Argument for 4G on VZW has gotten even more interesting

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
After playing with the Droid 3 and using the "new" Blur, I can safely say I am happy I decided not to go with the Bionic. If the GSII does not have 4G, then I'll wait the extra month for the Nexus Prime which is rumored to be coming to Verizon in October.

Does anyone really believe that the Nexus Prime will be out in October on Verizon? I don't think it's very likely.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone really believe that the Nexus Prime will be out in October on Verizon? I don't think it's very likely.
Eh, I think it's likely if Google wants to successfully combat the iPhone. What I'm HOPING they will do is coordinate a launch in October on every carrier. Now that would be cool.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Eh, I think it's likely if Google wants to successfully combat the iPhone. What I'm HOPING they will do is coordinate a launch in October on every carrier. Now that would be cool.

Ah, hope. Hope can be a dangerous thing. It's not very likely. I don't think we'll see Prime on VZW until January.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

in all honesty, i dont think a nexus device could compete with the iphone. the average customer does not care about a vanilla device; only geeks like us do.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
i dont see that happening. vzw would have to push it harder than the iphone, which wouldnt make any sense since it would be more cost efficient to just sell the iphone.

I tend to agree, but it's possible. I agree for different reasons, though. They pump tons of money into their "Droid" marketing, and this will not be a "Droid".

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Bad news for CK if the Celox/GS2 rumors are to be believed from AC main page:

A little more information has surfaced, and it sounds like Samsung has the ability to produce a 4.5 inch 720p Super AMOLED HD display, as long as the old style RGBG pentile matrix technology is used. While this isn't the best case scenario, it makes the Samsung Celox a bit more interesting, as it's reported that it will launch with a 4.5 inch 1280x720 Super AMOLED HD screen with a pentile matrix.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Bad news for CK if the Celox/GS2 rumors are to be believed from AC main page:

While it's definitely a downgrade IMO, it won't be as bad as Moto's pentile displays. All pentile displays are not created equal. I much prefer the SAMOLED pentile display on my wife's Fascinate to any of the pentile displays on Moto's devices. That said though, I can't see the SAMOLED HD display being ready for a GSII release in the next month or two. I hope that it's still the SAMOLED+.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
While it's definitely a downgrade IMO, it won't be as bad as Moto's pentile displays. All pentile displays are not created equal. I much prefer the SAMOLED pentile display on my wife's Fascinate to any of the pentile displays on Moto's devices. That said though, I can't see the SAMOLED HD display being ready for a GSII release in the next month or two. I hope that it's still the SAMOLED+.

I've found Moto's more recent displays to be much better than previous attempts at it too.

I have to admit, as someone who doesn't mind pentile subpixel layout (I don't prefer it, but it's not nearly as bothersome to me as it is to some people), I find this actually kind of ironic news if it turns out to be true. All the people who crusaded for the GS2 and railed on the alleged Bionic-pentile display as a major reason for not purchasing it may now have to justify it through completely subjective justification("Samsung's pentile is superior to Moto's pentile!").

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Check the math I did in the other thread. If it's an HD screen, pentile matrix is irrelevant.

You're probably right (I didn't check/read the math). As I've said before, technology advacement will make the hatred of pentile disappear in the near future. The blindness of people who simply see "pentile" and crusade against it without any understanding of the technology or the logic behind it (thanks in large to a certain site-creator who people follow as if he's Moses) is laughable.

I'm 99.9% sure I'd be just fine with this display.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I've found Moto's more recent displays to be much better than previous attempts at it too.

I have to admit, as someone who doesn't mind pentile subpixel layout (I don't prefer it, but it's not nearly as bothersome to me as it is to some people), I find this actually kind of ironic news if it turns out to be true. All the people who crusaded for the GS2 and railed on the alleged Bionic-pentile display as a major reason for not purchasing it may now have to justify it through completely subjective justification("Samsung's pentile is superior to Moto's pentile!").

Would be quite ironic indeed. But, I can't emphasize enough that IMO Samsung's pentile SAMOLED is much better than the pentile LCD on the latest Motorola phones. I haven't really looked at the earlier Moto displays. I have personally looked at the D3 and DX2 and they're quite bothersome to me. A simple comparison can be done in the store by looking at the Fascinate versus the D3 (granted there's still Fascinates in stock).

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Would be quite ironic indeed. But, I can't emphasize enough that IMO Samsung's pentile SAMOLED is much better than the pentile LCD on the latest Motorola phones. I haven't really looked at the earlier Moto displays. I have personally looked at the D3 and DX2 and they're quite bothersome to me. A simple comparison can be done in the store by looking at the Fascinate versus the D3 (granted there's still Fascinates in stock).

And the Fascinate is pentile, too, just the Samoled version. I think this just goes to show that it's all opinion.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

When I became interested in screen technology a few months ago (when researching my new phone) I went and spent a long time looking at various phones and comparing screens. I like the SAMOLED+ screens, and I don't mind pentile displays assuming they don't bother me. I can notice it in some instance (say the X2 when reading a small webpage) but it doesn't bother me. Likewise overstaturation in SAMOLED+ doesn't bother me either.

It's probably more semantics than anything else. "Pentile" became a dirty word for, IMO, a mix of valid and invalid reasons. I welcome the power-saving features it may bring to future phones. :)

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
When I became interested in screen technology a few months ago (when researching my new phone) I went and spent a long time looking at various phones and comparing screens. I like the SAMOLED+ screens, and I don't mind pentile displays assuming they don't bother me. I can notice it in some instance (say the X2 when reading a small webpage) but it doesn't bother me. Likewise overstaturation in SAMOLED+ doesn't bother me either.

It's probably more semantics than anything else. "Pentile" became a dirty word for, IMO, a mix of valid and invalid reasons. I, for one, welcome our new PenTile overlords. :)

Fixed that for you.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This is one of those things that we should all wait to see in person. There's no way to tell how it will look without even viewing it in person. Not all pentiles are evil.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
And the Fascinate is pentile, too, just the Samoled version. I think this just goes to show that it's all opinion.

Correct. My wife has a Fascinate, so I have first hand experience with it. And that's what I base my opinion on -- actually looking at Fascinate's pentile display and comparing it first hand to the D3's and DX2's pentile display.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Correct. My wife has a Fascinate, so I have first hand experience with it. And that's what I base my opinion on -- actually looking at Fascinate's pentile display and comparing it first hand to the D3's and DX2's pentile display.

See, I'm the opposite. The Pentile on SAMOLED makes me cringe, probably due to the oversaturated colors, while moto's LCD pentile doesn't bother me at all. All comes down to personal preference...