Droid Prime in October for Verizon

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
This will probably be an experience close to the OG Droid. I stated before that marketing was a big factor in why the Nexus line hasn't sold that well. I think this is the most efficient way to sell the phone to the general public. People know Droid phones and they know Galaxy phones (kinda). There is a very small amount of people that know what a Nexus device is and what it stands for. A lot of people like to stick to their brand. If someone had a good Motorola Droid phone and are looking to upgrade, they are either going to go for the best deal or stick with brand loyalty. Hell, most people here are the same way. This gives the Prime an actual chance to compete, although overall, it doesn't benefit the Nexus line as a whole. For those of you waiting, keep your fingers crossed.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap I prettty much predicted this the other day. Look: http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/113723-no-galaxy-sii-verizon-2.html#post1200640 . I had everything right except the date. Even I don't think this phone is coming in October though. Just because this device is the first to launch with stock ICS though, I'm still worried because it won't technically be a Nexus, meaning the updates you see might not be the same as a true Nexus. Samsung has not been good with updating their phones, look at the Charge and Fascinate, they are both still on Froyo. Expect this one to be stuck on ICS.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This now makes sense on why they passed on the GSII in favor of the Prime (a phone that has not been marketed to the masses in the past). It was odd that they passed on the GSII which had sold very well outside the states. Verizon branding the Prime a "Droid" will give it the marketing muscle needed to make this phone sell well. So if "October" is the target release date it won't be long before we see a Droid Prime marketing blitz.

g_schrage52

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap I prettty much predicted this the other day. Look: http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/113723-no-galaxy-sii-verizon-2.html#post1200640 . I had everything right except the date. Even I don't think this phone is coming in October though. Just because this device is the first to launch with stock ICS though, I'm still worried because it won't technically be a Nexus, meaning the updates you see might not be the same as a true Nexus. Samsung has not been good with updating their phones, look at the Charge and Fascinate, they are both still on Froyo. Expect this one to be stuck on ICS.
Sounds like P3Droids latest tweet. He has been spot on so far.

"The prime will not make october"

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
P3Droid, BlackManX and Droid-Life sources all say it's not going to be called the Droid Prime. More rubbish from BGR just trying to get hits. Kind of sad since they used to be somewhat credible.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

Scottatron

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
No way Google would release a handset that only works on one carrier.

If anything, it will be a world phone that simply launches on Verizon first.

g_schrage52

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
P3Droid, BlackManX and Droid-Life sources all say it's not going to be called the Droid Prime. More rubbish from BGR just trying to get hits. Kind of sad since they used to be somewhat credible.
Could not agree more. Why else post 75 articles on the iphone from every analyst that wants to get press.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
As I said.. I hope that the device launches in Oct as I know alot of people are waiting for it.. but it isnt a nexus if its droid branded. Droid devices come with verizon software such as wallpapers, sounds and apps like Vcast and the like.. That isnt the basis or meaning of the nexus program and any period of exclusive sales wont last long because LTE isnt just for Vzw customers only... now is it?

Panda

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
As I said.. I hope that the device launches in Oct as I know alot of people are waiting for it.. but it isnt a nexus if its droid branded. Droid devices come with verizon software such as wallpapers, sounds and apps like Vcast and the like.. That isnt the basis or meaning of the nexus program and any period of exclusive sales wont last long because LTE isnt just for Vzw customers only... now is it?

Panda

i tend to agree that the Droid branding isn't very likely. but, on the other hand, the OG was about as close to a Nexus device as you can get, and it had the Droid branding. also, i come back to the fact that Nexus devices, historically, haven't been big sellers. if Google wants a seller, and wants to get ICS out into the world, Droid branding may just do the trick. hopefully, tho, Google doesn't have to capitulate to allowing all the vzw bloatware on the device just to get the Droid name.

either way, it's looking like i'm pretty much set on either the Prime or DHD for my next device.

equake

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If this is HD AMOLED dual-core with stock ICS this would be the phone to beat and go head to head with the Vigor. The Bionic is going to be obsoleted in a matter of months.

Heres' hoping Black Friday is the last of my OG Droid...

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Google would want a Top selling phone. they are making a killing on everyone licensing there OS . Why would you take that a way to sell phones that you yourself don't even make. IMO and from what i read and see , Google wants phone that isn't changed and will showcase what the OS is really like and can do. Call it a Pure phone, Vanilla, Nexus, Whatever but they know as tech people that Android fans want this to and if those that want these types of phones buy them great, job done if they get to sell more then expected , even better. But they don't want to take away sells from Manufacturers that feed them. Do they want the Google brand spread out? Yes, i would think so but not to try to take out Apple or who ever with there own phone. They are doing great the way they're doing it now. they are at what 600.000 Android phones a day now. It has nothing to do with the advertising power of Verizon. IMO