Verizon Apparently not offering Galaxy S II

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
There's no GSII because Verizon already has plans for something better from Samsung. It's simple and makes tons of sense. It just didnt have the place in Verizon's line up this year. Suppose this further affirms Verizon will be the lead carrier for the next Nexus, much more suited device on their network.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
which roadmap is that? i didn't think the Prime had even popped up on any roadmaps yet. everything i've seen points to a Nov, or possibly Dec, release.

I should walk that back... I'm assuming the Samsung Plato is the Prime. It's wishful thinking to believe that the Prime comes to Verizon before the end of the year.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Where's CK? He may have died already.

Hope someone has him on suicide watch! (Ha, I know he had said he was likley waiting for Prime).

Honestly, considering the major lack of ANY leaks about the VZW variant of the GS2, well, other than fanboys SWEARING it was going to have LTE, this makes some sense. No FCC docs, no leaked photos, no leak vids, no mentions of testing at all. There was nothing besides the cryptic words of a Samsung exec telling us that we were getting it.

Sad indeed, as this was looking like my next phone if it was LTE-enabled.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Where's chuckz28? He called this. I hope he has enough crow around to serve us. :(
I'm fresh outta crow as I've eaten some myself lol. But in all seriousness this really sucks. Now I need to decide if I will go to sprint or hold out for the prime cause bionic is a whipped up bucket of bolts in my eyes.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Not a big surprise. Verizon has always been pro-network. Not Pro-phone. I mean it essentially works. Do you really want the SGS2 on another carrier that has a spotty at best network and slow? It's like having an awesome camera that can't take pictures. There will be better devices coming along in the next couple months. I hope Verizon is in line for the Nexus Prime still.

This could be a good thing!

Edit: CK is probably changing his service right now. haha.

mrmurdstone

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I still believe the Nexus Prime will arrive in Oct of '11.

Google has a vested interest in dividing the iphone 5 fence sitters with an Ice Cream Sandwich os phone that makes a splash in the marketplace. Since this will be a "Google Phone" it's more about the os developer than the phone manufacturer and therefore the manufacturer may not have it on any published hardware release roadmap for this year.

Also remember that the components in the Prime and its phone factor are significantly different than the original Galaxy s2. TI dual processor vs samsung chip. Larger, higher definition screen and the inclusion of 4g radio.

Releasing the Prime so soon after a Samsung Galaxy S2 would make no sense for Verizon marketing and just dilute the interest in both.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I should walk that back... I'm assuming the Samsung Plato is the Prime. It's wishful thinking to believe that the Prime comes to Verizon before the end of the year.

ahh, i gotcha.... i'm taking the more optimistic view. given this announcement from VZW of no GS2, that indicates to me that VZW will be the primary carrier launching the Prime. and if that's the case, then history would indicate a pre-holiday release. an early '12 release certainly is possible, but i'm hoping it's not likely.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I still believe the Nexus Prime will arrive in Oct of '11.

Google has a vested interest in dividing the iphone 5 fence sitters with an Ice Cream Sandwich os phone that makes a splash in the marketplace. Since this will be a "Google Phone" it's more about the os developer than the phone manufacturer and therefore the manufacturer may not have it on any published hardware release roadmap for this year.

Also remember that the components in the Prime and its phone factor are significantly different than the original Galaxy s2. TI dual processor vs samsung chip. Larger, higher definition screen and the inclusion of 4g radio.

Releasing the Prime so soon after a Samsung Galaxy S2 would make no sense for Verizon marketing and just dilute the interest in both.

There are a ton of people with OG who are ready to upgrade right now. The iPhone/Bionic are going to swallow up a lot of those people unless there's more information about the Prime.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm fresh outta crow as I've eaten some myself lol. But in all seriousness this really sucks. Now I need to decide if I will go to sprint or hold out for the prime cause bionic is a whipped up bucket of bolts in my eyes.

true re: Bionic. take a look at the DHD - it seems the VZW and Moto people are pretty excited about this device, much more so than the Bionic.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
There are a ton of people with OG who are ready to upgrade right now. The iPhone/Bionic are going to swallow up a lot of those people unless there's more information about the Prime.

i'm willing to bet we'll start getting more leaks starting mid-Sept, with an official announcement in Oct - nothing to back that up, just a hunch, and experience in watching these things play out over the years.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could say I'm surprised, yet this is a typical Verizon move. Great network, but they really mess up with the phone selection. The writing has probably been up on the wall for a while. We haven't seen a thing about a Verizon S2, while all the versions with the other carriers have been outed.

I would probably be livid right now if it weren't for the fact that I had already decided I was going to have to put off my phone upgrade because of my car repairs. I can't stand my Storm, but it is still functional enough that I can keep using it.

Maybe the bright side is what others have mentioned, maybe it is a hint that Verizon will be getting the Prime and that is why they passed on the S2. The two are very similar with the Prime just having some upgrades in certain specs, I just wish the Prime had the 8 MP camera. Guess we will have to wait and see. I do believe that we won't see the Prime until November at the earliest.

Always possible this report is wrong, at least we will know on Monday. I think given the lack of info on a Verizon version, we are not going to be happy with the official announcement.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry, I wouldn't mind a slider at all. What I do want is what's inside. If the slider has "nearly identical specficiations", then I'd get it.

It would be a big turnoff for me. If it doesn't bother other people this will be a nice consolation prize at least.

Hoping it's not that slider we saw before (even with 4G), but nemov's probably right.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
From Raney, Brenda Brenda.Raney@verizonwireless.com
to
date Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM
subject RE: Loyal VZW Customer for 10 Years
mailed-by verizonwireless.com

We have a robust portfolio of devices that offer customers exciting options including the Droid Charge by Samsung which runs on our 4G LTE network. The new phone is not a 4G phone.

I emailed Brenda. That was her response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech