08-17-2011 07:46 AM
60 123
tools
    Verizons is the Celox.

Celox has a larger display and better technical specifications than Galaxy S. The device sports a 4.5-inch display with 800x480 screen resolution and 800MHz LTE support.

The device will run on a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 chipset. 1750 Li-ion battery of Celox is also another key feature.
    Uh, no. The APQ processing family isn't for use in phones. You will never see a phone that uses it, because it doesn't have integrated baseband chips. There's a reason why companies like qualcomm package their SoCs with baseband chips in them; they're not about to change that, and samsung isn't either.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    08-14-2011 10:27 PM
    Search Google news for "samsung galaxy s II"

Tons of speculation and reports today.

Uh, no. The APQ processing family isn't for use in phones. You will never see a phone that uses it, because it doesn't have integrated baseband chips. There's a reason why companies like qualcomm package their SoCs with baseband chips in them; they're not about to change that, and samsung isn't either.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    08-14-2011 11:53 PM
    If it's released as 4g LTE - which phone will be better the Samsung or Bionic?
    08-15-2011 12:10 AM
    That's subjective....

I have no use for BloatTop, blur, pentile LCD and a locked bootloader so for me the GSII is a better device.

Sent from my Droid
    08-15-2011 12:33 AM
    Search Google news for "samsung galaxy s II"

Tons of speculation and reports today.
    Its nothing more than speculation. You need look no further than Qualcomm's own product page for the APQ for proof that it will not be used in a phone. Essentially, the APQ processing family is a fully-fledged Snapdragon with the connectivity options stripped out. It also lacks many of the power-management features necessary for smaller form factors like phones. Or to put it another way; its a Snapdragon that was designed specifically for tablets, not phones.

It would make zero sense for Samsung to choose an APQ over an 8660, because the APQ does not have integrated basebands. Adding their own would be costly and inefficient, which is exactly the opposite of what they would need for a power-hungry LTE device.
    08-15-2011 01:24 AM
    Well since google acquired moto that could mean blur free and unlocked bootloaders.
    08-15-2011 09:40 AM
    Well since google acquired moto that could mean blur free and unlocked bootloaders.
    Regardless of what the acquisition means for the possible development of future motorola phones Bionic is too far along in it's cycle to have any effect from this.
    08-15-2011 09:45 AM
    Regardless of what the acquisition means for the possible development of future motorola phones Bionic is too far along in it's cycle to have any effect from this.
    Well yeah but it could have more of an impact of the bootloaders getting the sbf to be unlocked. I was more saying for future moto phones. If you want to wait I would wait and see what the vigor and revolution 2 turn out to be they are looking like nice phones and what is waiting 1 more month and possibly even less than that with the rate at samsung is going.
    08-15-2011 10:11 AM
    Its nothing more than speculation. You need look no further than Qualcomm's own product page for the APQ for proof that it will not be used in a phone. Essentially, the APQ processing family is a fully-fledged Snapdragon with the connectivity options stripped out. It also lacks many of the power-management features necessary for smaller form factors like phones. Or to put it another way; its a Snapdragon that was designed specifically for tablets, not phones.

It would make zero sense for Samsung to choose an APQ over an 8660, because the APQ does not have integrated basebands. Adding their own would be costly and inefficient, which is exactly the opposite of what they would need for a power-hungry LTE device.
    See image here: Samsung Galaxy S II gets an LTE version codenamed Celox, spotted in Korea

It specifies the APQ8060 which is, indeed a dual core Scorpion with no baseband.

However, the baseband is noted as the MDM9200 which is just the single mode GSM/HSPA/LTE modem.

There is currently no Snapdragon SoC with LTE integrated, so this is actually probably the most efficient way to go.

The alternatives being:
    * Use a SoC with an included baseband (see: Thunderbolt, Charge, et al).. even less efficient than using AP + BB
    * Wait for SoC with included LTE baseband (this won't happen until Krait).. probably not this year

Just some thoughts..
    08-15-2011 11:11 AM
    Samsung Celox with 4G LTE Makes Real World Appearance, Physical Button Removed - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    Maybe this will be the version the us carriers will get since they removed the home button?
    08-15-2011 04:28 PM
    Samsung Celox with 4G LTE Makes Real World Appearance, Physical Button Removed - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    Maybe this will be the version the us carriers will get since they removed the home button?
    Why can't they just leave the home buttons? I'm all disoriented my t-bolt has menu and home backwards, my Gf has a vibrant and my friends galaxy s is perfect...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    08-15-2011 05:19 PM
    Nobody knows but its certainly not far fetched. I personally think it will be. But that's just me.

Sent from my Droid
    08-15-2011 05:46 PM
    Nobody knows but its certainly not far fetched. I personally think it will be. But that's just me.

Sent from my Droid
    Well the 4.5 inch super sexy-moled screen will be welcome and hope the snapdragon is a beast that doesn't drain battery like the thunderbolt proc.

08-15-2011 05:53 PM
    Well the 4.5 inch super sexy-moled screen will be welcome and hope the snapdragon is a beast that doesn't drain battery like the thunderbolt proc.

Snapdragon is whats in the tbolt. Snapdragon is a battery hog look at the Dual core version in evo 3d and sensation. Not much better battery life with those.
    08-15-2011 06:03 PM
    I still believe, based on rumored hardware, that its one of the new ATT lte devices
    08-15-2011 06:22 PM
    I still believe, based on rumored hardware, that its one of the new ATT lte devices
    There's the rub. It very well could be.

Sent from my Droid
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    08-15-2011 07:27 PM
    There's the rub. It very well could be.

Sent from my Droid
    I really hope Verizon version is LTE and badass. I'm ready. This thunderbolt is ok, but I am ready for the galaxy.
    08-15-2011 07:40 PM
    I really hope Verizon version is LTE and badass. I'm ready. This thunderbolt is ok, but I am ready for the galaxy.
    it will be no worries.

Sent from my Droid
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    08-15-2011 07:46 PM
    it will be no worries.

Sent from my Droid
    And you know this how?
    08-15-2011 08:33 PM
    See image here: Samsung Galaxy S II gets an LTE version codenamed Celox, spotted in Korea

It specifies the APQ8060 which is, indeed a dual core Scorpion with no baseband.

However, the baseband is noted as the MDM9200 which is just the single mode GSM/HSPA/LTE modem.

There is currently no Snapdragon SoC with LTE integrated, so this is actually probably the most efficient way to go.

The alternatives being:
    * Use a SoC with an included baseband (see: Thunderbolt, Charge, et al).. even less efficient than using AP + BB
    * Wait for SoC with included LTE baseband (this won't happen until Krait).. probably not this year

Just some thoughts..
    Again, speculation. They are guessing that that's whats in the phone.

I'll say it again; the APQ family will not be used in any phone, anywhere. The baseband they identify can ONLY be used in phones in conjunction with an 8x55 or 8x60 Snapdragon SoC, or in data cards.

Oh, and your efficiency argument cracks me up; The LTE chip on its own uses plenty of power in its current iteration, and you're suggesting a strap-on, jerry-rigged solution that uses the modem for a data card and a power hungry tablet-oriented AP would somehow be lighter on the consumption?

Here's a clue why they won't go down that road; Qualcomm itself prefers the current set-up of the Thunderbolt, et al. because it is MORE efficient than separating the AP and the modems. The more integration, the better for power management.

Or, they could shock us all and use an 8960 and smoke every other smartphone on the planet.
    08-15-2011 08:45 PM
    Snapdragon is whats in the tbolt. Snapdragon is a battery hog look at the Dual core version in evo 3d and sensation. Not much better battery life with those.
    Do you think its worth getting then? I mean I've been waiting since March, but it kinda sounds like a nightmare unless rooted.

08-15-2011 08:52 PM
    Not very likely, for a number of reasons. The biggest is that we haven't yet seen an LTE modem that can make use of AT&T's dual 700/AWS bands. It doesn't mean that it won't happen, it just isn't likely.

Well, that and the first LTE phones for AT&T aren't due for a while, and this is ready to go now.
    08-15-2011 08:57 PM
    Do you think its worth getting then? I mean I've been waiting since March, but it kinda sounds like a nightmare unless rooted.

He needs to correct his statement:

Snapdragon is a battery hog in devices with HTC Sense. HTC is the most prolific user of Snapdragon chipsets, so that's why people have come to think that Snapdragon=bad battery life.
    08-15-2011 08:59 PM
    Not very likely, for a number of reasons. The biggest is that we haven't yet seen an LTE modem that can make use of AT&T's dual 700/AWS bands. It doesn't mean that it won't happen, it just isn't likely.

Well, that and the first LTE phones for AT&T aren't due for a while, and this is ready to go now.
    Makes sense. I just meant LTE/gsm/hspa is more along the lines of ATT. VZW is evdo, cdma, and lte. There are a lot of people, that think because this RUMORED device is LTE, its for VZW. What they aren't thinking about is if the rumor is true LTE,gsm, hspa and it IS coming to a US network, ATT is the only us company using it.

Another thing is you can't test a phone with hspa, gsm then slap a evdo, cdma chip and expect it to work the same. There is no way any company would test a phone with one chip then change to another.

I honesty don't put much faith in rumors. Release dates never hold up to be correct and neither does hardware. Remember when targa was rumored to have a quad core? Remember when mecca was dual core? LOL.
    08-15-2011 09:13 PM

Well other than the battery issues the tb is a great phone with a huge dev following if you like to root. I think the newer phones will be a little better since they wont be the first step into making an lte phone.
    08-15-2011 09:31 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD