09-01-2011 08:05 AM
118 ... 345
tools
    Edit: Can I also add real fast, that you can't receive OTA updates, as far as I'm aware, while rooted anyway?
    Yes you can receive OTA updates while rooted (as long as your not on a custom ROM), more often than not you will lose root.
    08-31-2011 01:24 PM
    Yes you can receive OTA updates while rooted (as long as your not on a custom ROM), more often than not you will lose root.
    Which is my point. Several custom roms block out updates, and most people who root also run custom kernels with custom roms. It defeats the whole purpose entirely. Unless you plan on running vanilla Android for the 2 years you're going to own the phone, you're probably going to experiment with roms. Given we don't know how "cool" ICS is going to look and how smooth it will operate, so we can't make those assumptions out right.
    Rominucka likes this.
    08-31-2011 01:32 PM
    Which is my point. Several custom roms block out updates, and most people who root also run custom kernels with custom roms. It defeats the whole purpose entirely. Unless you plan on running vanilla Android for the 2 years you're going to own the phone, you're probably going to experiment with roms. Given we don't know how "cool" ICS is going to look and how smooth it will operate, so we can't make those assumptions out right.
    If most of us are going to root and rom, then it is a moot point whether or not it is "Bloated" or "Branded". "Difficulty" then becomes the main point.
    Rominucka likes this.
    08-31-2011 01:51 PM
    somthing tells me it won't be a "nexus" like phone at all, and more a touch wiz experience, and...god forbid 2.3.4
    08-31-2011 02:22 PM
    somthing tells me it won't be a "nexus" like phone at all, and more a touch wiz experience, and...god forbid 2.3.4
    A Nexus with TouchWiz? That doesn't even begin to make sense.
    08-31-2011 02:26 PM
    If most of us are going to root and rom, then it is a moot point whether or not it is "Bloated" or "Branded". "Difficulty" then becomes the main point.
    True enough.
    08-31-2011 02:57 PM
    has this been confirmed yet?
    08-31-2011 03:42 PM
    A Nexus with TouchWiz? That doesn't even begin to make sense.
    "droid" prime, that tells me that, or that vzw will load it with bloatware like...vzw navigator (which doesn't work near as well as the default google nav does, plus they charge extra for a free service)
    vcast, which is pointless, because i don't even live in a vcast area.
    myVerizon, has a use, i pay my bills with it :P

everything else is pointless, yeah, it has skype, but, i hardly use my skype account, and when i do it's just to record audio for a side-project that i've been procrastinating on.
    08-31-2011 03:46 PM
    "droid" prime, that tells me that, or that vzw will load it with bloatware like...vzw navigator (which doesn't work near as well as the default google nav does, plus they charge extra for a free service)
    vcast, which is pointless, because i don't even live in a vcast area.
    myVerizon, has a use, i pay my bills with it :P

everything else is pointless, yeah, it has skype, but, i hardly use my skype account, and when i do it's just to record audio for a side-project that i've been procrastinating on.
    It's BGR vs. many much more seasoned and trustworthy Android insiders... IMO, the "Droid" Prime doesn't exist, and we're all wasting valuable energy worrying about it.
    MetalPhoenix79 and irl Panda like this.
    08-31-2011 04:56 PM
    Not sure where I heard it, if it was from P3Droid or not, but when we heard reports of the NP seen at a Verizon is where the confusion began. Someone at Verizon said is that the new Droid, meaning is that the newest Android phone. Hence the birth of Droid Prime. For my money, there is no Droid Prime only Nexus Prime. Take those words for what it is worth. As far as I know no one outside of BGR is referencing the Droid Prime unless they are referring to the BGR report.
    TuxDotKing likes this.
    08-31-2011 07:02 PM
    Oh my God, that actually makes complete sense!!!!
    It is common for Verizon employees to call any Android phone a "Droid". All my co-workers do it and it concerned me at first, but they explained that it makes it less complicated to call all Androids Droids as to not confuse the customers.
    Even all of our inventories list the phones as "Droids"

Samsung Droid Fascinate
    HTC Droid Thunderbolt
    LG Droid Vortex (our most profitable Android phone BTW)
    08-31-2011 07:17 PM
    Not sure where I heard it, if it was from P3Droid or not, but when we heard reports of the NP seen at a Verizon is where the confusion began. Someone at Verizon said is that the new Droid, meaning is that the newest Android phone. Hence the birth of Droid Prime. For my money, there is no Droid Prime only Nexus Prime. Take those words for what it is worth. As far as I know no one outside of BGR is referencing the Droid Prime unless they are referring to the BGR report.
    I would believe p3 over others. He knows people and it shows with his leaks... and the nasty Samsung letter he got for talking about the nexus prime.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Johnly likes this.
    08-31-2011 07:23 PM
    Oh my God, that actually makes complete sense!!!!
    It is common for Verizon employees to call any Android phone a "Droid". All my co-workers do it and it concerned me at first, but they explained that it makes it less complicated to call all Androids Droids as to not confuse the customers.
    Even all of our inventories list the phones as "Droids"

Samsung Droid Fascinate
    HTC Droid Thunderbolt
    LG Droid Vortex (our most profitable Android phone BTW)
    I remember getting the of Droid and then everyone with a android phone would say I got a Droid too and then but out just a android phone. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how this started.

08-31-2011 07:26 PM
    I remember getting the of Droid and then everyone with a android phone would say I got a Droid too and then but out just a android phone. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how this started.

I am all for a NPrime over a Droid Prime but will probably take either and sell the bolt.
    08-31-2011 08:12 PM
    I for one cannot wait to see how this one will play out. With the Bionic launching next week, this starts the fall (close enough anyway) onslaught of high-end devices from big red. I am using a Dinc2 for the time being while waiting for my next superphone. I am really looking forward to the probability of a Nexus device on big red. I have missed the vanilla experience since my OG Droid. I for one have rooted before but it is not necessary for me. These devices do what I need them to do right out of the box. I can customize it just the way I like it. The options is why I choose Android. To have a Nexus device would be great. Like I stated before, I cannot wait to see how this plays out.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    killerants likes this.
    09-01-2011 02:51 AM
    I think the nexus prime should have access to apples medical Apps. Damn you school for making the iPhone the medical standard! Shakes fist vigorously, then calms and accepts and moves on
    Mac58 likes this.
    09-01-2011 07:29 AM
    I think the nexus prime should have access to apples medical Apps. Damn you school for making the iPhone the medical standard! Shakes fist vigorously, then calms and accepts and moves on
    I know how you feel. My company just rolled out 45,000 iphones to the field. Can't wait to break mine.

sent by CyanogenMod X
    09-01-2011 07:51 AM
    I know how you feel. My company just rolled out 45,000 iphones to the field. Can't wait to break mine.

sent by CyanogenMod X
    Ha Ha ha! I wish I could afford to run multiple devices (post graduation? but being a student, I will have to run iOS for awhile. Being the device will be mine, I am going to see what software I can break too.
    09-01-2011 08:05 AM
118 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD