my plan

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Well my Droid Eris is about done, I can't make it too much longer waiting for the GS2 so I needed a plan....

I am going to get the Droid 3 tomorrow (8/9/11) from Best Buy. 30 days from then is the supposed launch date of what I believe the GS2 will be (9/8/11). If it does in fact launch that day and is $249 or less, I will return the Droid 3 and be as happy as a little school girl. If not, at least I have had my 2nd choice phone for a month already.

Has anyone had any experience with returning phones to Best Buy?

DashShiron

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Same plan here, but I'm waiting until the 12th to decide buy it. If it ends up coming out in August then I'll return my Droid 3 and pick it up, otherwise I'll just hold on to the Droid and upgrade off-contract when the latest and greatest is released next year and 4G might actually be available in my area.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
yup - verizon changed their return policy to 14 days not long before the thunderbolt came out (probably should have been a red flag about the tbolt... haha)

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
If you going to do thatbsign up for the buy back program.

how does that work?

I checked their website, and it had a 30 day return policy. I wonder how many different times I can do that with phones until the GS2 comes out. haha

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
how does that work?

I checked their website, and it had a 30 day return policy. I wonder how many different times I can do that with phones until the GS2 comes out. haha

My understanding is that Verizon has 14-day return without penalty (ETF). Best Buy, I believe, goes by the carrier policy on returns without penalty (as does Costco). Best Buy's policy on the website however is unclear. It almost seems that you have 30-day to return the phone, although, you'd still be held to the 14-day return without penalty. So, anything after 14-days, and you pay the ETF with Verizon, or pay full retail for the new phone.

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Plan is busted.

I went to Best Buy on my lunch break and they do not carry the Droid3 in stores. I asked the guy about the galaxy s2 and he said "from what we are told, we are expecting it this month, but it hasn't shipped yet" he looked at his computer to see if had shipped.

He said that all carriers are getting their own version, and that Tmobile is getting theirs in the middle of september.

He seemed pretty confident and didnt seem to be BSing, but who the heck knows. He actually told me to go to this website if I ever want to check the status of phones:

New FCC Approvals (Phone Scoop)

I dont know too much about the FCC, but there are several Samsung phones listed on there.

Reactions: DolfanCole

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
how does that work?

The bestbuy buyback program essentially works like a return policy except they give you money back after the 30 days. I am not sure about their policy before 30 days though. After 30 days they give you a percentage of the retail (not the contract) price back for your phone. Here are the details from their site. The money is given back to you in the form of a bestbuy gift card though so you would have to spend the money at bestbuy. The program also costs a one time fee of $60.

To sum it all up you could buy a droid 3 from best buy using your upgrade credit if you have one and pay the $200 ($650 retail) for the phone. If you wish to return the phone after the 30 day grace period you still get money for your phone. If you return it within 6 months of purchase you will recieve 50% of retail price, or $325, and it goes down from there in increments of 6 months. You can then use that gift card to buy your next phone at best buy, but you wont have your upgrade credit so you will have to pay the retail price for the phone.

I'm not sure if this is actually worth it. You ended up only gaining $65 by using their program because it cost $60 just to enter the program in the first place. Also you would have used your upgrade credit in the process.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Plan is busted.

I went to Best Buy on my lunch break and they do not carry the Droid3 in stores. I asked the guy about the galaxy s2 and he said "from what we are told, we are expecting it this month, but it hasn't shipped yet" he looked at his computer to see if had shipped.

He said that all carriers are getting their own version, and that Tmobile is getting theirs in the middle of september.

He seemed pretty confident and didnt seem to be BSing, but who the heck knows. He actually told me to go to this website if I ever want to check the status of phones:

I dont know too much about the FCC, but there are several Samsung phones listed on there.

From the Samsung phones on their site there are two that I know more about and one I don't know as much about. The SGH-i777 is a phone that is GSM and has been thought to be going to AT&T. The SPH-D710 is the SGSII version for Sprint that has WIMAX. The one that I don' t know as much about is the SPH-M930. This is a CDMA phone and does not have LTE or WIMAX. From what I can gather from the forms though it looks like the phone is going to be on Sprint's network.

Sadly I don't think any of the phones that the site has listed are going to be coming to Verizon, which brings us right back to the beginning. Once again we know nothing :'(

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Well my Droid Eris is about done, I can't make it too much longer waiting for the GS2 so I needed a plan....

I am going to get the Droid 3 tomorrow (8/9/11) from Best Buy. 30 days from then is the supposed launch date of what I believe the GS2 will be (9/8/11). If it does in fact launch that day and is $249 or less, I will return the Droid 3 and be as happy as a little school girl. If not, at least I have had my 2nd choice phone for a month already.

Has anyone had any experience with returning phones to Best Buy?

edit: (never mind) i accidentally posted in the wrong thread lol i have too many open in Chrome lol

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From the Samsung phones on their site there are two that I know more about and one I don't know as much about. The SGH-i777 is a phone that is GSM and has been thought to be going to AT&T. The SPH-D710 is the SGSII version for Sprint that has WIMAX. The one that I don' t know as much about is the SPH-M930. This is a CDMA phone and does not have LTE or WIMAX. From what I can gather from the forms though it looks like the phone is going to be on Sprint's network.

Sadly I don't think any of the phones that the site has listed are going to be coming to Verizon, which brings us right back to the beginning. Once again we know nothing :'(
Sph-m930 is that boost mobile slider.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy Exchange and Return Period:

Exchange or return your item anytime from the original purchase date within the timeframe below:

* 14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, iPads, tablets and radar detectors
* 30 days for all other products
* 45 days for all products for Reward Zone Program Premier Silver members*

BB quietly ditched their restocking fee policy on mobile phones late last year.

boondoc

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
that's what i did when i bought an infuse a back in may and was hoping for a july release of the gs2. you can see how well that turned out. best buy's return policy is what counts. ATT also has a 14 day policy but i kept the infuse until the 29th day and was able to return it. of course this was and ATT phone and not a Verizon so YMMV.

2 things though: 1. pay cash. that way you don't have to wait for them to credit it back to your account. 2. make sure you take the phone over to the mobile desk not to regular customer service. i took mine to cust service and got my refund then went over to the mobile center to see how long it would take for my upgrade to be reset. the only guy working there mind you, told me it would take 3 to 5 days. what he didn't tell me was that it wasn't automatic. they actually have to call ATT and give them your info + imei and that's when the timer starts. i waited 2 weeks and finally called ATT and they told me i had to go into the store and get it sorted out.

so keep that in mind if you get it and find out that gs2 comes out a couple of days after your return period ends. you should take the d3 back about a week before just to give them time to reset your contract.

labs point

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Plan is busted.

gregba,

Have you instituted your plan yet? I am in exactly the same boat and I don't think I can wait till the 29th to see what Samsung has to say. I am about to head to Best Buy right now and pick up the best phone of VZW's that they carry. My Eris is real buggy these days.

Today being the 13th I would have two weeks to return today's purchase and still retain my upgrade. Yikes that only gets me to the 27th. But if I took the chance that the SGS 2 is out within thirty days I could take that risk. BB allows a straight exchange if you go past the two weeks. That means I would be taking whatever best phone they have in 30 days, Bionic or SGS 2. Not sure if I should take the chance on the SGS 2 not being there in 30 days.

This is killing me. Anyone have any other ideas?

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my phone is also getting really buggy and I am thinking more and more about doing something like this. My only issue is we have already had so many delays and letdowns that I feel like it would be a very bad idea to go out on a limb. If you think there is no possible way your phone can last and this is your only option then I guess your hand is forced, but I think I am going to wait a bit longer. My phone is dying, but I can probably get two or so weeks out of it. That will give me the entire week of September (almost) to make a decision and choose a new phone. I would say that you should at least try to wait one more week to do this.

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
gregba,

Have you instituted your plan yet? I am in exactly the same boat and I don't think I can wait till the 29th to see what Samsung has to say. I am about to head to Best Buy right now and pick up the best phone of VZW's that they carry. My Eris is real buggy these days.

Today being the 13th I would have two weeks to return today's purchase and still retain my upgrade. Yikes that only gets me to the 27th. But if I took the chance that the SGS 2 is out within thirty days I could take that risk. BB allows a straight exchange if you go past the two weeks. That means I would be taking whatever best phone they have in 30 days, Bionic or SGS 2. Not sure if I should take the chance on the SGS 2 not being there in 30 days.

I went into best buy to do it, but they didnt sell the Droid 3 in stores, so I scrapped my plan entirely. I will just use my POS Eris until the SGS2 comes out. I'd rather not let something stupid happen with the returning of the phone and possibly lose out on getting the GS2.

Thanks for everyones advice though.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
gregba,

If you absolutely must do something get something on craigslist to use for a few weeks then sell it once gs2 cones out. Shouldn't lose much if any money that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae