08-21-2011 07:13 PM
66 123
tools
    Is there any advantage for VZW to make this $299? I would venture to say that you would rule out 25% (minimum) of potential customers who would have bought it at $199. The iPhone price should be the standard. I won’t buy it for $299 on VZW. If I had a lower monthly fee like Sprint, I might go that high, but the fact that their monthly fees are so expensive should keep all phones $199 or less.

The profit margin might not be as great for $199 v $299, but through the higher volume of sales at $199, I think you make that up easily. Plus, your sales numbers would look that much better VS the iPhone.
    The advantage, as far as I can tell, is that they get to keep their 3G price point of $199. They established a price point for 3G phones at $199 and 4G phones at $249 or higher ($299 for Charge). I think they'd have to lower the price point of both 3G and 4G phones together, not move 4G phones to be the same as 3G. And to do that would be a much greater loss. So, there advantage is that while they may not get as many customers at the 4G price point, they probably feel that the overall loss of that group of customers is not as great as the revenue gain from keeping the price points as they are.
    08-12-2011 02:06 PM
    I am going to be pissed if this is more than 249.99 and doesnt come with a 16gb SD card. The Charge comes with a 32gb I believe, and the Bionic is 16gb...both priced at 299

Only having 16gb internal does not warrant a 299 price tag. If it comes with 32 total gbs, I am fine paying 299, because I would have bought a SD card anyways.
    08-18-2011 09:18 PM
    I am going to be pissed if this is more than 249.99 and doesnt come with a 16gb SD card. The Charge comes with a 32gb I believe, and the Bionic is 16gb...both priced at 299

Only having 16gb internal does not warrant a 299 price tag. If it comes with 32 total gbs, I am fine paying 299, because I would have bought a SD card anyways.
    Well the Droid bionic is gonna be 299.99 besides the SD cards they bundle are usually crappy class 2 SD cards I know that its the principle but I'm gonna end up purchasing a faster one anyhow.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    08-18-2011 09:23 PM
    well the same leak said the charge is also 299.99.... and thats a single core. could the gs2 be more than 299.99?
    08-18-2011 09:33 PM
    I thought VZW set the price to cover what the phone costs them. If you buy one off contract, it may be 650 but with its 299. Why would Samsung dictate or care if you have one month with VZW or one decade. VZW doesn't care if its cheaper than the iPhone or not. They just want to sell phones.... right?

I'm probably wrong, but it doesn't make sense to me that Samsung would dictate on or off contract pricing.
    08-18-2011 10:19 PM
    well the same leak said the charge is also 299.99.... and thats a single core. could the gs2 be more than 299.99?
    They will price themselves right out of the market if they go any higher. At least for now. They will get us used to these prices first, then raise the prices on us later on down the road
    08-18-2011 10:44 PM
    They will price themselves right out of the market if they go any higher. At least for now. They will get us used to these prices first, then raise the prices on us later on down the road
    Agreed, any higher at this time would be typical of Verizon, but not good marketing I think this pricing will be around for a while.

08-19-2011 01:06 AM
    Also in relation to the leaked MAPs, there are a couple of disconcerting things that I see.

First, the leaked MAP shows the Charge at $299 until 9/30/11. What's interesting about this is the end date. I realize that the Bionic also lists at $299, so there will be (at least) two devices at $299 for the month of September. But, if the GSII also releases on 9/8 as the Stratosphere, would it be $299 as well, and give Verizon three devices at $299? It would be pretty hard to justify the Charge and GSII being the same price. So, I'd imagine that the GSII may break the $299 threshold (of course, that's assuming it's LTE), or that the GSII will not be released until after 9/30 (the end date for the MAP on the Charge).

Second, there's no GSII or Stratosphere listed. Could be that the screen capture didn't scroll down far enough. Maybe the table was created on a search. Don't know. But, I do find it interesting that there's nothing listed for any upcoming Samsung device (besides the Tab).
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    08-19-2011 08:28 AM
    I thought VZW set the price to cover what the phone costs them. If you buy one off contract, it may be 650 but with its 299. Why would Samsung dictate or care if you have one month with VZW or one decade. VZW doesn't care if its cheaper than the iPhone or not. They just want to sell phones.... right?

I'm probably wrong, but it doesn't make sense to me that Samsung would dictate on or off contract pricing.
    I doubt that is how they set the prices. Sprint has the Photon which is basically the Bionic and that is 199.99. Verizon charges that much because people will buy at that price, unfortunately.
    08-19-2011 08:54 AM
    And Verizon has a nice, new LTE network that needs funding.
    08-19-2011 09:18 AM
    Also in relation to the leaked MAPs, there are a couple of disconcerting things that I see.

First, the leaked MAP shows the Charge at $299 until 9/30/11. What's interesting about this is the end date. I realize that the Bionic also lists at $299, so there will be (at least) two devices at $299 for the month of September. But, if the GSII also releases on 9/8 as the Stratosphere, would it be $299 as well, and give Verizon three devices at $299? It would be pretty hard to justify the Charge and GSII being the same price. So, I'd imagine that the GSII may break the $299 threshold (of course, that's assuming it's LTE), or that the GSII will not be released until after 9/30 (the end date for the MAP on the Charge).

Second, there's no GSII or Stratosphere listed. Could be that the screen capture didn't scroll down far enough. Maybe the table was created on a search. Don't know. But, I do find it interesting that there's nothing listed for any upcoming Samsung device (besides the Tab).
    Way I see it from that pricing list is GS2 will be a 3G device released at 199 or Verizon isn't getting the GS2 at all. Especially if they are getting the Prime as they would be too similar. I am leaning toward Verizon isn't getting the GS2 as much as I don't want that to happen there hasn't been one shred of proof saying otherwise. Only thing we have is people saying something which wouldnt be admissible in court. Here we are trying to say the slider won't come out when that is the only one with photographic evidence of existence so we can justify the GS2 being the Stratosphere and coming out on the 8th. We are grasping in the air here. sprint, ATT and T-mobile versions have leaked and a Verizon epic has leaked. Makes the most sense that this is what we will get by avoiding all this clandestine mumbo jumbo. What would make the Verizon version so special that they have to hide it from all the roadmaps and pricing maps and FCC and leaks? The answer is right in front of us. We will be let down as usual. These are my feelings, but with little hope we will know for sure come Aug 29th.
    08-19-2011 10:00 AM
    Way I see it from that pricing list is GS2 will be a 3G device released at 199 or Verizon isn't getting the GS2 at all. Especially if they are getting the Prime as they would be too similar. I am leaning toward Verizon isn't getting the GS2 as much as I don't want that to happen there hasn't been one shred of proof saying otherwise. Only thing we have is people saying something which wouldnt be admissible in court. Here we are trying to say the slider won't come out when that is the only one with photographic evidence of existence so we can justify the GS2 being the Stratosphere and coming out on the 8th. We are grasping in the air here. sprint, ATT and T-mobile versions have leaked and a Verizon epic has leaked. Makes the most sense that this is what we will get by avoiding all this clandestine mumbo jumbo. What would make the Verizon version so special that they have to hide it from all the roadmaps and pricing maps and FCC and leaks? The answer is right in front of us. We will be let down as usual. These are my feelings, but with little hope we will know for sure come Aug 29th.
    I have an extremely hard time believing that Verizon wouldn't get the GSII. And it's still not out of the question that the slider is actually the GSII variant. I'm much less sold on Verizon getting the Prime. It's just not Verizon's style.
    08-19-2011 10:20 AM
    I have an extremely hard time believing that Verizon wouldn't get the GSII. And it's still not out of the question that the slider is actually the GSII variant. I'm much less sold on Verizon getting the Prime. It's just not Verizon's style.
    Agreed. I can just imagine it, nexus productivity (Verizon stupid name for nexus) huge Verizon logo across the top of the screen and huge delays due to Verizon not dropping the bloatware. The gs2 is obviously coming to all carriers its just a question of when.

08-19-2011 10:42 AM
    Simple deductive reasoning says the GSII will drop on Verizon. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

Sent from my Droid
    08-19-2011 10:42 AM
    Something else to chew on. Lets say the GSII doesn't show up in their lineup. That to me would say they no longer want an open platform on their network. Why else cut the legs out from one of the best selling handsets of all time? That wouldn't bode well for the possibility of the Prime neither. So those saying they don't see a Nexus handset on Verizon just may be right if the GSII is dropped from their line-up.

Just speculation at this point because we don't know anything but certainly something to think about.

Sent from my Droid
    08-19-2011 11:10 AM
    Putting an abnormal amount of secrecy behind a phone isn't Verizon's style either. And remember Verizon was supposed to get the original Nexus as shown even on Googles Nexus website but it never materialized. I think it makes more sense for Verizon to want to finally get a nexus than purge all information of the existence of a gs2 from all documentation when they know every other carrier is getting it too. If it was this big secret thing they would market it bigger than Bionic and we all know the Bionic marketing is already ramping up big time. This says Verizon is either expecting it to be an inferior phone to Bionic or it isn't launching for quite some time or at all. Add to this that Paper that leaked out about wanting customer input on that nexus prime sounding device makes it seem like they canned the gs2 in favor for the nexus prime a month or two later.
    08-19-2011 11:18 AM
    Those phones where released before vzw changed there pricing policy.
    Not exactly. The TBolt and Revolution both started at $249. Only the Charge was at $299. That said, I'd expect the GSII to come out at $299 IF it has LTE. If only 3G, I'd say the max is $249.

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!
    08-19-2011 11:22 AM
    Putting an abnormal amount of secrecy behind a phone isn't Verizon's style either. And remember Verizon was supposed to get the original Nexus as shown even on Googles Nexus website but it never materialized. I think it makes more sense for Verizon to want to finally get a nexus than purge all information of the existence of a gs2 from all documentation when they know every other carrier is getting it too. If it was this big secret thing they would market it bigger than Bionic and we all know the Bionic marketing is already ramping up big time. This says Verizon is either expecting it to be an inferior phone to Bionic or it isn't launching for quite some time or at all. Add to this that Paper that leaked out about wanting customer input on that nexus prime sounding device makes it seem like they canned the gs2 in favor for the nexus prime a month or two later.
    It is in their style if they can get away with it. How long was it before we knew anything about the Bionic? Only in the last few weeks to a month have things really started to heat up there. It's always in their best interest to keep things as secret as possible as that allows them to sell the most phones. Simple question, what is the Stratosphere? Nobody knows for sure. Why? Because (a) it doesn't really exist or (b) all information has been kept extremely locked up. I'm going with (b).

The thing is, Verizon doesn't really believe in the Nexus. They want control, not hand it over to the consumer. A blog that BMX put out some time ago discussed the culture from within Verizon, and he explained how Verizon doesn't want a Nexus, nor do they think it is something that the customer base in general wants. There are the diehards that much prefer the Nexus, but outside of that, Verizon doesn't believe that it's a big seller, like say the Bionic or GSII would/will be.
    08-19-2011 12:02 PM
    Those phones where released before vzw changed there pricing policy.

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!
    True. But it doesn't seem to have changed things as the Bionic appears to be coming out at $299.
    08-19-2011 12:02 PM
    Galaxy S II does not need a lot of marketing dollars behind it. The phone is global. That's the best kind of marketing you can get. So I disagree with the assumption that it needs a big push. Check out the webz. Everyone, meaning people across all carriers, are waiting for it to drop so they can pick one up. The buzz here in the states is huge and that's without one dollar spent.

I think you are not understanding that the GSII is the hottest selling Android handset in the world and for a carrier to drop if from their line-up had better be for a darn good reason.

Sent from my Droid
    08-19-2011 01:32 PM
    This adds to my theory that Verizon is ditching the gs2 for the nexus. Samsung Nexus Prime Seen Roaming The Halls Of Verizon? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    08-19-2011 03:29 PM
    This adds to my theory that Verizon is ditching the gs2 for the nexus. Samsung Nexus Prime Seen Roaming The Halls Of Verizon? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    Chuck...do you realize what you are saying here? According to Techno Buffalo the Nexus is being shopped to Verizon which means its not a done deal. Now lets say tomorrow Verizon says "yes we'll take it" how does this all go down according to your theory?

"yeah Samsung about that deal we inked last year in regards to the Galaxy SII. You can go ahead and just cancel it."

"Ok Verizon no problem. What happened you just changed your mind?"

"Yeah we are going to carry the Nexus instead"

"Oh yeah fantastic phone! we just finished up manufacturing those test units. Glad you like it! Quick question though...what should we do with all these LTE Galaxy SII's?"

"Go ahead and toss them we don't mind"

"Fantastic. Good luck with our Nexus!! "

Sent from my Droid
    eksplosions likes this.
    08-19-2011 04:09 PM
    And honestly, how much better do you think the Nexus will be? Yes, a slightly higher DPI but not a difference your eye will easy discern, a few hundred MHz that you won't really notice unless you're doing benchmarks, and a Vanilla Android that's pretty plain IMHO. I really don't think a Nexus is as much of a selling point as many people make it out to be, but that's just me.
    08-19-2011 04:33 PM
    Nexus is a developers and enthusiasts dream phone. Outside of that I don't think there is a big draw. I do agree....

Sent from my Droid
    08-19-2011 04:36 PM
    Assuming Verizon was ever going to get the gs2 I don't think it will have been Lte or have ever made it to producion.
    08-19-2011 04:38 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD