Nexus-4.0 made by LG ?

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I still lean towards Samsung. Samsung hasn't been afraid to use other companies' chipsets in the past, as evidenced by their use of Tegra 2 chips in the SGS II and SGT 10.1. Plus, Phil seemed extremely certain it would be Samsung, even going as far as to say that he considered it, for all intents and purposes, confirmed.

Reactions: redraider133

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's from BMX - he's been tweeting with hints about LG and dropping at end of Nov with ICS.

Those tweets just said about optimus which doesnt mean lg it makes more sense optimus prime(transformers) than being lg since all the other rumors were pointing toward samsung but I guess we shall see. Honestly Idc who makes it as long as it comes to verizon.

Reactions: EggoEspada

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If i hear enough about it being a top of the line Verizon phone, I would not mind waiting a little bit longer. My upgrade has been since Dec so I can wait a little while longer if the specs are right.

Come on LG, give me a reason.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If i hear enough about it being a top of the line Verizon phone, I would not mind waiting a little bit longer. My upgrade has been since Dec so I can wait a little while longer if the specs are right.

Come on LG, give me a reason.

I think since it will be the nexus the rumored specs would make it top of the line. I am due for an upgrade now and will wait and see what is coming out in the next few months and if anymore info leaks about it coming to verizon then I can wait. Otherwise I will get one of the upcoming phones and then if it isnt coming out until early next year I would sell it and grab that if it blows me away.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I think since it will be the nexus the rumored specs would make it top of the line. I am due for an upgrade now and will wait and see what is coming out in the next few months and if anymore info leaks about it coming to verizon then I can wait. Otherwise I will get one of the upcoming phones and then if it isnt coming out until early next year I would sell it and grab that if it blows me away.

I'm not betting on the specs being anything special. Nexus phones have never paved the way with hardware specs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nexus S didn't even have a mSD slot. Their main allure is having no-fuss updates and being completely vanilla. Which can also be obtained by any other phone with an unlocked bootloader and a vanilla rom. I've always wanted a Nexus device that was the flagship of all carriers with superior specs and, of course, software. The market just moves too fast for something like that, though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not betting on the specs being anything special. Nexus phones have never paved the way with hardware specs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nexus S didn't even have a mSD slot. Their main allure is having no-fuss updates and being completely vanilla. Which can also be obtained by any other phone with an unlocked bootloader and a vanilla rom. I've always wanted a Nexus device that was the flagship of all carriers with superior specs and, of course, software. The market just moves too fast for something like that, though.

The nexus one was at the time top of the line specs wise and brought about a new standard for high end smart phone specs.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Both Nexus phones paved the way for processors I believe. No microSD for the S was an interesting thought, but considering when it came out 32gb cards were just coming out and expensive, I wouldn't use that as a reason to say anything negative about the specs. The Nexus has always been ahead or the curve hardware wise in my opinion.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
The nexus one was at the time top of the line specs wise and brought about a new standard for high end smart phone specs.

The HTC HD2 released with the same specs as the Nexus One and had a 4.3 screen in November '09. It might have been the first Android to sport those specs, but I believe the OG Droid set a new bar for high end Android phones.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The HTC HD2 released with the same specs as the Nexus One and had a 4.3 screen in November '09. It might have been the first Android to sport those specs, but I believe the OG Droid set a new bar for high end Android phones.

The nexus one had better specs than the og droid. All I am saying is that after the nexus 1, camera mp went up, screen tech/size went up, 1ghz processor was pretty much the standard for high end smart phones. So it was pretty groundbreaking in that means.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Both Nexus phones paved the way for processors I believe. No microSD for the S was an interesting thought, but considering when it came out 32gb cards were just coming out and expensive, I wouldn't use that as a reason to say anything negative about the specs. The Nexus has always been ahead or the curve hardware wise in my opinion.

The Galaxy S had the same specs about 6 months beforehand. I believe the only difference is the screen and it being the first phone to launch with GB. I'm not saying anything negative. Just that it wasn't ahead of the curve. It seemed to be right in the middle. Aside from the OG Nexus, Google seems to launch their phones around major software updates rather than major hardware innovations.

The nexus one had better specs than the og droid. All I am saying is that after the nexus 1, camera mp went up, screen tech/size went up, 1ghz processor was pretty much the standard for high end smart phones. So it was pretty groundbreaking in that means.

This is true, but I was just referring to the success of Android devices in general. Although, the Nexus didn't improve on the camera or the screen size as they were both the same as the OG Droid. If anything the HD2 would be the biggest inspiration since it has all the internals of the Nexus in combination with a larger screen.

I'm not trying to knock the Nexus brand, I'm just stating my opinion on what I think a Google device should be. I believe it should lead in both hardware and software.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy S had the same specs about 6 months beforehand. I believe the only difference is the screen and it being the first phone to launch with GB. I'm not saying anything negative. Just that it wasn't ahead of the curve. It seemed to be right in the middle. Aside from the OG Nexus, Google seems to launch their phones around major software updates rather than major hardware innovations.

This is true, but I was just referring to the success of Android devices in general. Although, the Nexus didn't improve on the camera or the screen size as they were both the same as the OG Droid. If anything the HD2 would be the biggest inspiration since it has all the internals of the Nexus in combination with a larger screen.

I'm not trying to knock the Nexus brand, I'm just stating my opinion on what I think a Google device should be. I believe it should lead in both hardware and software.

I agree with you and I feel that with the upcoming nexus from what was rumored and this is all rumors it seemed that the prime would be breakthrough spec wise. Then again by the time it releases it could be right in the middle of phones launching with similar specs.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you and I feel that with the upcoming nexus from what was rumored and this is all rumors it seemed that the prime would be breakthrough spec wise. Then again by the time it releases it could be right in the middle of phones launching with similar specs.

The never ending story. :p I have nothing against LG making the phone, and I hear they've got some pretty nice displays. I'm not sure that the design would be as sleek as something Sammy would make, though.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

You're right, I somehow completely forgot about those phones. Big brain fart. To be fair though, there was nothing really out better than the Hummingbird when they were developing the S as far as I know...but I could be wrong again.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You're right, I somehow completely forgot about those phones. Big brain fart. To be fair though, there was nothing really out better than the Hummingbird when they were developing the S as far as I know...but I could be wrong again.

Yea, it was the best avaiable. If they waited a month or two, they could have put Terga 2 in it, but really, that processor is all hype when compAred to other processors.

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
While this will have nothing to do with the next Nexus...LG does a pretty decent combination of TW and a stock Google UI for the most part.
They are the only other company I would buy an android from. I like the Revolution a lot. The screen is good but only lacks the contrast of a Samsung.

I would be happy to see LG make the Prime.
And I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is LG that makes the iPhone Retina display. Apple designed it but LG constructs it.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE

KittenMittens

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know where all this talk about LG is coming from. Let me try and bust some myths here...

Myth #1. Google will choose a different company for each Nexus.

I don't think anyone at Google has ever stated this specifically, if so please post a link. There have only been two Nexus phones so far so not really anything to go by, although if you think about it, the HTC G1 and later the HTC Magic were each the developer phone for Android for a period of time before they did the Nexus One, so if we're looking for patterns, I don't really see anything that says Google avoids partnering with the same company.

Myth #2. Samsung doesn't/wouldn't use a Texus Instruments processor.

This is irrelevant for two reasons...
A.) Although Samsung does make their own chips that is an entirely separate division of the company, the part of Samsung that makes phones actually chooses which chips to use between a number of chipmakers just like any other manufacturer, and if they decide to use Samsung chips they actually have to bid against other companies to get those chips. And although Samsung hasn't had a record of using Texas Instruments chips specifically, this pretty much means nothing because they certainly don't have a record of continuously using any one chipmaker. They've recently used Tegra 2 in the new Galaxy Tabs and in some versions of the Galaxy S II, and even a Qualcomm Snapdragon in the upcoming Samsung Hercules (T-Mobile's Galaxy S II), so I see no reason why TI means it couldn't be Samsung.
B.) Google chooses which processor is going to be the reference platform for a given software release, which is going to be Texas Instruments for Ice Cream Sandwich just like they chose Tegra 2 for Honeycomb. Have you noticed how pretty much all the Honeycomb tablets run on Tegra 2? There is a reason for that. Also, Google chooses the processor in the Nexus devices, not the manufacturer. Do you think that Samsung would turn down the opportunity to make the next Nexus because TI was chosen as the reference platform? I seriously doubt that. And if we're looking for patterns, as I've already stated they used Tegra 2 in the Galaxy Tab even after Exynos was available simply because Tegra 2 was the reference platform for Honeycomb, so if anything they at least have a record of going with the reference platform.

I remember the rumors of LG possibly being the next manufacturer way back when Andy Rubin talked about a Nexus 3, but there was no evidence, just as right now it seems all the rumors popping up again of LG are based around TI being chosen as the reference platform, which doesn't really mean anything as far as this is concerned. The only thing we really have right now is Phil's source that says Samsung will be the manufacturer, and obviously no one really knows for sure yet, but until new evidence arises that says otherwise, this is all we have to go by.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know where all this talk about LG is coming from. Let me try and bust some myths here...

I remember the rumors of LG possibly being the next manufacturer way back when Andy Rubin talked about a Nexus 3, but there was no evidence, just as right now it seems all the rumors popping up again of LG are based around TI being chosen as the reference platform, which doesn't really mean anything as far as this is concerned. The only thing we really have right now is Phil's source that says Samsung will be the manufacturer, and obviously no one really knows for sure yet, but until new evidence arises that says otherwise, this is all we have to go by.

Twitter rumors. That being said, they're all just rumors at this point
Sent from my Transformer

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
People, please stop with the "Optimus Prime" stuff. The word "Prime" means a lot more than just Transformers, and if LG was trying to use the Transformers as a marketing campaign then they would have to be paying Hasbro A LOT of money.

Reactions: EggoEspada

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...ok, but I just can't see an HTC phone without a Qualcom processor, or Samsung using a Texas Instruments cpu just doesn't make business sense, if they can just make their own.

I have a strong feeling the Nexus-Three will be made by LG, I prefer Samsung myself, but have heard that LG is making some bad ass screens lately, and have new stuff in the works to rival Super AMOELD+. And LG already using Texas Inst. cpu's currently in their phones, and that Google has rumored the next Nexus will have a TI processor, it is seeming to add up ?
Can you see sammy using a Snapdragon ? http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-celox-lte-toting-galaxy-phone-captured-camera