08-11-2011 07:59 AM
29 12
tools
    A few more thoughts/speculations on the S2-Bionic decision:

I think both phones are likely to have FM radio because the international S2 has it and the Photon has it. Those are the best indicators we have right now. The FM transceiver usually comes built into alot of bluetooth chips nowadays and I really expect high end phones like these to have that integrated chip.

I personally stream my local NPR affiliate with no problem and I'll even go to another affiliate whenever the campaign drive comes up (I know).

The simultaneous voice-data issue remains to be seen. In all likelihood, there will be ways to workaround it, if it's not completely available.

Tethering will be available on both phones for sure.

I think the decision will come down to choosing a phone that's thinner, lighter and more refined vs a phone that's bigger, rugged and can last longer and work around the world.

That's how I would sum it up, based on the information we have now.
    epdean likes this.
    08-11-2011 12:45 AM
    Are you guys sure Verizon can stop tethering outright like that? If it's a Verizon stock ROM that has been rooted, I guess it seems somewhat plausible, but a fully custom ROM? How do they know you're tethering?

In regards to the comments/discussion, just be glad you're not the girl that won the Droid 3. The comments on that post were awful.
    08-11-2011 03:30 AM
    Are you guys sure Verizon can stop tethering outright like that? If it's a Verizon stock ROM that has been rooted, I guess it seems somewhat plausible, but a fully custom ROM? How do they know you're tethering?
    I'm no expert on this, but I've read that laptops and desktops tend to make network requests that would never be made by a phone, and that even using a VPN won't completely hide the types of access.

In regards to the comments/discussion, just be glad you're not the girl that won the Droid 3. The comments on that post were awful.
    Sex plays a role (real or feigned), as do politeness and deference (or lack thereof). I've seen some pissing contests, but newbies seem to be treated pretty well. I wasn't around for the D3 girl.
    epdean likes this.
    08-11-2011 04:33 AM
    I think both phones are likely to have FM radio because the international S2 has it and the Photon has it. Those are the best indicators we have right now. The FM transceiver usually comes built into alot of bluetooth chips nowadays and I really expect high end phones like these to have that integrated chip.
    Was not aware of this. Thanks for the info. I tend to rarely want to listen to FM radio except for baseball games, so maybe it was subconcious ignorance on my part. I edited my previous post/novel.
    08-11-2011 07:59 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD