Droid Prime in October for Verizon

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What was that phone that Verizon passed on recently? I forgot.....because I'm super silly JAZZED about the EVIL SAMSUNG DROID PRIME!!!!!!
This is going to be AAAAAAWESOME!!!!

And I hope it isn't stock ICS....I want an updated TW4 on this BEAST!!! Unless ICS is better.
I feel so much better about this. I wasn't all that happy with having an already used model with the GS2, and adding a little here or there wouldn't be enough for me. Now we get an exclusive ALL AMERICAN BANGER!!!!

Verizon is brilliant for doing this. HATS OFF TO VZW AND HEY SAMMY SAMSUNG!!!

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
What was that phone that Verizon passed on recently? I forgot.....because I'm super silly JAZZED about the EVIL SAMSUNG DROID PRIME!!!!!!
This is going to be AAAAAAWESOME!!!!

And I hope it isn't stock ICS....I want an updated TW4 on this BEAST!!! Unless ICS is better.
I feel so much better about this. I wasn't all that happy with having an already used model with the GS2, and adding a little here or there wouldn't be enough for me. Now we get an exclusive ALL AMERICAN BANGER!!!!

Verizon is brilliant for doing this. HATS OFF TO VZW AND HEY SAMMY SAMSUNG!!!

You missed the bus, my man.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

May 1, 2011
Visit site
As I said.. I hope that the device launches in Oct as I know alot of people are waiting for it.. but it isnt a nexus if its droid branded. Droid devices come with verizon software such as wallpapers, sounds and apps like Vcast and the like.. That isnt the basis or meaning of the nexus program and any period of exclusive sales wont last long because LTE isnt just for Vzw customers only... now is it?

Panda

Funny, my OG Droid didn't come with VZW software like Vcast, although it did have the Droid sounds and possibly wallpapers. Same as the Xoom, stock Android on VZW without the bloat. I'd rather have a new Nexus, but I'll be happy with a Droid that's stock ICS.

Reactions: Voltai

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I don't think Google would want a Top selling phone. they are making a killing on everyone licensing there OS . Why would you take that a way to sell phones that you yourself don't even make. IMO and from what i read and see , Google wants phone that isn't changed and will showcase what the OS is really like and can do. Call it a Pure phone, Vanilla, Nexus, Whatever but they know as tech people that Android fans want this to and if those that want these types of phones buy them great, job done if they get to sell more then expected , even better. But they don't want to take away sells from Manufacturers that feed them. Do they want the Google brand spread out? Yes, i would think so but not to try to take out Apple or who ever with there own phone. They are doing great the way they're doing it now. they are at what 600.000 Android phones a day now. It has nothing to do with the advertising power of Verizon. IMO

I thought that Google offered it free to companies as open source and didn't make money on it by letting brands use it. I guess I was thinking the wrong thing here.

sent by CyanogenMod X

Reactions: sndplace

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought that Google offered it free to companies as open source and didn't make money on it by letting brands use it. I guess I was thinking the wrong thing here.

sent by CyanogenMod X

You are correct. I also think that the only profit Google makes from Nexus phones is what the OEM bid to make the device. Could be wrong on that, though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Muscle Master#AC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion.. The Nexus Line is Google's flagship android phone.. thus google has the right of how the phone is market.. which carrier, hardware.. etc

That's the way it has been for the Nexus One and the Nexus S as well, to let Verizon have it's way and call it a Droid is stupid!!!

Verizon is nothing but a greedy ass corp. Google has more power than they think.. google need to tell them They want the phone named Nexus Prime and nothing more.. no bloatware or anything of the sort, or you can kiss our ass!!!

Don't see any branding or bloatware on the Verizon iPhone do we.. cause Apple wasn't trying to hear that crap.. This is our phone.. sell it "how we want" or no phone at all

Last edited:
Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

Manchild Prodigy

Count of Monte Fisto
Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion.. The Nexus Line is Google's flagship android phone.. thus google has the right of how the phone is market.. which carrier, hardware.. etc

That's the way it has been for the Nexus One and the Nexus S as well, to let Verizon have it's way and call it a Droid is stupid!!!

Verizon is nothing but a greedy ass corp. Google has more power than they think.. google need to tell them They want the phone named Nexus Prime and nothing more.. no bloatware or anything of the sort, or you can kiss our ass!!!

Don't see any branding or bloatware on the Verizon iPhone do we.. cause Apple wasn't trying to hear that crap.. This is our phone.. sell it "how we want" or no phone at all

I'd be more than willing to let Verizon have their way with the name if it means pure ICS with no bloatware. They can call it the Smoky Banjo for all I care, I just want the previously mentioned pure ICS experience.

Reactions: Tagged

Muscle Master#AC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd be more than willing to let Verizon have their way with the name if it means pure ICS with no bloatware. They can call it the Smoky Banjo for all I care, I just want the pure ICS experience.

Which should be a privilege at Google's discretion.. For Verizon to say "we want to call it this or that" is just simply greed

Manchild Prodigy

Count of Monte Fisto
Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Which should be a privilege at Google's discretion.. For Verizon to say "we want to call it this or that" is just simply greed

Changing the name has no effect on the software. If it were to be marketed under a different name but without bloatware, it would only break the naming scheme. That being said, I'd still consider it "pure." Maybe not in name but certainly in function, and that's quite alright with me.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

i don't mind calling it a Droid. in fact, Google might want the Droid branding attached to it, since that name, alone, carries a certain marketing influence. however, if they were to include the bloat that usually accompanies Droid devices, then i would be against it.

but, i disagree with you on one point, and that is the comparison to Apple. Apple can get away with making demands about the branding, cuz there's only one iP. in contrast, there are tons of Android devices available, so Google doesn't really have the "take it or leave it" bargaining position.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

sent by CyanogenMod X
I stand corrected. I am thinking of 1 way business ways. thank you for this . I don't know if it was ment as sarcasm but i will take it as pointing me to new information. Google does license out Android for free and pays the Manufacturers money for putting the OS on their phones. In turn they get paid thru our searches on Google ... So this being the case they do make money off the OS being on all these companies phones just not thru lic fees. Genius... Why Android is Getting so much Traction: Think Less than Free I read other stuff this seamed to make more sense to me even though its a bit old. I don't think there practice has changed much but i can again be proven wrong...;)

Reactions: tntdroid

Xephik

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess this kills my plan to move to T-Mobile for the Prime. I identified 4 reasons:

1. Cheaper rates
2. 4G blankets almost all of Long Island
3. The Prime, of course
4. WiFi calling/texting. I'm literally 1 house away from the Long Island Sound, so I get horrible service with ALL carriers at my house. Sometimes I need to switch rooms just to send out a text with Verizon.

This development pretty much kills this idea. Yes the rates will be higher, and yes there is no LTE on Long Island, and I may experience the same craptastic service using a Prime (Or might not, my girlfriend's Dinc never has a problem at my house. Same radio and ROM and everything). But me not paying a $200 ETF and then dropping another $200 or so for the Prime outweighs it all in my book.

I was creeping Engadget the other day. The Nexus S went through the FCC around 11/11/2011 ish I believe, and was announced the first week of December if I remember correctly. I bet we'll get some solid info on this baby within the next 2-3 weeks. Of course the iPhone 5 takes all the news these days so its hard to make a legit projection on this.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
IMHO I'm calling bunk on the BGR article.

1. As far as the name change goes, I can't see Google giving in with this demand considering they didn't with the first two phones. I understand Verizon's position as a carrier but I don't believe it.

2. As it has been said before, it has been disputed. P3Droid, BlackManX and Droid-Life sources all say it's not going to be called the Droid Prime.

3. I can't see Google allowing Verizon to be the exclusive carrier of ICS for any period of time. Google has passed on them twice (or vice versa) and could happen again. ICS is supposed to be unifying. Doesn't really start to unify the OS when it is on only one carrier.

Maybe Verizon will get there way but I hope not. I'm a Verizon customer and I just want the Prime they WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
IMHO I'm calling bunk on the BGR article.

3. I can't see Google allowing Verizon to be the exclusive carrier of ICS for any period of time. Google has passed on them twice (or vice versa) and could happen again. ICS is supposed to be unifying. Doesn't really start to unify the OS when it is on only one carrier.

Who said anything about Verizon being the exclusive carrier for ICS? Being first and being exclusive aren't the same thing.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Who said anything about Verizon being the exclusive carrier for ICS? Being first and being exclusive aren't the same thing.

Well if you are the first carrier to have it....by definition it is exclusive. It's just the period of time that it is exclusive. That may mean days, weeks, etc. I specifically say for a period of time. Not forever.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Does this make my OG Droid a Nexus 0.5?

That would be perfect - I always wanted a Nexus on a real network. Turns out I had it all along.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I stand corrected. I am thinking of 1 way business ways. thank you for this . I don't know if it was ment as sarcasm but i will take it as pointing me to new information. Google does license out Android for free and pays the Manufacturers money for putting the OS on their phones. In turn they get paid thru our searches on Google ... So this being the case they do make money off the OS being on all these companies phones just not thru lic fees. Genius... Why Android is Getting so much Traction: Think Less than Free I read other stuff this seamed to make more sense to me even though its a bit old. I don't think there practice has changed much but i can again be proven wrong...;)

No sarcasm I don't like it and we don't want it in the forums. I thought I was thinking wrong and thinking the whole open source thing was just that others could use it. Both learned something today. Thanks for the other info.

sent by CyanogenMod X

Reactions: sndplace

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty