What you want in ICS

rightontime

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't about the phone itself but the OS is part of the phone so it's close enough.

What exactly do you guys want in ICS or future OS upgrades?

1. I've been saying this before imessage but google needs to make Gtalk more like BBM. If they combined huddle with Gtalk that would be good enough. Android already puts a green dot next to the persons name in the messaging app so maybe expand more on that?

2. If anyone has used the app Power Strip then i want that something like that app to be integrated into android. Double tap/long press the home button and something like this will pop up. Having widgets and shortcuts always accessible
screenshot-1314663272145.png

fixed.jpg

3. Better stock apps and widgets. Calendar widget is mediocre, stock messaging and email app could use some touching up, chrome bookmark syncing, etc.

4. Copy/paste everywhere.

5. More control in the notification window. Clearing notifications one by one, music controls for music apps like pandora or slacker. MIUI/CM7 like power controls in the window.

6. Hardware acceleration

So what do you guys want?

Reactions: Krasin

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What I really want to see is just an improved stock experience. I think that if Google wants this device to compete with Apple, there needs to be a big step in the superficiality of the OS. Since the content is already there, not much needs to be added; but a lot needs to be spruced up. A few examples: prettier widgets, smooth unified animations, better dialer, more socially integrated (w/ fbook, twitter and G+), and overall nicer graphics for the homescreen. Just a lot of what Sense offers and some of what Touchwiz offers (and definitely stay away from what Blur has done). Polishing and improving and getting away from techy-greatness and offer a more mainstream appearance. If they really want a phone that is going to sell and appeal to a mass-audience, that is what they need to do.

I keep going back and forth on whether I should buy the Prime or the Vigor, and it really comes down to how stock ICS is going to look. Trying to stay positive, but if those leaked screenshots prove to be true, I will not be purchasing the Prime.

Reactions: elvisgp

rightontime

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: elvisgp

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I even posted in it!! Though I felt your thread was more of how it will look and I made this thread sort of as a wishlist of features people want in ICS or future android versions. If the mods want to close/merge this thread then go right ahead.

lol. its alright. I understand why you made this thread. I'm fine with the mods merging this with mine thread, but it doesn't derserve to be closed. lol, sorry if I got a little mad. :)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
More of a hardware issue and something we wont see ... I like physical buttons. I'm not too keen on having an operating system that has button overlays. I'd much prefer an actual button that I can press, and preferably hard buttons, but could deal with capacitive buttons. I just think that this is where asthetics has gone to an extreme and made functionality worse.

From a software side, I'd love to see the OS take more advantage of the hardware, particularly dual (or multiple) core CPUs and graphics hardware acceleration. With hardware that's continuously improving, the software needs to try and keep up and from what I can tell so far, it's on the trailing edge.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
More of a hardware issue and something we wont see ... I like physical buttons. I'm not too keen on having an operating system that has button overlays. I'd much prefer an actual button that I can press, and preferably hard buttons, but could deal with capacitive buttons. I just think that this is where asthetics has gone to an extreme and made functionality worse.

From a software side, I'd love to see the OS take more advantage of the hardware, particularly dual (or multiple) core CPUs and graphics hardware acceleration. With hardware that's continuously improving, the software needs to try and keep up and from what I can tell so far, it's on the trailing edge.

Wouldn't this actually be BETTER? I can imagine that waterproof phones will come more frequently due to the fact there aren't as many buttons (only power, volume rocker, maybe camera button). But I have to keep in mind that not all phones have a unibody design...

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't about the phone itself but the OS is part of the phone so it's close enough.

What exactly do you guys want in ICS or future OS upgrades?

1. I've been saying this before imessage but google needs to make Gtalk more like BBM. If they combined huddle with Gtalk that would be good enough. Android already puts a green dot next to the persons name in the messaging app so maybe expand more on that?

2. If anyone has used the app Power Strip then i want that something like that app to be integrated into android. Double tap/long press the home button and something like this will pop up. Having widgets and shortcuts always accessible
screenshot-1314663272145.png

fixed.jpg

3. Better stock apps and widgets. Calendar widget is mediocre, stock messaging and email app could use some touching up, chrome bookmark syncing, etc.

4. Copy/paste everywhere.

5. More control in the notification window. Clearing notifications one by one, music controls for music apps like pandora or slacker. MIUI/CM7 like power controls in the window.

6. Hardware acceleration

So what do you guys want?

Man I have ben wondering about that same Gtalk issue since I got my Evo in 2010. When im chatting with someone on gmail.com I can see when their typing ect. Why isnt it like that on phones too?

I think BBM will get it right before google will. I played around with a playbook and could u imagine BBM on QNX with video chat integrated in?? #WINNING

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I want a seamless experience from my phone to my tablet (and eventually to my laptop, tv, fridge, etc. but this is about ICS not Yogurt).

It would be great to see improved GUI, I am coming from webOS and to me Gingerbread doesn't seem cohesive and the GUI needs to be improved. I think Matias Duarte will really have his hand in ICS, more so than he would have had in either GB or Honeycomb.

ienjoysoup08

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I never see anybody suggest this but I want the top bar to be moved to the bottom with the buttons on screen. like honeycomb. I don't want a pull down bar like we have now. I want one bar at the bottom that stays there all the time even if we are in a full screen game. that way I don't have to leave the app just to see who sent me a text. I would also like if they put a search bar there too so I could easily to a system search from any app. allowing me to search music,contacts,google,apps. and also quickly go to a wikipedia page like in webOS would be nice.

I would also like to see a huge improvement in multitasking. something like in honeycomb but going to the sides instead of up and down.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't this actually be BETTER? I can imagine that waterproof phones will come more frequently due to the fact there aren't as many buttons (only power, volume rocker, maybe camera button). But I have to keep in mind that not all phones have a unibody design...

Not from my standpoint. I like feedback when pressing buttons, and not just the haptic feedback from typing on screen. I also like to know that my fingers can automatically go to a certain spot on the phone and know what I'm pressing without having to actually look at it -- more of a trained response. That's not possible with on screen buttons. Also, the fact that a device may or may not have buttons doesn't impede the ability to create waterproof device. There are a number of devices that have physical buttons and are waterproof.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
i want speech bubbles in the AOSP messaging app and a better clock app that also has a stop watch... i can't believe in stock 2.3 there's not a stop watch feature in the clock app

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I never see anybody suggest this but I want the top bar to be moved to the bottom with the buttons on screen. like honeycomb. I don't want a pull down bar like we have now. I want one bar at the bottom that stays there all the time even if we are in a full screen game. that way I don't have to leave the app just to see who sent me a text. I would also like if they put a search bar there too so I could easily to a system search from any app. allowing me to search music,contacts,google,apps. and also quickly go to a wikipedia page like in webOS would be nice.

I would also like to see a huge improvement in multitasking. something like in honeycomb but going to the sides instead of up and down.

That sounds like a good idea to have the notification bar on the bottom, especially with all these huge screens that are going to be on our future phones, so it will be easier to reach your notifications bar instead of scooching your hand up to the top.

Reactions: ienjoysoup08

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Full hardware acceleration (can't stand the sluggishness)
Improved and more consistent GUI
Gaming platform (like Game Center)
Improved notifications menu (allow us to individually clear notifications etc.)
Better stock apps (features and again improve the UI)
Better stock widgets
Better hardware optimization

Google needs to really improve stock Android and not keep it so bare bones. The average consumer should be able to pick up a stock android device and enjoy the experience as much as a Sense device. If the extent of this upgrade is what we saw in those leaked pics, I will be VERY disappointed and probably not use Android until Google gets it's act together. It's frustrating how google literally never releases a finished product. This must change.

ienjoysoup08

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like a good idea to have the notification bar on the bottom, especially with all these huge screens that are going to be on our future phones, so it will be easier to reach your notifications bar instead of scooching your hand up to the top.

thats what im saying. i have an evo and this would make life much easier

rightontime

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Ever since this thread I have put the notification tray on the bottom and I didn't think I would like it there but honestly it isnt too bad. I still prefer it at the top but with a few tweeks putting it at the bottom would be good.

Pierce09

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Take your Honeycomb tablet, make sure auto-rotation is enabled, and turn your tablet to portrait mode...scale it down to fit on a phone's screen, and THAT is what I want in ICS. FLUID AND SMOOTH browser, smooth animations, and the great look of honeycomb. With unified code to prevent fragmentation. Google, this shouldn't be that difficult. I promise you will have a winning OS if you accomplish this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7