusion on the list.
Remember that Samsung is using the GSII as a competitor for the iPhone 5. Apple doesn't care for 4G right now and Samsung might be following right along with that.

I feel like it would be very very misguided to "follow along" with Apple not adopting 4G. It is very clear that people don't even look at the specs of phones when they purchase an iPhone and they have a huge cult following that will buy the phone regardless. If you compete head to head with the iPhone you will lose every single time. I think all of the android supporting companies realize that the only way you can possibly compete with the iPhone is by having a phone that is so utterly superior that it forces them to take at least a second look at it. We already know that 1/3 of iPhone owners think that their phone has 4G already, and I have friends who recently told me that they were going to buy the iPhone 5 because Apple was the first to release 5G technology....:confused:

Anyways though as CK said if they added 4G to the SGSII it was done a long time ago. They were putting 4G into the U.S. versions back before it released in the rest of the world. It is definitely not a time constraint problem.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The best argument that I can come up with on why the Stratosphere is not the GSII is that it's launching the same day as the Bionic. I think that having a launch of two extremely similar devices (although not quite identical CK ;) ) would hurt the overall sales of both. That's why Verizon has traditionally separated the launch of new devices. Their basis (and I bet it's based on actual sales and research) is that the sum of overall combined sales is higher when device launches are separated versus together.

As far as the slider, I remember seeing leaks on the specs of the slider shortly after the first photos leaked. And the leaked specs showed that the slider was just of a mid-level phone. So, if the specs were true, then the slider is not the GSII variant for Verizon. Although that doesn't say anything about either actually being the Stratosphere.

I agree with the argument that VZW will not release two phones so similar. Therefore I believe what will come out on 9/8 (assuming there are not delays) will be the slider we saw in the picture. It would be a good release day for VZW. Two devices that appeal to two different crowds.

So then the is the question is the slider the GS2 variant for VZW. I think there is a good chance is it. One thing to note about the leak of the slider is that the only thing we know are what we can see. The specs were told by word of mouth (or word of keyboard) and could just be wrong. Anything on the about screen can easily be faked. Also do androids with dual core processors actually say dual core on the about screen? The tipster could simply be wrong on the specs. All we know is that it is an LTE slider. The background also happens to be of space (rather stratospheric).

The name stratosphere definitely points to the GS2 considering the shipped telescopes, launching an SGS2 into the stratosphere ect.

Put all this together and I say the Stratosphere launching on 9/8 is the SGS2 variant and it is the leaked slider. So where do I place my bet? :)

If it really is coming on 9/8 we should see it through the FCC very soon. Hoping that something will come out this month (since the roadmap starts in sept) might just be wishful thinking, as there has been nothing through the FCC recently. The FCC filing will hopefully tell us if it is the slider. If got my fingers crossed for a QWERTY. :)

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I also realize that changing the look and adding a QWERTY makes it not really an SGS2 anymore. It is a different phone from the wildly popular global SGS2. But Verizon (like every other US carrier) is not concerned with carrying on the brand name. They are their own brand. The average consumer does not know what the SGS2 is, they just want a cool phone. Verizon does not want people to think they can get the same exact phone from another carrier. VZW wants to be the exclusive provider of the Samsung Stratosphere, not just another carrier with the SGS2. Us techies want the SGS2, so VZW said they will have it. Just their own version of it. It seems Apple is the only company they will bend over backwards for. It wasnt long ago that the phones they sold didnt even cary manufacturer branding. They were just Verizon phones. Then HTC decided to establish their brand.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I wish we could quit calling the slider a GS2 variant. It's not. A slider is a different kind of a phone for a different audience. We know there's a slider out there, but it could just be a test device. There's a slider for AT&T, but we also know it's not the GS2.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish we could quit calling the slider a GS2 variant. It's not. A slider is a different kind of a phone for a different audience. We know there's a slider out there, but it could just be a test device. There's a slider for AT&T, but we also know it's not the GS2.
Thats the point of the word variant :). The epic 4G with a keyboard is sprints version of the original galaxy s. That is the point I am making. US carriers are not releasing the same phone from the international version. They want their own version of it. Thats why it takes so long to get the phone here. We have already seen the Sprint version come through the FCC thicker and taller to fit a bigger battery and Wimax radio.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Thats the point of the word variant :). The epic 4G with a keyboard is sprints version of the original galaxy s. That is the point I am making. US carriers are not releasing the same phone from the international version. They want their own version of it. Thats why it takes so long to get the phone here. We have already seen the Sprint version come through the FCC thicker and taller to fit a bigger battery and Wimax radio.

Changing the phone's size slightly to accommodate the radio is different than a completely different phone. The only thing that the slider has in common with the GS2 is the manufacturer.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Changing the phone's size slightly to accommodate the radio is different than a completely different phone. The only thing that the slider has in common with the GS2 is the manufacturer.
And potentially the specs. Like I said, could be the same situation as the Epic 4G.

Of course, I dont claim to know that this is the case, I am just pointing out that it is a very likely case. And I hope it is the case :).

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

I think what you're saying goes too far. If the slider is the "GSII variant", and the internals are all the same as all other variants (with the exception of the radios to suit the carrier), then it's still a GSII in my mind. For instance, one of the biggest things that drew me to the GSII was the performance, both from a hardware and software standpoint. Now, if the internals are the same (CPU, memory, etc.), the screen is the same, interface is the same, etc., then adding a physical keyboard shouldn't change the performance and shouldn't change the fact that it's still a GSII.