pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have an extremely hard time believing that Verizon wouldn't get the GSII. And it's still not out of the question that the slider is actually the GSII variant. I'm much less sold on Verizon getting the Prime. It's just not Verizon's style.

Putting an abnormal amount of secrecy behind a phone isn't Verizon's style either. And remember Verizon was supposed to get the original Nexus as shown even on Googles Nexus website but it never materialized. I think it makes more sense for Verizon to want to finally get a nexus than purge all information of the existence of a gs2 from all documentation when they know every other carrier is getting it too. If it was this big secret thing they would market it bigger than Bionic and we all know the Bionic marketing is already ramping up big time. This says Verizon is either expecting it to be an inferior phone to Bionic or it isn't launching for quite some time or at all. Add to this that Paper that leaked out about wanting customer input on that nexus prime sounding device makes it seem like they canned the gs2 in favor for the nexus prime a month or two later.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Those phones where released before vzw changed there pricing policy.
Not exactly. The TBolt and Revolution both started at $249. Only the Charge was at $299. That said, I'd expect the GSII to come out at $299 IF it has LTE. If only 3G, I'd say the max is $249.

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Putting an abnormal amount of secrecy behind a phone isn't Verizon's style either. And remember Verizon was supposed to get the original Nexus as shown even on Googles Nexus website but it never materialized. I think it makes more sense for Verizon to want to finally get a nexus than purge all information of the existence of a gs2 from all documentation when they know every other carrier is getting it too. If it was this big secret thing they would market it bigger than Bionic and we all know the Bionic marketing is already ramping up big time. This says Verizon is either expecting it to be an inferior phone to Bionic or it isn't launching for quite some time or at all. Add to this that Paper that leaked out about wanting customer input on that nexus prime sounding device makes it seem like they canned the gs2 in favor for the nexus prime a month or two later.

It is in their style if they can get away with it. How long was it before we knew anything about the Bionic? Only in the last few weeks to a month have things really started to heat up there. It's always in their best interest to keep things as secret as possible as that allows them to sell the most phones. Simple question, what is the Stratosphere? Nobody knows for sure. Why? Because (a) it doesn't really exist or (b) all information has been kept extremely locked up. I'm going with (b).

The thing is, Verizon doesn't really believe in the Nexus. They want control, not hand it over to the consumer. A blog that BMX put out some time ago discussed the culture from within Verizon, and he explained how Verizon doesn't want a Nexus, nor do they think it is something that the customer base in general wants. There are the diehards that much prefer the Nexus, but outside of that, Verizon doesn't believe that it's a big seller, like say the Bionic or GSII would/will be.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Galaxy S II does not need a lot of marketing dollars behind it. The phone is global. That's the best kind of marketing you can get. So I disagree with the assumption that it needs a big push. Check out the webz. Everyone, meaning people across all carriers, are waiting for it to drop so they can pick one up. The buzz here in the states is huge and that's without one dollar spent.

I think you are not understanding that the GSII is the hottest selling Android handset in the world and for a carrier to drop if from their line-up had better be for a darn good reason.

Sent from my Droid

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This adds to my theory that Verizon is ditching the gs2 for the nexus. Samsung Nexus Prime Seen Roaming The Halls Of Verizon? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Chuck...do you realize what you are saying here? According to Techno Buffalo the Nexus is being shopped to Verizon which means its not a done deal. Now lets say tomorrow Verizon says "yes we'll take it" how does this all go down according to your theory?

"yeah Samsung about that deal we inked last year in regards to the Galaxy SII. You can go ahead and just cancel it."

"Ok Verizon no problem. What happened you just changed your mind?"

"Yeah we are going to carry the Nexus instead"

"Oh yeah fantastic phone! we just finished up manufacturing those test units. Glad you like it! Quick question though...what should we do with all these LTE Galaxy SII's?"

"Go ahead and toss them we don't mind"

"Fantastic. Good luck with our Nexus!! "

Sent from my Droid

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
And honestly, how much better do you think the Nexus will be? Yes, a slightly higher DPI but not a difference your eye will easy discern, a few hundred MHz that you won't really notice unless you're doing benchmarks, and a Vanilla Android that's pretty plain IMHO. I really don't think a Nexus is as much of a selling point as many people make it out to be, but that's just me.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Nexus is a developers and enthusiasts dream phone. Outside of that I don't think there is a big draw. I do agree....

Sent from my Droid

A developer's dream phone: yes, an enthusiasts... that's a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla Android. I enjoy rooting my phone, so I also get OS updates as soon as there is a rom released with one. As long as I can find another phone like my OG Droid, I don't see the sense in Nexus devices for myself. Especially if I have to wait until Nov for one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
A developer's dream phone: yes, an enthusiasts... that's a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla Android. I enjoy rooting my phone, so I also get OS updates as soon as there is a rom released with one. As long as I can find another phone like my OG Droid, I don't see the sense in Nexus devices for myself. Especially if I have to wait until Nov for one.

because you're not an enthusiast.

I consider an enthusiast a user who likes to flash ROMS/Kernels and REFUSES to buy a locked and encrypted device.

I've said in the past I wanted a phone that I didn't feel the need to root and rom but on the flipside I want the option available because I'm an enthusiast by nature. I would hold out until the newness ran out and then like the addict I am I'd be right back at it.

