Samsung event in NY on 8/29 for SGS II

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
From the FP: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsungs-whipping-something-aug-29-looks-galaxy-s-ii

samsung-event-2_0.jpg

Looks like that "launching in August in the US" line was a bit premature. But at least we're finally getting an announcement. Hopefully, there'll be some VZW news in there too!

Edit: lol had to update the img link because Phil decided to blur out the location and time of the event. Don't think it's really that secret as it's in a public store (Samsung Experience at 6pm). Also, BGR has it unblurred as well.

Last edited:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Did they mean an announcement in August instead of a launch? ;)

This is good news (would have been better if earlier). Hopefully, more leaks and info will be coming out before hand too.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Great news that there will be an announcement of some kind.

It's not going to surprise me at all if it doesn't launch in August. CEOs say stuff a lot of the time which turn out not to be accurate.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I recall that the verizon gs1 was the last to leak of the four US carriers (i was keeping tabs on it). can someone confirm?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
They're missing a big opportunity if they don't launch before the Bionic.

Maybe not. If they announce the full details of the phone and a launch date relatively close to the Bionic (or the same day :)), then I think that'll be enough to not miss an opportunity. Because if they do that, those that were contemplating one or the other can still make an educated decision -- the same as if it comes out beforehand.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I recall that the verizon gs1 was the last to leak of the four US carriers (i was keeping tabs on it). can someone confirm?

That is true. And it was well after the other carriers. However, there have been rumors that Verizon will be the first to get the GSII. Albeit only rumor.

Reactions: yankdez

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone recall if last year's gs1 release event provided release dates/months for each carrier? I'm afraid we'll be waiting longer than we might think

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
They're missing a big opportunity if they don't launch before the Bionic.

Actually not. With a big announcement comes a lot of coverage and it brings it into the publics awareness. Most people haven't heard of the Bionic or the GS2 for that matter. What better way to introduce people to your products and bring it into public awareness.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone recall if last year's gs1 release event provided release dates/months for each carrier? I'm afraid we'll be waiting longer than we might think

My recollection is that it did not. At least not for Verizon. I believe the announcement was in May, but Verizon didn't release the Fascinate until mid-September (the 19th, IIRC). The others released their variants in June/July, I believe. Either way, I don't think any release dates were given, but I was only half-paying attention, and only concerned about Verizon.

jt_83

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually not. With a big announcement comes a lot of coverage and it brings it into the publics awareness. Most people haven't heard of the Bionic or the GS2 for that matter. What better way to introduce people to your products and bring it into public awareness.

Sent from my Droid

Or they could do everything the same, release the phone before the Bionic, and get all the people who are just waiting for a dual core LTE phone and don't care what brand it is (assuming the GS2 will in fact be LTE). There is zero advantage to sharing those customers with Motorola.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Or they could do everything the same, release the phone before the Bionic, and get all the people who are just waiting for a dual core LTE phone and don't care what brand it is (assuming the GS2 will in fact be LTE). There is zero advantage to sharing those customers with Motorola.

Not many people are waiting for a Dual Core LTE phone though. That's why these events are so important it brings your product into public awareness. People will now wait and follow it instead of purchasing something else. "Oooo I want that one!"

Sent from my Droid

jt_83

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Not many people are waiting for a Dual Core LTE phone though.

Really? Have you been reading the Bionic forums at all? OG Droid launched 21 months ago as of next week. All those people will be eligible for a new phone as of next week. If I'm Samsung, I'd love to take as many of those customers as I can away from Moto.

It's basic marketing. Your product has something that no other product has. You know your competitor is going to change that. You better cash in while you have the chance, or you risk losing customers to said competitor.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Really? Have you been reading the Bionic forums at all? OG Droid launched 21 months ago as of next week. All those people will be eligible for a new phone as of next week. If I'm Samsung, I'd love to take as many of those customers as I can away from Moto.

It's basic marketing. Your product has something that no other product has. You know your competitor is going to change that. You better cash in while you have the chance, or you risk losing customers to said competitor.

And that's why the announcement event makes sense. Divert attention away from the Bionic and other devices.

Plus, Samsung doesn't have the say on when their devices are released. The carrier does. At most, it's negotiated. But, Verizon is the really the decision maker in when the GSII will be released. The most Samsung can really do is make the best out of the situation.

jt_83

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I think CK is referring more to the masses, which tend to not be "in the know," unlike those who visit tech forums regularly. We're the minority

You're absolutely right. We are the minority. However, we're also the kind of people that buy the latest and greatest as often as we can. We're not the kind of people that hold on to what we have until it breaks. 80% of your profits come from 20% of your customers. Just because a market is small population wise, doesn't mean you should just ignore it. There's an opportunity to gain advantage there, and Samsung knows that.

And that's why the announcement event makes sense. Divert attention away from the Bionic and other devices.

Plus, Samsung doesn't have the say on when their devices are released. The carrier does. At most, it's negotiated. But, Verizon is the really the decision maker in when the GSII will be released. The most Samsung can really do is make the best out of the situation.

I completely agree that the announcement is a good way to generate buzz. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have the announcement. I'm simply saying that launching the GS2 on the same day or after the Bionic launches will cause Samsung to lose customers to Moto, and that's a missed opportunity. I don't know how that statement became so controversial.

As far as VZW calling the shots as to the release date, they should want to launch both of these phones ASAP, since Sprint already has a dual-core 4G phone and is running a national ad campaign about "true unlimited data."

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
You're absolutely right. We are the minority. However, we're also the kind of people that buy the latest and greatest as often as we can. We're not the kind of people that hold on to what we have until it breaks. 80% of your profits come from 20% of your customers. Just because a market is small population wise, doesn't mean you should just ignore it. There's an opportunity to gain advantage there, and Samsung knows that.

I completely agree that the announcement is a good way to generate buzz. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have the announcement. I'm simply saying that launching the GS2 on the same day or after the Bionic launches will cause Samsung to lose customers to Moto, and that's a missed opportunity. I don't know how that statement became so controversial.

As far as VZW calling the shots as to the release date, they should want to launch both of these phones ASAP, since Sprint already has a dual-core 4G phone and is running a national ad campaign about "true unlimited data."

I agree that the total sales for the GSII will be lower if launched simultaneously with the Bionic. I think Verizon believes that as well, and is typically why device launches are spread out. It's basically the notion that the total combined sales of two devices released separately is greater than the total combined sales of two devices released concurrently. I presented this argument back when the TBolt was being released, at which time the iPhone was also being released. I was lambasted for saying it. But, I believe that it's true and I believe Verizon's sales numbers prove it to be true -- which is why they normally separate launchs -- more revenue for them.

All that said though, I'm not sure that I would characterize it as a missed opportunity though. I just think Samsung is doing all it can to push it's own device, knowing that the release timeframe between the GSII and Bionic, as determined by Verizon, may not work in it's favor.

Ferris.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
From Engadget's post about the 8/29 event:

We noticed that the invite image itself is named "Galaxy_S_II_Invite_v2.jpg," so we're gonna go out on a limb here and say that the S II will definitely be released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude