Verizon Apparently not offering Galaxy S II

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
He's the same guy who said the Bionic would be worth the wait at the beginning of summer too.

And where's the guarantee that the DHD will be released anytime soon considering. The Bionic was supposed to be out in April?

no guarantees, of course - but most indications are that VZW and Moto are aiming for a holiday release: it's a "Droid", so it's a vzw phone; Sanjay said that Moto would release another LTE phone before the end of the year; right now, vzw is the only carrier with a functioning LTE network.

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
As much as I LOVE the GS2, I really don't care now that it isn't coming out on VZW. To be honest, I was a little concerned with the straight rectangle shape. It really doesn't make much of a difference in holding it, the Charge just looks cooler. I also like that fake Bionic Motorola released on Sprint.

I really hope they come out with a Charge 2, with a similar shape to the original...and soon. I don't want the Nexus Prime.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
At least they managed to not place full page ads for it in major papers like the HTC Merge, or display images of it on the website. (ditto) At least that phone sorta made it out on Verizon for those willing to search for it. :/

I'm back in phone search limbo....and it sucks. Maybe I should just get a lackluster Droid 3 and be a good little customer for Verizon! /sarcasm

:O really? That could make it compelling, any links for more info? Blows that there's only 512 mb of RAM though. Seriously...that's really annoying for a "flagship" device.

Yeah, the lack of FCC docs was a bit of a mystery but I think many suspected they pulled an apple and kept VZW's docs close to the vest for as long as possible.

Yeah, the Stratosphere is probably the 4G "Epic LTE" slider. With last year's specs, I might end up passing.

Hah! Totally, it's pretty awful but Verizon's always been the most controlling out of the "big 4" networks. Crippling bluetooth back in the day, forcing their ****ty UI onto their dumbphones long before anyone else, offering up devices w/out wi-fi so you'd have to use data and crippling GPS so you'd have to pay for VZ Navigator...ugh. Awful.

I have asked the question a few times if there was any sort of solid evidence to back a rumored VZ release and the lack of FCC documents and a certain person kept shooting me down..........speaking of where is CK when I need him.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-2-function/110007-quick-question-vz-gs2.html
Edit: Forgot the conversation got cleaned up so no record of our discussion.

On another note Sorry to the folks that were waiting with abated breath for this phone. That really sucks.

Last edited:

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well I've run the numbers and discussed the situation with my wife, since she wants one as well, and we have decided we will switch to Sprint for sure. Already having 600 set aside expecting to pay for 300 dollar phones means I can pay the activation fees and cheaper $200 phones and be OK. We will only have to pay an etf for her line at 160. Cheaper monthly rate, plus I get a bigger discount though work do I will save 22 a month after taxes and charges and everything. Throw in the ability to remove bloatware and get top notch Android phones and good 4g coverage in my area so I should be good to go. I grew tirred of Verizon raising fees over the years and killing unlimited data and putting out garbage phones. So ill be waiting in line at Best Buy 9-9-11 for my new GS2 :)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I've run the numbers and discussed the situation with my wife, since she wants one as well, and we have decided we will switch to Sprint for sure. Already having 600 set aside expecting to pay for 300 dollar phones means I can pay the activation fees and cheaper $200 phones and be OK. We will only have to pay an etf for her line at 160. Cheaper monthly rate, plus I get a bigger discount though work do I will save 22 a month after taxes and charges and everything. Throw in the ability to remove bloatware and get top notch Android phones and good 4g coverage in my area so I should be good to go. I grew tirred of Verizon raising fees over the years and killing unlimited data and putting out garbage phones. So ill be waiting in line at Best Buy 9-9-11 for my new GS2 :)

Good luck to you with your new carrier. Looks like you got it all figured out and won't have to pay out the nose to switch. :)

iambecoming

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
no guarantees, of course - but most indications are that VZW and Moto are aiming for a holiday release: it's a "Droid", so it's a vzw phone; Sanjay said that Moto would release another LTE phone before the end of the year; right now, vzw is the only carrier with a functioning LTE network.

Yes but again Moto said the Bionic would orignally be released in April so I'm not getting my hopes up or waiting on a phone that may or may not be released 3 months from now that from what I've read doesn't sound like that huge of a leap over the Bionic.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes but again Moto said the Bionic would orignally be released in April so I'm not getting my hopes up or waiting on a phone that may or may not be released 3 months from now that from what I've read doesn't sound like that huge of a leap over the Bionic.

i certainly understand that. but, for me, the promise of a slimmer design and an improved screen is worth the gamble of waiting 3 more months. if it doesn't pan out, i can always get the Bionic (but more likely the Prime).

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good luck to you with your new carrier. Looks like you got it all figured out and won't have to pay out the nose to switch. :)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Now I know I only have a couple weeks till I can get the phone I have been waiting for, for months. Giggidy

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: ClemC

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So what if the reason Verizon is not releasing the GS2 is because the Verizon variant will be the Stratosphere. CK emailed Android Authority a few weeks ago when they posted an article about the Bionic and the GS2. He received an answer stating that the Stratosphere was indeed a second generation GS2 variant.

There's no real evidence that the Stratosphere is the slider that was leaked some time ago. Although personally, if it was to be a slider but had "nearly identical specifications" as the GS2, I'd still consider it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-2-function/110688-droid-life-stratosphere-not-gsii.html

Droid Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S2 Rivalry Tightens – Same Release Date, Same Selling Features?

Exclusive: Verizon passes on GALAXY S II, but 'similar' Samsung phone launching soon

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Did you factor in Sprint's port-in credit as well?

Port In Credit

That'll pay your wife's ETF and still leave you with a few bucks in your pocket. I don't know if it'll work if you buy them at Best Buy though. The terms say Sprint online, telesales or store. Good luck!

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Great... A fourteen week wait for a rumored phone that may not even end up on Verizon. So much good news today.

LOL! welcome to the Android world... :)

we all knew that the latter part of '11 was going to be a wild ride, with LTE/4G networks, dual core phones, new tablets, new OS versions, etc - but, i never thought it would be quite this wild. should be a most interesting few months ahead.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Apple has Verizon by the nuts , same was the case with AT&T.
V made deal with the Devil and their customers will pay in a bad way.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So what if the reason Verizon is not releasing the GS2 is because the Verizon variant will be the Stratosphere. CK emailed Android Authority a few weeks ago when they posted an article about the Bionic and the GS2. He received an answer stating that the Stratosphere was indeed a second generation GS2 variant.

There's no real evidence that the Stratosphere is the slider that was leaked some time ago. Although personally, if it was to be a slider but had "nearly identical specifications" as the GS2, I'd still consider it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-2-function/110688-droid-life-stratosphere-not-gsii.html

Droid Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S2 Rivalry Tightens ? Same Release Date, Same Selling Features?

Exclusive: Verizon passes on GALAXY S II, but 'similar' Samsung phone launching soon

If Stratosphere happens to be a Galaxy S II phone instead of the rebadged Epic but with LTE, I'd be up for it. Even more if it's also a slider (doubt it...slider lovers are lucky VZW's giving us the D3 and Epic W/LTE. :-\)

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok the woman said they have the charge in their portfolio.. she didn't say they weren't ever releasing another Samsung Verizon phone. Probably isn't supposed to leak any info and that's why she "Wouldn't elaborate" fwiw gs2 would be a foolish device to let pass by.. even with the prime its about money

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Did you factor in Sprint's port-in credit as well?

Port In Credit

That'll pay your wife's ETF and still leave you with a few bucks in your pocket. I don't know if it'll work if you buy them at Best Buy though. The terms say Sprint online, telesales or store. Good luck!
That's great. The reason I wanted to do best buy was for their insurance. I like how they try to repair your device and replace it with a brand new one if they can't . Refurb cycle blows but I'll have to reconsider it for this credit. Quite a large credit surprisingly.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That's great. The reason I wanted to do best buy was for their insurance. I like how they try to repair your device and replace it with a brand new one if they can't . Refurb cycle blows but I'll have to reconsider it for this credit. Quite a large credit surprisingly.

I'd call Sprint sales ahead of time and see if they'll honor the port-in credit if you purchase and activate your phones at Best Buy. Even if it's not in the terms, they may do it anyways. Sprint tends to go the extra mile to grab a new customer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX