Samsung event in NY on 8/29 for SGS II

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Ah! Super Secret eh? Time, Money & Distance is stopping me.

I am not hearing many comments or opinions on rather or not "if" they announce an SGII for Verizon how soon it would hit the shelves.
I keep thinking if Verizon has not yet tested it we will be in another "The End of Waiting" cycle. And if Verizon has already tested it should we have not heard a leak?
To announce on the 29th and release 10 days later is kind of quick isn't it?

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Ah! Super Secret eh? Time, Money & Distance is stopping me.

I am not hearing many comments or opinions on rather or not "if" they announce an SGII for Verizon how soon it would hit the shelves.
I keep thinking if Verizon has not yet tested it we will be in another "The End of Waiting" cycle. And if Verizon has already tested it should we have not heard a leak?
To announce on the 29th and release 10 days later is kind of quick isn't it?

Not at all. A carrier or carriers are going to have to release within that time frame. Question is which one or one's. Last year the announcement came then 10 days later it dropped.

You can't sit on the phone longer than that after its announced.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Not at all. A carrier or carriers are going to have to release within that time frame. Question is which one or one's. Last year the announcement came then 10 days later it dropped.

You can't sit on the phone longer than that after its announced.

Sent from my Droid

I agree with that, but that still begs the question on why there hasn't been any more leaks particularly if it's in tester's hands now.

The good thing too for Verizon users is that if you agree with the logic that it'll have to be released shortly after the announcement on at least one carrier, we can cross T-Mobile off that list. With the leaked release date for the Hercules being late October, that means some other carrier will have to be the one to release shortly after the announcement. Let's hope it's Verizon. Still have my fingers crossed for a Stratosphere 4G/LTE variant of the GSII being released on 9/8.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with that, but that still begs the question on why there hasn't been any more leaks particularly if it's in tester's hands now.

The good thing too for Verizon users is that if you agree with the logic that it'll have to be released shortly after the announcement on at least one carrier, we can cross T-Mobile off that list. With the leaked release date for the Hercules being late October, that means some other carrier will have to be the one to release shortly after the announcement. Let's hope it's Verizon. Still have my fingers crossed for a Stratosphere 4G/LTE variant of the GSII being released on 9/8.

As of right now, anything releasing alongside the Bionic seems a bit farfetched. We haven't even seen a VZW GSII and the only slider leak we have is a picture.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
As of right now, anything releasing alongside the Bionic seems a bit farfetched. We haven't even seen a VZW GSII and the only slider leak we have is a picture.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Nor fcc testing. I'm afraid it will be end of October at the earliest.

Understand all that, but why make an announcement on August 29 if the release isn't for another month to two months? You have to capitalize on the excitement generated from the announcement. If the release is that far removed, then the announcement does nothing in terms of generating sales and is, thus, meaningless and costly. Does that mean that Sprint and/or AT&T are releasing their versions first then? We have seen at least AT&T's version go through FCC.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I don't have the answer as to why there haven't been more leaks. There is this black hole that exists in regards to the GSII and Verizon but as it stands now we have an event on the 29th that we know is a Galaxy event, we have a mysterious device known as the Stratosphere, we have rumor that Verizon is getting it first and we know that the Galaxy SII will release on at least one carrier within 10 days of the event.

That's all we have. Its obvious they are keeping things secret so any scenario is not out of the realm of possibility.

My personal feeling is that the Stratosphere is the GSII based off of what we know and 1 rumor well 2 (android authority sent me an email confirming the Stratosphere is the GSII variant)

Sent from my Droid

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Correct Dolfan. 10 days after the Galaxy event last year the Galaxy S dropped. They wouldn't have a huge event, hype it up then release it 2 months later. That's stupidity and makes absolutely no sense. Its att, sprint or verizon or any combination of the 3 that will see it quickly. Sept 8th or shortly there after. No more than 2 weeks guaranteed.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Correct Dolfan. 10 days after the Galaxy event last year the Galaxy S dropped. They wouldn't have a huge event, hype it up then release it 2 months later. That's stupidity and makes absolutely no sense. Its att, sprint or verizon or any combination of the 3 that will see it quickly. Sept 8th or shortly there after. No more than 2 weeks guaranteed.

Sent from my Droid

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There really haven't been any leaks for many of the variants (although we have seen a GSII possibly for AT&T go through FCC, and the most we've seen is probably for T-Mobile's Hercules). So, it's not just lack of leaks for Verizon per se, it's leaks for the GSII in general. Then, maybe it's a relatively equal chance amongst the three carriers of releasing in that window. I do hold out hope that the rumor of Verizon getting it first comes to fruition, along with the word that you received from Android Authority.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There really haven't been any leaks for many of the variants (although we have seen a GSII possibly for AT&T go through FCC, and the most we've seen is probably for T-Mobile's Hercules). So, it's not just lack of leaks for Verizon per se, it's leaks for the GSII in general. Then, maybe it's a relatively equal chance amongst the three carriers of releasing in that window. I do hold out hope that the rumor of Verizon getting it first comes to fruition, along with the word that you received from Android Authority.

Exactly! There is a general lack of info period.

Sent from my Droid

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
At this point doesn't the stratosphere kind of have to be the VZW GSII variant? In my mind it would be almost impossible for Samsung to keep not one, but two phones so heavily locked down. If they were able to keep an entire phone secret from us then bravo, but I really don't see how that would be possible. With that being said, it makes much more sense that they are only keeping one phone secret and that the stratosphere and the GSII are actually the same phone. And seriously... it's called the stratosphere.... They don't really give out bigger hints than that.

That being said, I feel like the Bionic and the Stratosphere being on the same day isn't really that absurd. These are both phones that have had a bit of trouble getting to the shelves and I think VZW realizes that their hand is kind of forced. They probably originally set these phones to launch a couple weeks apart, but I doubt that they were able to keep to their original plans. Since they don't want to put either phone too close to the iPhone release I think they just bit the bullet and put them in the only place they could.

Having pictures of the Celox out and being tested also makes me think that there might be a god and we might get that in the US on VZW (at least in my dreams).

In regards to the slider, I just don't think that the one picture of the slider is enough to say that the slider is even a phone that might come out. It would be a completely different matter if we had consistent leaks of a Samsung slider, but we had a single very blurry picture that is now a month old. As CK said we really don't have any information, but my bets are that the stratosphere and GSII are the same phone and that we will see it in the first week or so of September.

Reactions: Castor Troy

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
At this point doesn't the stratosphere kind of have to be the VZW GSII variant? In my mind it would be almost impossible for Samsung to keep not one, but two phones so heavily locked down. If they were able to keep an entire phone secret from us then bravo, but I really don't see how that would be possible. With that being said, it makes much more sense that they are only keeping one phone secret and that the stratosphere and the GSII are actually the same phone. And seriously... it's called the stratosphere.... They don't really give out bigger hints than that.

That being said, I feel like the Bionic and the Stratosphere being on the same day isn't really that absurd. These are both phones that have had a bit of trouble getting to the shelves and I think VZW realizes that their hand is kind of forced. They probably originally set these phones to launch a couple weeks apart, but I doubt that they were able to keep to their original plans. Since they don't want to put either phone too close to the iPhone release I think they just bit the bullet and put them in the only place they could.

Having pictures of the Celox out and being tested also makes me think that there might be a god and we might get that in the US on VZW (at least in my dreams).

In regards to the slider, I just don't think that the one picture of the slider is enough to say that the slider is even a phone that might come out. It would be a completely different matter if we had consistent leaks of a Samsung slider, but we had a single very blurry picture that is now a month old. As CK said we really don't have any information, but my bets are that the stratosphere and GSII are the same phone and that we will see it in the first week or so of September.

You make a good point. It's extremely difficult to keep just one phone under wraps as tight as it's been for the GSII, let alone two phones if you assume that the GSII and Stratosphere are separate devices.

I also buy the idea that it wasn't Plan "A" to have the GSII and Bionic release on the same day. Verizon just doesn't do that. If they are released simultaneously, then it's at least a Plan "B" and probably more like a Plan "C" or "D" or ... Also, should the GSII be a slider and/or sport a 4.5-in display, that'll at least present another discriminator between it and the Bionic.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What if the Samsung announcement is for all the carriers except VZW, and VZW will get the phone at a later date. What if they are working on a 4g device that has bat life. What of they were going to do a 3g only but decided on doing the lte. To me, no rumors or fcc docs are leading me to this theory.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
What if the Samsung announcement is for all the carriers except VZW, and VZW will get the phone at a later date. What if they are working on a 4g device that has bat life. What of they were going to do a 3g only but decided on doing the lte. To me, no rumors or fcc docs are leading me to this theory.

You have to keep in mind that whatever they have been working on they have been working on for more then three months. It's not like they decided in the middle of August that there was a lot of demand for the 4G version and started to renovate the 3G version to be released later down the line with 4G. They decided that the phone would have 4G or 3G a very long time ago and it is not a decision that they would reverse. To do all of the development, design, production and testing on a phone is very expensive and they would never reverse that decision. Either they chose to put 4G in a very long time ago or they didn't. There is no way that they would change that decision this late in the game because it would cost then a huge amount of money. I am just hoping that they chose to put 4G in it :D

Also, I would be shocked if they leave out the VZW version. This press release is free marketing for VZW and I don't think there is any way they would intentionally miss out. You also have to keep in mind the leaked map for Verizon also has a handset that is slated for release on the 8th of September, which is the perfect amount of time away from this announcement. There is no way anyone can say that this is the GSII varient, or that the map is accurate in any way, but because of the points in my previous post I believe that the GSII and stratosphere are the same phone. The official release date though is not as certain.

Even though it is getting late we do still have some time for the FCC documentation. Technically the FCC documents only have to go through the day before they decide to sell them. Judging by the extent of their secrecy this far, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Samsung and VZW intentionally held off submitting the phone to the FCC to maintain secrecy. It is possible that they calculated exactly how long it will take to clear the FCC and are waiting to submit it so no information leaks before they want it to.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

One thing wrong with that theory. The choice to make it LTE was decided a long time ago. They didn't just decide a few months ago " hey should we make this LTE or 3G?"

This phone has been in development for a long time. Secondly the absence of FCC docs doesn't mean a thing accept they weren't submitted yet. They can be submitted after the 29th and still be able to make a September 8th release. Its not a long drawn out complicated process like people are led to believe.

The lack of info, leaks and August 29th event makes it abundantly clear that the US version has been kept tightly under wraps. Looks to me like Samsung is trying to turn the Galaxy S brand into an event similiar to what Apple does.

Certainly is working. Everyone is chomping at the bit for this thing in the states and nobody knows anything. Whatever they are doing is working and working well.

They have set the stage with these events and little clues (telescopes) and I see it getting bigger and better every year. Tell me your not excited about the prospect of the GSIII and ill call you a liar :) yeah its on all our minds. As soon as the rumors start flying we will all be thinking if we are going to pay full retail or not.

Sent from my Droid

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I also buy the idea that it wasn't Plan "A" to have the GSII and Bionic release on the same day. Verizon just doesn't do that. If they are released simultaneously, then it's at least a Plan "B" and probably more like a Plan "C" or "D" or ...
If I were to speculate I think this is the best explanation. I don't think it was plan A but they didn't foresee the Bionic being cancelled. To hold up either of the devices would be a bad move. People seem to forget not everyone is waiting on the Bionic and the GSII already has a lot of international and national buzz.

What would you do? Would you say well let's hold off on this phone and get this one out first because people have been waiting longer for this one? People have been waiting for both. All bets are off since the Etna was cancelled. Its not the ideal release but choosing one over the other is bad all the way around.

Simultaneous release is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

Sent from my Droid

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781