08-21-2011 07:13 PM
66 123
tools
    Nexus is a developers and enthusiasts dream phone. Outside of that I don't think there is a big draw. I do agree....

Sent from my Droid
    A developer's dream phone: yes, an enthusiasts... that's a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla Android. I enjoy rooting my phone, so I also get OS updates as soon as there is a rom released with one. As long as I can find another phone like my OG Droid, I don't see the sense in Nexus devices for myself. Especially if I have to wait until Nov for one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    08-19-2011 04:45 PM
    A developer's dream phone: yes, an enthusiasts... that's a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla Android. I enjoy rooting my phone, so I also get OS updates as soon as there is a rom released with one. As long as I can find another phone like my OG Droid, I don't see the sense in Nexus devices for myself. Especially if I have to wait until Nov for one.

because you're not an enthusiast.

I consider an enthusiast a user who likes to flash ROMS/Kernels and REFUSES to buy a locked and encrypted device.

I've said in the past I wanted a phone that I didn't feel the need to root and rom but on the flipside I want the option available because I'm an enthusiast by nature. I would hold out until the newness ran out and then like the addict I am I'd be right back at it.

That's why I said the Nexus is a dream phone for enthusiast. We can't help ourselves and always have to mess with things. I've been like this since my BB days.

Id like to add that HTC and Samsung are great phones for enthusiasts as well. They offer a totally open platform (at least offer the option/HTC) so they are great choices as well.

You say you want something that offers what your OG Droid had to offer. What are you waiting on? HTC? Samsung (non Nexus)?

Sent from my Droid
    08-19-2011 08:33 PM

I consider an enthusiast a user who likes to flash ROMS/Kernels and REFUSES to buy a locked and encrypted device.

I've said in the past I wanted a phone that I didn't feel the need to root and rom but on the flipside I want the option available because I'm an enthusiast by nature. I would hold out until the newness ran out and then like the addict I am I'd be right back at it.

That's why I said the Nexus is a dream phone for enthusiast. We can't help ourselves and always have to mess with things. I've been like this since my BB days.

Id like to add that HTC and Samsung are great phones for enthusiasts as well. They offer a totally open platform (at least offer the option/HTC) so they are great choices as well.

You say you want something that offers what your OG Droid had to offer. What are you waiting on? HTC? Samsung (non Nexus)?

Sent from my Droid
    That being said, you become top priority for Google support.. first to see any new is updates etc... We will see what the GS2 has to offer, I would probably rather get it than the nexus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    08-19-2011 10:38 PM

Sent from my Droid
    Your idea of an enthusiast is flawed then. The fact that you mention BB rather than WinMo explains why. xD WinMo offered a platform that was a hacker's dream. Almost unusable without unless you were a masochist. I switched to Android because it seemed just as open, in my opinion. An enthusiast doesn't have to hack, though, and honestly I agree in the sense that I want a phone that performs admirably without a custom kernel. I believe an enthusiast just has to love phones.

I want an open Moto phone, of course. I'm also a huge fan of Samsung, although their phones have been unimpressive until just recently. I'm still reserving judgment, however. I don't care if it's Nexus or not, I just want it to be well built. I enjoy rooting for the Bionic because I like rooting for the underdog. Also, I know enough about the inner workings of phones to know nothing coming out relatively soon is going to render it obsolete. I do not plan on waiting until Q4 for a device, though, because I will be purchasing another phone soon after with actual next-gen specs. The later you wait to buy new tech, the sooner it's rendered obsolete.

08-19-2011 11:08 PM
    Your idea of an enthusiast is flawed then. The fact that you mention BB rather than WinMo explains why. xD WinMo offered a platform that was a hacker's dream. Almost unusable without unless you were a masochist. I switched to Android because it seemed just as open, in my opinion. An enthusiast doesn't have to hack, though, and honestly I agree in the sense that I want a phone that performs admirably without a custom kernel. I believe an enthusiast just has to love phones.

I want an open Moto phone, of course. I'm also a huge fan of Samsung, although their phones have been unimpressive until just recently. I'm still reserving judgment, however. I don't care if it's Nexus or not, I just want it to be well built. I enjoy rooting for the Bionic because I like rooting for the underdog. Also, I know enough about the inner workings of phones to know nothing coming out relatively soon is going to render it obsolete. I do not plan on waiting until Q4 for a device, though, because I will be purchasing another phone soon after with actual next-gen specs. The later you wait to buy new tech, the sooner it's rendered obsolete.

Ha good point about BB's and WinMo. I had the Motorola Q for 2 months lol. Couldn't handle winmo.

It looks like you have a pretty solid plan for your next handset purchase. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid
    Flyboy1100 likes this.
    08-20-2011 12:29 AM
    That being said, you become top priority for Google support.. first to see any new is updates etc... We will see what the GS2 has to offer, I would probably rather get it than the nexus.

I'm pretty torn between the 2. They both will no doubt have phenominal developer support so its really just a matter of what hardware people want.

I personally think that you really can't go wrong either way.

Sent from my Droid
    moosc likes this.
    08-20-2011 12:34 AM
    This thread being titled pricing I would like to ask what the trend in the recent past has been as far as when the first price drops appears after the initial release?
    08-20-2011 09:34 PM
    This thread being titled pricing I would like to ask what the trend in the recent past has been as far as when the first price drops appears after the initial release?
    I would guess that after the initial release, Amazon and other 3rd party dealers will have it 50-100 off after 30 days have past.
    08-20-2011 10:19 PM
    I would guess that after the initial release, Amazon and other 3rd party dealers will have it 50-100 off after 30 days have past.
    Thanks

I want to wait for all three, the Bionic, SGII & Nexus to be in the market and read the opinions and findings while the prices settle.
    But its going to be tough to wait because my OG Droid is starting to show bad signs. For the first time since purchased it is rebooting and the Google navigation has given me a few black map screens while in route. Today Navigation just plain ended its self. Be it the Droid or Google I dunno. She is running a bare minimum of light apps.
    08-20-2011 10:59 PM
    Thanks

I want to wait for all three, the Bionic, SGII & Nexus to be in the market and read the opinions and findings while the prices settle.
    But its going to be tough to wait because my OG Droid is starting to show bad signs. For the first time since purchased it is rebooting and the Google navigation has given me a few black map screens while in route. Today Navigation just plain ended its self. Be it the Droid or Google I dunno. She is running a bare minimum of light apps.
    I am trying to wait too although I had a troubling few days. My phone and I along with my bike got stuck in torrential rain and it was soaked... After trying everything and letting it sit for 26 or so hours It still wouldn't turn on. I didn't know if I was gonna have to buy a new phone or switch out of my unlimited data plan to a feature phone for a while... Luckily 5 mins ago it powered back up. Was looking at the charge as a temp replacement but couldn't justify the money so close to the bionic and supposedly the Gs2!!!!

08-21-2011 03:40 PM
    Aug 29.... Come on.

Was CK ban?
    08-21-2011 04:11 PM

Was CK ban?
    That's two people I've seen banned for no apparent reason. I wonder what happened?
    yankdez likes this.
    08-21-2011 04:39 PM
    This thread is about the GS2 pricing, not forum members' account status. Let's stay on topic.
    08-21-2011 04:49 PM
    CK was the source of some insider info. If this keeps up, there'll be no leaks and no discussions.
    08-21-2011 05:39 PM
    CK was the source of some insider info. If this keeps up, there'll be no leaks and no discussions.
    +1

He had good info.
    08-21-2011 06:51 PM
    I don't know how much clearer I can be.
    08-21-2011 07:13 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD