Why Vanilla Android?

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm contemplating VZW's GS2 vs the Prime. Can someone tell me why they prefer vanilla over skinned, besides faster software updates? For me, I think skins somewhat improve functionality of the phone (e.g. app folders, email clients, music players, camera options, etc.). Not tryin to start a war; just wondering why I feel like I'm in the wrong for not salivating over a nexus device.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why Vanilla Android???

as a vanilla android device, not only does it get OS updates faster (cuz the OEM doesn't have to worry about making sure its own skin is compatible with the OS), but it also has an unlocked bootloader.

also, it's not just the skins that the OEMs use, it's all the bloatware that goes with it. it just takes up space. as far as skins go, i generally only use ADW, LPP, or GO, so those OEM skins don't really have anything i want.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

This is my own personal opinion of course, but my EVO hasn't been quite right since the Gingerbread update, and I feel that Sense has EVERYTHING to do with that. Obviously the Nexus S has quirks of its own, but the majority of the issues HTC owners have, have more to do with the skin that is put on these phones. I could be wrong of course, but thats how I feel and I won't accept another skinned device.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm contemplating VZW's GS2 vs the Prime. Can someone tell me why they prefer vanilla over skinned, besides faster software updates? For me, I think skins somewhat improve functionality of the phone (e.g. app folders, email clients, music players, camera options, etc.). Not tryin to start a war; just wondering why I feel like I'm in the wrong for not salivating over a nexus device.

Really it's all just personal preference. Most like HTC Sense (including the Espresso UI) or Vanilla. Recently, more people have grown somewhat fond of the new Touchwiz (including myself) due to the huge overhaul they have done to it. And then there are some people who like Moto's skin, LG's, and SE's (can't think of the name right now).

Alucardsyco

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy Vanilla because it's what Google intended for the phone. Its simple and sophisticated. Skins could be beneficial for the user if you use their specific items like HTC Sense widgets and things of the such. Vanilla is just so nice,clean, and wonderful that I don't ever want to go back to anything else.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate everyone giving their opinions as well. Im moving into my first legit smartphone soon, and the Nexus Prime is at the top of the list. Reading opinions like this make the wait go down easier.

Thanks!

VCL

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I am a pure Google kind of guy. I am a long time owner of the Nexus One, still own it, never give it up.I also have just about every HTC made device including the Samsung Nexus S. I have the new Sensation and looking for a pure google rom to download. After all that I also have the HTC Thunderbolt, just had to have the LTE speed, which is lit up and full speed in my area, suburb of Boston. I am a complete cell phone junkie. :D :D :D

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Based on what i always hear on the threads I tried AOSP or vanilla Android ROMS. After i installed ADW, beautiful Widgets, k-9 Mail, Handsent SMS, and Dolphin Browser I started to question the value of the Custom OS's that OEMs employ like Sense.

IMHO you can say that Sense or the others slow things down, but at least all the customization are from the same set of developers. Under ASOP i was downloading 10 apps from 10 different devs and there was no continuity. It was really not good. I can see a problem with the OEM software in v 2, but with Sense 3, the latest versions of Blur and Touch Wiz 4 or UX i think they have come a long way. The reviews on these overlays seem to have change opinions lately as well. Just look at what people have said about Touch Wiz UX.

I learned that my personal preference if for a Sense 3.0 ROM. I tried vanilla a few times and never made it more that 24 hours. Sure running 2.3.5 was nice but I saw more improved functionality on 2.3.4 with Sense 3 than the dif between 2.3.4 and 2.3.5.

I honestly think that if every device shipped with plain Android, it would never get the adoption that it has.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what you want out of your phone. If you're in to modding your phone-rooting, romming, etc-then a Nexus device will be good for that. However, if you're looking at the GS2, it won't be very long before you are able to do those things as well, which negates that advantage. Yes, the Nexus device gets updates first, but updates for rooted devices usually come pretty quickly from the development community.
As far as a "vanilla android experience" that is incredibly overrated. People will talk about how they love it, but if you follow it, you'll see that the reason that people love it is because of how easy it is to add whatever skins they want to it, thus making it no longer a vanilla android.
And as much as people say they love the Nexus and are excited about a nexus device, the previous nexus devices have been very poor sellers. Meaning people talk about them but don't buy them that often. Yes, there are a few that want their phone as vanilla as possible, but most just like how they can change it.
To be honest, the only people that really benefit from a pure android device are the developers themselves. They are the ones who have to make their skins work and it is easier for them if they start with a vanilla device.
My advice-check out the GS2. If you like it, and think it is worth it, then get it. Don't worry about what device will be out soon. I can guarantee that any customizing you will want to(including changing/removing the skin if you don't like it) will be just as easy for you on the GS2 as it will be on the Nexus. Either way you will likely have to wait for the developers to get you the tools you need, but it will happen.

Reactions: Pepe98

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I've used Motoblur on the Droid X, I've used custom AOSP roms on the Droid X.
I've used Sense on the Thunderbolt, I've used custom AOSP roms on the Thunderbolt.

I think I can comfortably say, based on my experience, that custom UI and UX added by the manufactures slow the phone down. The Nexus S is faster than any Android phone I have owned or used. That will of course change over time but I think it proves that if speed, stability and responsiveness are important to you then the Nexus line is the best option.

I do agree though that in an effort to add some of the features provided by many of the manufacture's tweaks, you can end up with a very fragmented Android experience. To some, that may be a downside but to me, I prefer to only add in the features I wish to use through 3rd party apps.

mikes1426

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it's all personal preference. Some prefer a pure android experience whereas others prefer an OEM UI. Choose whichever makes the best sense for you. The beauty of Android is the level of customization readily available.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Nexus S and it was a great phone, but stock is well kinda boring. It was always nice to get software upgrades, but now with my inspire it's more fun in a way. Sense does a lot to android. I'm not gonna lie and say I would always buy a sense phone to stock, cause I still want a stock phone. But I am really happy with my Inspire and sense.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My take on it. AOSP / Vanilla Android is easy and doesn't have anything stupid running around behind everything. I don't skin anything but I rarely use Stock apps beyond messaging. I absolutely hate most of Blur but the camera add-ons are great(compared to stock). On my X I run Liberty Gingerbread and I haven't found a better ROM yet. IMHO All the non-tweaked manufacturer UI's add too much bloat and just the fact that half of it can't be removed just adds credence to the argument for stock android.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
stock is well kinda boring.

That's kinda my sentiment. I like and certainly don't mind stock, but one of the first things I did was grab go launcher and the various go widgets mainly because stock looks pretty plain as is.

I helped a relative set up their thunderbolt to use htc's friendstream app for Facebook and was impressed at how thoroughly it replicated the Facebook app experience in a much nicer looking and more integrated user interface.

IMO I'd rather have a more integrated experience with fewer apps to download with widgets that can clash visually.(Facebook is a prime example)

Its more than just appearance though. I like the toggle switches that touchwiz introduced in the notification shade, ditto the customizable touchwiz dock.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
wow so many thoughtful responses. im lovin it all. in my case, i just dont think i have the time to keep up with the latest rom forums, especially at the speed devs are coming out with new stuff. havent made a decision yet, but the gs2 looks more favorable to me as i'd like an unfragmented phone wrt widgets and such. the drop in speed it'll cost me surely wont be THAT great, as its a dual core phone. and if i ever wanted to dabble in rooting and romming, i feel satisfied that samsung's embraced the modding community with unlocked bootloaders and providing phones to xda devs. right now, the only thing keeping me from being totally sold on the gs2 is ICS on the prime. looking forward to how a buttonless display will pan out in addition to the rest of the software changes. there are so many question marks about ICS that i think im gonna wait for both phones to come out first. decisions, decisions.....

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Biggest reasons to go vanilla is that you, and only you, control what is running on your device and when you want it to run.

Any ROM can be skinned, but you can't take out overlay bloat without root. I run an Evo with Deck's ROM and I have coworkers with Droid X's and a stock Sense Evo. All of them are shocked when they see my running services page and want to know how they can get theirs to work like that and get my battery life.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I also think its a manner of a personal preferences , some people prefer Vanilla\Stock over Manufacturers UI
Personally , I find the vanilla is very boring (yes you can customize it as you want , but still , plus I hate it) & I prefer Custom UI instead (Motorola's new UI or Sense)

Some People prefer vanilla because its lighter on the device & doesn't run every single app in the background (this is not the case with me) , unlike Motoblur & Sense phones

But Manufacturers UIs also have their advantages over the vanilla , especially in the Media section (better Camera app , HD recording , Better Music player ..etc)

Here is the catch though , having a Vanilla UI outta the box doesn't guarantee that you will have the latest updates faster , I'll give you some examples :

1 - Im speaking of a personal experience here :
I've an OG Motorola MILESTONE (the GSM variant of the OG DROID) , the MILESTONE was the first ever to receive Eclair 2.1 (the phone actually came with 2.0) , even before the OG DROID (& probably the Nexus One) , but I got the Fro-Yo 2.2.1 update about 4 months ago (as soon as it was released for IEME area)

2 - The British Nexus One received the Official GingerBread about month & a Half ago , after the DROID X & Desire HD got it

3 - the LG G2X (vanilla Froyo 2.2.1) was released about the same time as the ATRIX 4G (MotoBlur on top of Froyo 2.2.1) , but the ATRIX got GingerBread 2.3.4 first (The Atrix 4G is the first Non-Nexus device to get 2.3.4)

As you can see , it depends on the Manufacturer & the Carrier to release the update & when it comes to Europe & the Rest of the world , is a whole anther miss Since Manufacturers have to get Carriers approval & the "Communications ministry"'s approval in every single country , then carriers start testing it for couple of months , trust me been there before

After all , you will pick whatever you like the most depending on the Spec.s that suits your needs & desires

Reactions: mrmoe110

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

This is my own personal opinion of course, but my EVO hasn't been quite right since the Gingerbread update, and I feel that Sense has EVERYTHING to do with that. Obviously the Nexus S has quirks of its own, but the majority of the issues HTC owners have, have more to do with the skin that is put on these phones. I could be wrong of course, but thats how I feel and I won't accept another skinned device.

This

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
wow so many thoughtful responses. im lovin it all. in my case, i just dont think i have the time to keep up with the latest rom forums, especially at the speed devs are coming out with new stuff. havent made a decision yet, but the gs2 looks more favorable to me as i'd like an unfragmented phone wrt widgets and such. the drop in speed it'll cost me surely wont be THAT great, as its a dual core phone. and if i ever wanted to dabble in rooting and romming, i feel satisfied that samsung's embraced the modding community with unlocked bootloaders and providing phones to xda devs. right now, the only thing keeping me from being totally sold on the gs2 is ICS on the prime. looking forward to how a buttonless display will pan out in addition to the rest of the software changes. there are so many question marks about ICS that i think im gonna wait for both phones to come out first. decisions, decisions.....

If ICS is important to you and you wont be rooting and romming, you might want to look more at the Nexus. It would be a huge surprise if the GS2 gets ICS before next summer. Samsung is notoriously terrible with updating their phones in the U.S. The developers will get it up and running with their ROMs, but if that's something you don't have time to do, you likely won't get ICS on the GS2 any time soon.

ryandi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take after having used GS2 for a month.

Touchwiz isn't intrusive, not in the slightest. In fact the following points got me attached to it:

1. GPU accelerated browser
2. Built-in screen-taking capabilities (Home+Power button)
3. T9 dialing
4. Notification bar controls
5. Improvements to the join contacts options.

I was skeptical of custom skins before I experienced Touchwiz 4.0. But after having used it, it doesn't seem to slow the phone down (probably because Samsung implemented GPU acceleration in homescreen too), I can even run LWP while playing music without noticing a stutter while scrolling through screens.

Then again, it comes out to how much bloatware VZW's GS2 will launch with, and how much of an improvement ICS will bring to Android. The lack of GPU acceleration really hurts our phones though. iDevices have had buttery smooth experience for like ever, something our better-specced phones have problem achieving, simply because they come with GPU acceleration. If ICS doesn't address this issue (yes it's an issue, not a lack of feature), the answer would be obvious, the GS2.

Reactions: allan1313

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21