That's why I said the Nexus is a dream phone for enthusiast. We can't help ourselves and always have to mess with things. I've been like this since my BB days.

Id like to add that HTC and Samsung are great phones for enthusiasts as well. They offer a totally open platform (at least offer the option/HTC) so they are great choices as well.

You say you want something that offers what your OG Droid had to offer. What are you waiting on? HTC? Samsung (non Nexus)?

Sent from my Droid

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I consider an enthusiast a user who likes to flash ROMS/Kernels and REFUSES to buy a locked and encrypted device.

I've said in the past I wanted a phone that I didn't feel the need to root and rom but on the flipside I want the option available because I'm an enthusiast by nature. I would hold out until the newness ran out and then like the addict I am I'd be right back at it.

That's why I said the Nexus is a dream phone for enthusiast. We can't help ourselves and always have to mess with things. I've been like this since my BB days.

Id like to add that HTC and Samsung are great phones for enthusiasts as well. They offer a totally open platform (at least offer the option/HTC) so they are great choices as well.

You say you want something that offers what your OG Droid had to offer. What are you waiting on? HTC? Samsung (non Nexus)?

Sent from my Droid

That being said, you become top priority for Google support.. first to see any new is updates etc... We will see what the GS2 has to offer, I would probably rather get it than the nexus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Droid

Your idea of an enthusiast is flawed then. The fact that you mention BB rather than WinMo explains why. xD WinMo offered a platform that was a hacker's dream. Almost unusable without unless you were a masochist. I switched to Android because it seemed just as open, in my opinion. An enthusiast doesn't have to hack, though, and honestly I agree in the sense that I want a phone that performs admirably without a custom kernel. I believe an enthusiast just has to love phones.

I want an open Moto phone, of course. I'm also a huge fan of Samsung, although their phones have been unimpressive until just recently. I'm still reserving judgment, however. I don't care if it's Nexus or not, I just want it to be well built. I enjoy rooting for the Bionic because I like rooting for the underdog. Also, I know enough about the inner workings of phones to know nothing coming out relatively soon is going to render it obsolete. I do not plan on waiting until Q4 for a device, though, because I will be purchasing another phone soon after with actual next-gen specs. The later you wait to buy new tech, the sooner it's rendered obsolete.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Your idea of an enthusiast is flawed then. The fact that you mention BB rather than WinMo explains why. xD WinMo offered a platform that was a hacker's dream. Almost unusable without unless you were a masochist. I switched to Android because it seemed just as open, in my opinion. An enthusiast doesn't have to hack, though, and honestly I agree in the sense that I want a phone that performs admirably without a custom kernel. I believe an enthusiast just has to love phones.

I want an open Moto phone, of course. I'm also a huge fan of Samsung, although their phones have been unimpressive until just recently. I'm still reserving judgment, however. I don't care if it's Nexus or not, I just want it to be well built. I enjoy rooting for the Bionic because I like rooting for the underdog. Also, I know enough about the inner workings of phones to know nothing coming out relatively soon is going to render it obsolete. I do not plan on waiting until Q4 for a device, though, because I will be purchasing another phone soon after with actual next-gen specs. The later you wait to buy new tech, the sooner it's rendered obsolete.

Ha good point about BB's and WinMo. I had the Motorola Q for 2 months lol. Couldn't handle winmo.

It looks like you have a pretty solid plan for your next handset purchase. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: Flyboy1100

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
That being said, you become top priority for Google support.. first to see any new is updates etc... We will see what the GS2 has to offer, I would probably rather get it than the nexus.

I'm pretty torn between the 2. They both will no doubt have phenominal developer support so its really just a matter of what hardware people want.

I personally think that you really can't go wrong either way.

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: moosc

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
This thread being titled pricing I would like to ask what the trend in the recent past has been as far as when the first price drops appears after the initial release?

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
This thread being titled pricing I would like to ask what the trend in the recent past has been as far as when the first price drops appears after the initial release?

I would guess that after the initial release, Amazon and other 3rd party dealers will have it 50-100 off after 30 days have past.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I would guess that after the initial release, Amazon and other 3rd party dealers will have it 50-100 off after 30 days have past.

Thanks

I want to wait for all three, the Bionic, SGII & Nexus to be in the market and read the opinions and findings while the prices settle.
But its going to be tough to wait because my OG Droid is starting to show bad signs. For the first time since purchased it is rebooting and the Google navigation has given me a few black map screens while in route. Today Navigation just plain ended its self. Be it the Droid or Google I dunno. She is running a bare minimum of light apps.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

I want to wait for all three, the Bionic, SGII & Nexus to be in the market and read the opinions and findings while the prices settle.
But its going to be tough to wait because my OG Droid is starting to show bad signs. For the first time since purchased it is rebooting and the Google navigation has given me a few black map screens while in route. Today Navigation just plain ended its self. Be it the Droid or Google I dunno. She is running a bare minimum of light apps.

I am trying to wait too although I had a troubling few days. My phone and I along with my bike got stuck in torrential rain and it was soaked... After trying everything and letting it sit for 26 or so hours It still wouldn't turn on. I didn't know if I was gonna have to buy a new phone or switch out of my unlimited data plan to a feature phone for a while... Luckily 5 mins ago it powered back up. Was looking at the charge as a temp replacement but couldn't justify the money so close to the bionic and supposedly the Gs2!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34